JDS Labs Element
Jul 16, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #198 of 636
The Element handles the HD 650 with aplomb, so you shouldn't have any worries on that count. I get more than ample volume at low gain, and the sonic presentation is of excellent quality for an amp at the Element's price point.

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #199 of 636
oh my oh my, this is a good element in audio. My faithful impressions:

1. The new DAC definitely better control and lower distortion than previous ODAC

2. The gain button is something useful, in case you want laid back relax sound or more push and omph, low gain or high gain

3. Overall the headamp towards dead neutral, transparent, and colorless implementation, so for some colorless headphone like HD598, it sound a little bit thin to me

4. Last I would like to point out, the slew rate maybe something I think maybe not enough, though I need to have more thorough testings with more headphones and speakers

Gears used in testing:
Blue Jeans (1/4inch jack to RCA, RCA cables, 3.5mm jack to RCA)
Supra RCA
JDS Labs ODAC
Sennheiser HD598
Wharfedale Diamond 122

My next test plan:
Sennheiser HD650
Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary Special Edition

Overall, I can label JDS Labs The Element as the audio gear that bring high end, hi-fidelity, musical relax sonic to your ears!

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #200 of 636
=(...Just got a bowers and wilkins p7 due to it's low impedanceso I wouldn't have to worry about getting an amp/DAC. This is my first purchase into expensive audio. Maybe for my next purchase I'll invest in amp/dac together with the sennheiser. 

Or should I return the P7 and get the Element/Senns?

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #201 of 636

My next test plan:
Sennheiser HD650
Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary Special Edition

Overall, I can label JDS Labs The Element as the audio gear that bring high end, hi-fidelity, musical relax sonic to your ears!

Thanks for the review!

I am interested in how this will sound with something like the HD650. When I ask the question, many people respond that it can drive the HD600 and HD650 just fine. But what I'm after is a little more subtle. For example, I recently compared the Schiit Vali to the Schiit Magni 2 (not Uber). Though I feel the Magni 2 is stronger, I prefer the Vali sound. I'm in the 1-2 weeks waiting period for the JDS Labs Element, so your reviews are appreciated!

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #202 of 636
  Thanks for the review!

I am interested in how this will sound with something like the HD650. When I ask the question, many people respond that it can drive the HD600 and HD650 just fine. But what I'm after is a little more subtle. For example, I recently compared the Schiit Vali to the Schiit Magni 2 (not Uber). Though I feel the Magni 2 is stronger, I prefer the Vali sound. I'm in the 1-2 weeks waiting period for the JDS Labs Element, so your reviews are appreciated!

If you prefer the Vali sound to the Magni sound, then the Element might not be for you.

What you are interested in finding out is the synergy or sound signature of the amp with your headphones, rather than whether the amp can drive your cans or not.

Although I have not heard the Element, I've heard the Magni, and have also heard the O2 and JDS C5D and I think the Element is more similar with its neutral signature than a hybrid tube amp like the Vali.

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #203 of 636
  Thanks for the review!

Well, sorry to let you know that I do not own HD650, it's my next plan purchase indeed, haha. But based on my experience, JDS Labs product is dead accurate, neutral, transparent, so you need to pair with some colorful gear, so in this case I get impressive sound pairing with British signature speakers, i.e. Wharfedale Diamond 220, while for headphone can like HD598 I did not get much satisfaction, so once again it's gear matching. I'm not sure about HD650, until I got cash to audition it out, it will be after New Year I guess...

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #204 of 636
=(...Just got a bowers and wilkins p7 due to it's low impedanceso I wouldn't have to worry about getting an amp/DAC. This is my first purchase into expensive audio. Maybe for my next purchase I'll invest in amp/dac together with the sennheiser. 

Or should I return the P7 and get the Element/Senns?

The P7 doesn't require an amp. It's also, imho, a pretty fantastic headphone. Why would you return the P7 in order to get something you don't need, i.e. an amp? Now, if the reason for return is that you want the HD600, I'd have a listen first (assuming you haven't already).

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #207 of 636
hehe true..guess I'll be keeping the P7 =D

I'm currently auditioning some B&W P7s at home, I'm using them with a Geek Out 450 and they come alive through this little DAC/amp driving off my Android phone / tablet or laptop.
They sound good direct off my phone or tablet, but they really do shine via this little DAC/amp, just thought I'd share this if it helps in anyway.

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #208 of 636
If you are looking for a neutral (flat) sound, Element is the perfect tool for it. I have the K712 headphone and due to a slight bass boost, i feel like has a lack on lows, not that much, just a little bit. But probably that my K712 are brand new, maybe after 50-60 more hours of burning, the sound will be fine. Also K712 are power hungry headphones and you need to use it on high gain in order to juice them out. Never heard the iDAC + iCAN, did someone has them and can make a comparation between Element and iDAC + iCAN ?  Thank You!

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #209 of 636
I've heard some pretty good gear in my time on Head-Fi, I like to think. But I swear, the combination of the Element and Aurisonics' ASG-1PLUS is just heavenly. So smooth and effortless. The Element manages to clean up the low end a fair bit over the headphone out on my iPhone 6 Plus. Consequently, the midrange is more clear. Totally worth the money, IMO. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back