JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...
Jun 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #451 of 692
Quote:
Maybe I'm going to have to sell this amp... I need to adjust the gain of my mp3 files and bring it down to 72db in order to get proper volume control with my ES5. And after having compared for a little while, the improvement is quite marginal from the ipod H/O that I'm starting to think that it's not worth it. Somebody at hydrogenaudio is calling me a "stupid hipster" for using portable amps for IEM's because this decreases fidelity and increases gain. Well I've seen many people using portable amps with IEM's on head-fi, so are we all stupid hipsters or what
rolleyes.gif
?

Are you using an LOD?

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #453 of 692
Quote:
Well I've seen many people using portable amps with IEM's on head-fi, so are we all stupid hipsters or what
rolleyes.gif
?

No clue about that other forum.

Many IEMs (not all, of course) benefit from amplification but of course your source file and formats also matter too. If you've got a lossy mp3 then you're starting from a lesser-fidelity position than if you had a lossless file to begin with.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #454 of 692
Quote:
Many IEMs (not all, of course) benefit from amplification but of course your source file and formats also matter too. If you've got a lossy mp3 then you're starting from a lesser-fidelity position than if you had a lossless file to begin with.

These are good points.  It's possible that your particular IEMs don't benefit much from an amp. 
I'd also be curious if you have let the amp burn in a bit.  Leave it running over night (even for a couple of days) on a shuffle of your source library and see if the sound changes for the better.  Mine definitely improved a bit vs. out of the box.

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #455 of 692
Quote:
These are good points.  It's possible that your particular IEMs don't benefit much from an amp. 
I'd also be curious if you have let the amp burn in a bit.  Leave it running over night (even for a couple of days) on a shuffle of your source library and see if the sound changes for the better.  Mine definitely improved a bit vs. out of the box.

Totally forgot the burn-in. I'll make sure to give it some time and see if I like it better.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #456 of 692
Just ordered a c421 2227. I'll be comparing it to the O2, source being the JDS ODAC. I hope to add another opinion to the mix sometime next week :)  

-M

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #457 of 692
I have the very setup and I prefer the pairing of the C421/ODAC vs the O2/ODAC.  Between the amps, the bass is more prominent on the C421 over the O2 and that's with the switch set to flat.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #462 of 692
Quote:
I've had battery problem with one of my C421 amps before. Recently, the same problem occurred on another C421 amp of mine. It can't charge at all. :frowning2: Anyone having the same problem?

This was an issue way back in one of the early batches (1-2% production error), but it was easily resolved. You'll find posts in this very thread about it.

We now double check charging of every c421 to ensure proper operation. Four charging test points are measured after production, then we completely charge each amp. Not a single amp has failed this test since the production fix. Please contact us if you have trouble.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #463 of 692
I am really liking my c421 with the 2227 op. It is a little meatier sounding and maybe a bit more sparkly than the O2 at times. Detail retrieval is excellent and as good as the O2 imo. But, the previous statement may be due to the c421 seeming a bit more snappy in the treble. This amp is definitely worth it paired with the ODAC! Killer combo, looks, size, function, and build are excellent. It handles the Paradox, which can be hungry at times, pretty well (with bass boost on and low gain). The D2000 are excellent out of it as well, at times the treble can be hot with the Denon since I think the odac is a bit treble hot mixing with the Denon smiley face freq (note: my d2k are partial markl modded). For me the O2 still wins when I want truth, but dang is the c421 enjoyable.

Thought I would jot down some impressions after 5 days with the c421. 

-M

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #464 of 692
Thanks for the feedback. Am now gearing towards pulling the trigger on the c421 ad8620. I returned a asgard recently because i did not like the sound signature i was getting. I want more thickness and fullness - basically more bass and c421 will fit the bill. And based on this i really am not a audiophille but rather somebody who just wants to enjoy the music the way i want it to sound like. Will post my findings and maybe compare the cmoybb and c421 and asgard from memory since i dont have it anymore.

Wondering about the Asgard vs C421 vs o2 for HD600. I too would like a little bass boost. Coming from E11 which is okay but want some improvement.

On iPhone (power/internet service knocked out in dc area) so apologize if this has been covered.

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #465 of 692
I'm finally able to use my standalone ODAC paired with my C421 to 1964 Ears Quads... Am I floored? Yes! Absolutely. I've used so many different USB DACs but this ODAC + C421 combo is absolutely amazing. Probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. The form factor is also very cool. It's like the equivalent of CLAS + ALO MKII only without breaking the bank. I want to thank JDS Labs for putting out such amazing products without actually killing our wallets. It is possible to produce great products without actually ripping your customers off, read: ALO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back