JDS Labs Element
Mar 1, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #481 of 636
  Ok. I wonder if I'm hearing weird things. I need to take a deeper listen with more music. The sound from my MSI Gaming 6 motherboard, while more background hiss; seems to have more weight and oomph to the sound. Going through the Element makes it seem to lose information or just become sterile. Less lively. I've swapped my 6.5mm adapters, switched cables. I don't know. This thing doesn't sound nearly as good as my Oppo HA-2 did (which is what I returned to get this). I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Does this thing require "burn-in" to open up the sound?  HELP! Starting to get buyer's remorse.  FYI: I'm listening to this through my Oppo PM-3 headphones. My HF-400i will be here on Wednesday for me to try with this.

^ this is correct about the Element. It is neutral to the point where all the audio is smoothed out. Its not just you, I have tried my unit volume matched with my other amps, and come to the same conclusion. BUT I have never found it under powered - lol, way far from it. I can plug in my DT990 250ohm, and the Bass this thing puts out is amazing!(and if the music calls for it) - its actually too much for me. Also remember those molex connectors can provide Maximum of 132W (11a @ 12v) but that does not mean that all of that power is being sent straight to the Headphone Jack of the sound card. Also in amplifiers the topology and design play a huge role in power delivery. There is a huge difference in a sound card consuming 100W and a Amp with a toroidal transformer consuming 100W from the wall. Just my .02$

GL 

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #482 of 636
  ^ this is correct about the Element. It is neutral to the point where all the audio is smoothed out. Its not just you, I have tried my unit volume matched with my other amps, and come to the same conclusion. BUT I have never found it under powered - lol, way far from it. I can plug in my DT990 250ohm, and the Bass this thing puts out is amazing!(and if the music calls for it) - its actually too much for me. Also remember those molex connectors can provide Maximum of 132W (11a @ 12v) but that does not mean that all of that power is being sent straight to the Headphone Jack of the sound card. Also in amplifiers the topology and design play a huge role in power delivery. There is a huge difference in a sound card consuming 100W and a Amp with a toroidal transformer consuming 100W from the wall. Just my .02$

GL 

The "under-powered" is most definitely the amp on my motherboard, not the Element. The "lack" of "fun" is all about the Element.

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #483 of 636

The "under-powered" is most definitely the amp on my motherboard, not the Element. The "lack" of "fun" is all about the Element.

hehe - yes I agree, the neutrality of the element can be a buzz kill :frowning2: - I felt like that at first when I moved from my creative fatality x-fi, but now I am used to the more neutral sound signature.  

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #484 of 636
  hehe - yes I agree, the neutrality of the element can be a buzz kill :frowning2: - I felt like that at first when I moved from my creative fatality x-fi, but now I am used to the more neutral sound signature.  

Are you sure you didn't have some kind of DSP enabled?  Also, do you have any idea what the output impedance on the X-fi was?

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #485 of 636

Are you sure you didn't have some kind of DSP enabled?  Also, do you have any idea what the output impedance on the X-fi was?

Hi - yes I did have the equalizer enabled on my sound card, and it mucks up the audio :) 

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #486 of 636
Here is my JDS labs comparison with another AMP / DAC 

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #487 of 636
I will have to say. On initial listening. I like the JDS Labs with my HE-400i on the Diana Krall track "Temptation" @ 24/96. On my Oppo PM-3, I'd rather listen to that track on my Galaxy Note 3. Weird, I know. I need to do more listening.   I did notice though, I have to increase the gain to get the volume I need.

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #489 of 636
  My volume knob jiggle a little, is that normal?

Hi sir 

I am not really sure :frowning2: I will check mine, and report back

thank you

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #491 of 636
  My volume knob jiggle a little, is that normal?

The knob is secure against the Alps potentiometer shaft, and the shaft itself is responsible for this effect. You'll find that all potentiometers wobble, so the larger the knob, the more visible the effect. Try wiggling a knob on a home receiver the same way.

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #492 of 636
Agreed, I don't see it as an issue (the knob wiggle, it isn't a lot anyway).  The "fit and finish" on this thing is really nice! I will say though, it does like to pair better with certain headphones and less with others.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #493 of 636

The knob is secure against the Alps potentiometer shaft, and the shaft itself is responsible for this effect. You'll find that all potentiometers wobble, so the larger the knob, the more visible the effect. Try wiggling a knob on a home receiver the same way.

Hi - yes this seems normal :) - happens with my unit as well, but the knob is solid! - built like a tank :) 

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #494 of 636
Thanks for the answer. I may know a lot of things but I can not know everything and thats why I asked instead of assuming thing myself.

The only thing I can complain about the Element is I wish there is a button to switch between USB-input and RCA-input, instead of me unplugging the RCA-input cable to use USB-input.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #495 of 636

The only thing I can complain about the Element is I wish there is a button to switch between USB-input and RCA-input, instead of me unplugging the RCA-input cable to use USB-input.

#TRUTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back