JDS Labs O2 amp good for DT880 600 ohm+ Audioengine D1?
Dec 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Leveler

500+ Head-Fier
I already ordered the Audioengine D1, but got an oportunity to get some DT880s (600ohm) from a fellow head-fier(stocked!!) but the problem is now I need an amp, I really don't have a budget (as in I have no money) but I'm selling some of my xbox games to cash some money, my budget is around $150 and the O2 seems perfect, but if you know another one you think could work better please recommend, I need an amp only, no amp/dac combo

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
I already ordered the Audioengine D1, but got an oportunity to get some DT880s (600ohm) from a fellow head-fier(stocked!!) but the problem is now I need an amp, I really don't have a budget (as in I have no money) but I'm selling some of my xbox games to cash some money, my budget is around $150 and the O2 seems perfect, but if you know another one you think could work better please recommend, I need an amp only, no amp/dac combo

Heya,

I would return/cancel the Audioengine. And use that to get a better overall DAC/AMP combination. I assume it was an impulse purchase.

But some options if you're not going to do that:

JDS O2
Schiit Magni
Little Dot MK II+
Maverick Audio A1

Very best,

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

The D1 has a DAC and if you don't need one, I would agree with MalVeauX: Return it.

The O2's designer specifically tested it with 600-Ohm Beyers, so it's more than suitable. I'm glad I bought one.

I don't have any experience with the others he's recommended.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Heya,

I would return/cancel the Audioengine. And use that to get a better overall DAC/AMP combination. I assume it was an impulse purchase.

But some options if you're not going to do that:

JDS O2
Schiit Magni
Little Dot MK II+
Maverick Audio A1

Very best,

Hi MalVeaux, nice to see your name!

it wasn't an impulse purchase, I thought for it for a while and by the time I ordered I only had low impedance cans
but then everything happened so quickly and now someone is sending me the Beyers. In case I can return the Audioengine what Dac would you recommend? I was comparing the D1 with the Maverick Audio D1 and in a thread I did a member told me he bought both and prefered the Dac of the Audioengine 

after looking at the release of the Schiit Magni I'm set on that one, I do not regret yet the purchase of the Audioengine because I can do this:

Home: Macbook->D1-> Magni-> DT880
transportable (coffee shops, school, etc): Macbook-> D1-> V- Moda M80

see what I mean?

still more feedback would be highly appreciated 
Thanks!!
Diego

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

The D1 has a DAC and if you don't need one, I would agree with MalVeauX: Return it.

The O2's designer specifically tested it with 600-Ohm Beyers, so it's more than suitable. I'm glad I bought one.

I don't have any experience with the others he's recommended.

No, the D1 would be my only DAC so I do need a DAC 

Thanks for the feedback!

Diego

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Hi MalVeaux, nice to see your name!

it wasn't an impulse purchase, I thought for it for a while and by the time I ordered I only had low impedance cans
but then everything happened so quickly and now someone is sending me the Beyers. In case I can return the Audioengine what Dac would you recommend? I was comparing the D1 with the Maverick Audio D1 and in a thread I did a member told me he bought both and prefered the Dac of the Audioengine 

after looking at the release of the Schiit Magni I'm set on that one, I do not regret yet the purchase of the Audioengine because I can do this:

Home: Macbook->D1-> Magni-> DT880
transportable (coffee shops, school, etc): Macbook-> D1-> V- Moda M80

see what I mean?

still more feedback would be highly appreciated 
Thanks!!
Diego

Heya,

I think you'll find you're going to hear more difference from the headphone and then the amp before you notice a difference in DAC.

Anyhow, if you're set on it, nothing wrong with that. Was just wondering if it was impulse or not, and if it was, I would return and just get a matching Schiit DAC or an HRT Music Streamer II or Fiio E17 or something like that instead. But again, if it's what you wanted, then you're good to go. Adding a simple solid state amp with good power output will cover the DT880 600ohm no problem. I think you'll find the 600ohm DT880 will actually have plenty of volume from even a weaker amp. Despite their high impedance, they're rather efficient and easy to drive.

Very best,

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Heya,

I think you'll find you're going to hear more difference from the headphone and then the amp before you notice a difference in DAC.

Anyhow, if you're set on it, nothing wrong with that. Was just wondering if it was impulse or not, and if it was, I would return and just get a matching Schiit DAC or an HRT Music Streamer II or Fiio E17 or something like that instead. But again, if it's what you wanted, then you're good to go. Adding a simple solid state amp with good power output will cover the DT880 600ohm no problem. I think you'll find the 600ohm DT880 will actually have plenty of volume from even a weaker amp. Despite their high impedance, they're rather efficient and easy to drive.

Very best,

Hey! thanks for the response. I would consider to return The D1 and get the matching Schiits, as I would save a considerable amount of money, but I don't really need the extra money and I did bought the D1 out of wish :p.plus the whole transportable deal really appeals me. the only reason I could justify getting the Schiits if for looks, but that doesn't really justifies having the hassle of returning the D1 (I'm outside the U.S) so I think I'll stick to the D1/DT880 with the Magni

what and dac/amp would you recommend instead? do you think the E17 is better than the D1? right now I'm funding myself on selling my xbox games (it broke) and it's going kind of well so I'm open to se many posibilities it hurts my brain
confused_face.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #8 of 9
after making a comparison between the D1 and Modi I've noticed they are roughly identical, using the same DAC chip, both supporting 24/96 through usb (D1 goes up to 192 with optical). they weight the same and have real similar sizes, the only differences are the output via the rca (Modi is higher), and well, the D1 has an amp and it's more expensive... is it worth to change D1/Magni for the Schiit stack, or what else could you recommend 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back