JDS C5 vs. ALO the National
Oct 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

weaksauce

New Head-Fier
Hello all! I'm in the market for a portable headphone amp, and I've done a bit of research and am trying to decide between the JDS c5 and the ALO the National. I'm going to be using this thru my iPod classic 160gb and some NAD hp50s (ordered and on the way).

I'm back and forth on which I should buy. Unfortunately I can't listen to either before buying. Anybody have both/listened to either? I like the bass boost feautute of the c5, but I also think the description of the ALO's sound signature is appealing.

I listen to many different kinds of music (don't we all, lol). AC/DC, Queen, Postal Service, The Strokes, The National, Daft Punk, Kings of Convenience, Gaslight Anthem, just to name a few.

Any suggestions?

Maybe I'll just buy both :D

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 8
Hello all! I'm in the market for a portable headphone amp, and I've done a bit of research and am trying to decide between the JDS c5 and the ALO the National. I'm going to be using this thru my iPod classic 160gb and some NAD hp50s (ordered and on the way).

I'm back and forth on which I should buy. Unfortunately I can't listen to either before buying. Anybody have both/listened to either? I like the bass boost feautute of the c5, but I also think the description of the ALO's sound signature is appealing.

I listen to many different kinds of music (don't we all, lol). AC/DC, Queen, Postal Service, The Strokes, The National, Daft Punk, Kings of Convenience, Gaslight Anthem, just to name a few.

Any suggestions?

Maybe I'll just buy both
biggrin.gif

buy both and take back the one you dont like LOL.

i found thew national to be short coming, its more like a generic ALO audio amplifiers, it doesnt compare to the continental, or mk2 or alo audio mk3 b+.

i would also look into the alo audio mk2 it has excellent bass controll, impact and slam.

ive owned the c5 it has excellent bass boost implications, excellent quality, transparent sound.

like i said the national is really generic IMO thats my opinion, i feel the reviews are somewhat misleading and portray the national better than what it is.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 8
Look into some Meier Products. Not talked about to much lately as the FOTM's have come into play.
The Meiers are some of the best sounding Amps I've heard or used, Those you mentioned above aren't even in the same bracket audio wise. Hell my recently bought Corda XXS makes the C5 and all Fiio offerings sound like toys.
Meiers $250-300 dollar range portables make many desktops sound bad at even much higher price ranges, They're excellent, look at the older reviews....
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 8
Look into some Meier Products. Not talked about to much lately as the FOTM's have come into play.
The Meiers are some of the best sounding Amps I've heard or used, Those you mentioned above aren't even in the same bracket audio wise. Hell my recently bought Corda XXS makes the C5 and all Fiio offerings sound like toys.
Meiers $250-300 dollar range portables make many desktops sound bad at even much higher price ranges, They're excellent, look at the older reviews....
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

Thanks I will look into them!

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 8
I have used a Corda XXS and I still have Corda MOVE, both share the same amp-section, It's a great amp. I also have a Stepdance, that's another level and excellent stuff. I have the first generation with OPA1611, one of my favorite opamps, I also have the dual version in my iBasso D4 and a low-power version in my X3. But the implentation of the Stepdance is the best. For the money I cannot imagine anything (a lot) better.

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 8
I have used a Corda XXS and I still have Corda MOVE, both share the same amp-section, It's a great amp. I also have a Stepdance, that's another level and excellent stuff. I have the first generation with OPA1611, one of my favorite opamps, I also have the dual version in my iBasso D4 and a low-power version in my X3. But the implentation of the Stepdance is the best. For the money I cannot imagine anything (a lot) better.
Yeah Dr. Meier is having a great sale on the 2Stepdance right now. $100 or so off normal price for outside EU, I've got my eye on the Rock tho :)
Great amps!!!

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 8
Sorry to jump in on this - anyone have any thoughts on the 2Stepdance vs the Quickstep?   Is the RF-blocking circuitry and the "more reliable contacts" worth the additional price, either with IEMs (Shure 535s and soon CIEMs) or mid/full-sized cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back