JDS Labs Announces 2 New DACS, 1 Amp, 1 Preamp!
Nov 22, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #16 of 36
How does this DAC compare to to the original Element's?

I have not heard the original element, though from my understanding, it basically has a ODAC built in?

Compared to the original ODAC, this new dac is a bit warmer down low, has a bit of that bloom the 4490 chip imparts, giving a more natural presentation for a D/S dac IMO.

Nov 25, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #19 of 36

Thanks. I was hoping you guys would use a wm8805 cause of its reputation for jitter rejection. The dacs seem great nonetheless.

We did! OL DAC was first prototyped with a WM8804. The AK4113 provides better autonomy of clock rate detection than WM8805 (important for optimal THD), and it makes more sense to share the same part across multiple products. Jitter performance is indeed superior with the Wolfson series, however, jitter is audibly acceptable from the AKM equivalent. We transitioned from WM8804 to AK4113 in the second round of beta testing and feedback remained fantastic.

May 21, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #20 of 36
Just added the DIP switches to my OL-DAC, need to add them to the EL-DAC too (once it's been reviewed and paid for)

9946494.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_8085.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 1, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #25 of 36
Jul 6, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #26 of 36
Wow, how does this thread barely have any activity?

I received the OL DAC yesterday. It's definitely my favorite sub-$200 DAC! It gets "most" of the way there to high-end DACs too.

I'm using TOSLINK for the first time via a Behringer UCA202 audio interface. One benefit of this is that it eliminates computer-related noise. Before, I was using a cheater plug on my laptop's power cable to get rid of ground loop noise, but that is no longer necessary.

I have volume issues with my active speakers, though, and had to experiment with the sensitivity switch and volume knobs on the back of the speakers and the volume control in my player. Without messing with all that, it gets too loud too fast with the OL DAC and Schiit SYS passive preamp. Ironically, I did not have this issue with the Chord 2Qute despite the fact that it outputs 3 volts instead of 2.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #27 of 36
Wow, how does this thread barely have any activity?

I received the OL DAC yesterday. It's definitely my favorite sub-$200 DAC! It gets "most" of the way there to high-end DACs too.

I'm using TOSLINK for the first time via a Behringer UCA202 audio interface. One benefit of this is that it eliminates computer-related noise. Before, I was using a cheater plug on my laptop's power cable to get rid of ground loop noise, but that is no longer necessary.

I have volume issues with my active speakers, though, and had to experiment with the sensitivity switch and volume knobs on the back of the speakers and the volume control in my player. Without messing with all that, it gets too loud too fast with the OL DAC and Schiit SYS passive preamp. Ironically, I did not have this issue with the Chord 2Qute despite the fact that it outputs 3 volts instead of 2.

I really enjoy both my EL and OL DAC's, both have the DIP switches installed too

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #30 of 36
I haven't noticed audible wiper noise from OL Switcher. Of course, your mileage may vary depending on driver sensitivity and potentiometer age. See also jdslabs.com/troubleshooting

I have a question for JDS Labs. @jseaber @theotherjude

Does OL Switcher make scratching noises when you adjust the volume? (I ask because the Schiit SYS does.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back