JDS Labs Element
Nov 28, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #421 of 636
Hi folks, could someone perhaps give me some quick advice ? Someone mentioned these struggle with some 600Ohm headphones, is this true ? Hoping to get some 600Ohm DT990's at some point, would they be okay with this one ? Would also like to know how the bass behaves with the element. Ty in advance!

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #422 of 636
Hi folks, could someone perhaps give me some quick advice ? Someone mentioned these struggle with some 600Ohm headphones, is this true ? Hoping to get some 600Ohm DT990's at some point, would they be okay with this one ? Would also like to know how the bass behaves with the element. Ty in advance!

This pretty little DAC/amp have really lots of power. I've tried it with 600 ohm 880, and it drives them really easily. As for bass, The Element leans more to neutral side, but I likes it's bass speed and texture, so for me it's really nice option

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #424 of 636
@cleg thank you very much for the feedback ! I'm currently torn between the element and the vali/m2u. I'd have one more question, if you were to compare them just by their DAC's alone, which one would you choose ? Are the added coaxial ports an improvement compared to USB ? 

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #425 of 636
@cleg
 thank you very much for the feedback ! I'm currently torn between the element and the vali/m2u. I'd have one more question, if you were to compare them just by their DAC's alone, which one would you choose ? Are the added coaxial ports an improvement compared to USB ? 

I didn't heart any of Schiit

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #426 of 636
deleted

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #427 of 636

Hi - I will leave my two cents here

I think for 600OHM 990DT you might want to look at something with more power. I run my 250OHM DT 990 and for my taste it seems that it lacks the bass punch, however the neutrality is great. On Schiit Lyr my 990 sound awesome but with the beagle boys tubes, they sound very lean on the standard GE tubes. You really need an amp that helps equal out the 990 sound signature since it is a very V- shaped headphone, and it also needs power for the bass impact. 990 is tremendously bassy with the right amp.

Sorry - ignore my last post. This handles the 250 OHM 990 DT extremely well! - I think it will provide ample current @ 600 OHM. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #429 of 636
Thanks a lot for the feedback folks ! It seems there's another issue which I hadn't been aware until recently, is anyone actually using DT990s or 880s with the Element ? If so, is the treble on them bearable with the element combo ? Or do you like really need something warm with the beyers ? 

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #431 of 636
  Thanks a lot for the feedback folks ! It seems there's another issue which I hadn't been aware until recently, is anyone actually using DT990s or 880s with the Element ? If so, is the treble on them bearable with the element combo ? Or do you like really need something warm with the beyers ? 

lol - that depends on your ear sensitivity. To me the highs are tamed with the Element (990DT) - but to you it might sound different

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #433 of 636
I hope it's okay if I ask a few questions about this unit:

1. Based on reviews and specs, this is still an extremely neutral amp (much like the O2), is that correct?
2. Exactly what DAC chip is used in this unit?
3. Does the large volume knob control speaker volume when using the RCA outputs on the back?
4. Could it power power hungry headphones like the LCD-2 and HD650 adequately?
5. What are the low and high gain switches equivalent to? (e.g. 1.0x for low and 2.5x for high?)

I'm between this and the O2 amp/dac.

Thanks a lot
zombz

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #434 of 636
  I hope it's okay if I ask a few questions about this unit:

1. Based on reviews and specs, this is still an extremely neutral amp (much like the O2), is that correct?
2. Exactly what DAC chip is used in this unit?
3. Does the large volume knob control speaker volume when using the RCA outputs on the back?
4. Could it power power hungry headphones like the LCD-2 and HD650 adequately?
5. What are the low and high gain switches equivalent to? (e.g. 1.0x for low and 2.5x for high?)

I'm between this and the O2 amp/dac.

Thanks a lot
zombz

• I've never heard the O2. My guess is The Element is a little warmer, based solely on the reviews of the O2 sounding quite similar to the Schiit Magni. Both the O2 and Magni are neutral, while I have heard The Element and would call it slightly warm.
  • ODAC rev B
  • No
  • It has plenty of power!
  • 1x and 4.7x (I forgot - and had to look back at my review)

The DAC is the ODAC rev B, but I do believe the amplifier is different.

Dec 30, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #435 of 636

• I've never heard the O2. My guess is The Element is a little warmer, based solely on the reviews of the O2 sounding quite similar to the Schiit Magni. Both the O2 and Magni are neutral, while I have heard The Element and would call it slightly warm.
  • ODAC rev B
  • No
  • It has plenty of power!
  • 1x and 4.7x (I forgot - and had to look back at my review)

The DAC is the ODAC rev B, but I do believe the amplifier is different.

Thanks so much, I have heard the same thing re your answer to 1 from the Australian distributor of JDS labs.  Point 3 is a bummer to be honest, not sure why they wouldn't do that.

Really appreciate your reply!! Have a great new years eve :)
zambz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back