Jazz recommendations?
Apr 14, 2007 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 129

Deiz

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a total jazz newbie - Love the sound of it, but have absolutely no jazz collection asides from some acid jazz from Jamiroquai, Jaga Jazzist, and Massive Attack - But that's simply because of my offshoot from electronica.

So, I'm looking for some recommendations, preferably a few pieces from each jazz style.

My tastes at present are quite varied - Hip-hop, metal, post-rock, prog-rock, electronica of all shapes and sounds, limited classical, ska, and reggae, among others.

My preferences, as to what I've heard, lean towards free and avant-garde, and the more modern styles.

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 129
i'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, as i'm fairly new to this genre and really know nothing much about jazz, but i've been really digging Jazzanova and like you, now looking for things similar.

hopefully this thread gets filled w/ recommendations ^_^

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 129
My favorite source for trying CDs in a genre I'm not familiar with is my local library.

I started by buying compilations. Some of the first that I bought
  1. Pure Jazz
  2. Pure Jazz Encore
  3. Ken Burn's Jazz box set
  4. Big Band Instrumentals: 16 Most Requested Songs

You can pick a few artists and buy compilations of that artist.
  1. Ken Burn's series - these tend to be career retrospectives so include pieces from before the artist was a band leader themselves
  2. Verve Jazz Masters series
  3. Finest Hour
  4. 16 Most Requested Songs series - not all of these are jazz

Some of the most popular jazz albums (Edit: or at least 10 of my favorites)
  1. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - best selling jazz album ever
  2. Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
  3. John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
  4. Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
  5. Getz/Gilberto
  6. Oscar Peterson - Night Train
  7. Charlie Parker - Charlie Parker with Strings
  8. The Modern Jazz Quartet - Django
  9. Herbie Hand**** - Head Hunters (can't link to it because it thinks I'm typing dirty words)
  10. Miles Davis - In a Silent Way

I could go on for ever.

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 129
You can't go wrong with Miles Davis Kind of Blue. You gotta have it.
I love John Coltrane's Coltrane Plays the Blues. It isn't the most popular Coltranes album but i personally love it.
If you really enjoy sax, try Sonny Rollins also. Absolutely awesome.
You can try some pop jazz as Jamie Cullum.
I can post some more artists as i remember later ...

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 129
Since you came into jazz through the acid jazz, electronica route you should try some of the modern people like:

John Scofield
Medeski, Martin & Wood
Charlie Hunter
Christian McBride

and if you like metal and prog rock you might like some of the fusion artists like:

Mahavishnu Orchestra
Weather Report
Tribal Tech
Niacin

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 129
I would suggest that you check out different pressings from ECM records. They carry everyone from Keith Jarrett, Jack Dejohnette, Jan Garbarek to Tomasz Stanko and Pat Metheny. For a start try Nils Petter Molvaer whose music is a fusion of Jazz, Rock and Electronica. I think that with ECM you can't go wrong and they work with jazz artists from around which provides unique perspective at jazz and its styles.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 129
Also in the vein of acid jazz, you need to hear the Greyboy Allstars and Karl Denson Universe.

Both groups are fronted by Karl Denson, and feature offbeat instrumentation and extremely catchy melodies. This, to me, is some of the best modern jazz.

As far as older jazz goes, dig into thrift stores and buy anything by Blue Note or Impulse! records.

I heard a story that Duane Allman listened to Kind Of Blue every single day he was on tour. He said there was more inspiration in that album than in everything else he'd ever heard. I can't disagree, but I think if you like Miles you need to also hear the three records he did to fill out his contract with Prestige - Relaxin', Steamin', and Workin' with the Miles Davis quintet. He recorded them all in a week with his touring group and they are legendary.

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #9 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite source for trying CDs in a genre I'm not familiar with is my local library.

I started by buying compilations. Some of the first that I bought
  1. Pure Jazz
  2. Pure Jazz Encore
  3. Ken Burn's Jazz box set
  4. Big Band Instrumentals: 16 Most Requested Songs

You can pick a few artists and buy compilations of that artist.
  1. Ken Burn's series - these tend to be career retrospectives so include pieces from before the artist was a band leader themselves
  2. Verve Jazz Masters series
  3. Finest Hour
  4. 16 Most Requested Songs series - not all of these are jazz

Some of the most popular jazz albums (Edit: or at least 10 of my favorites)
  1. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - best selling jazz album ever
  2. Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
  3. John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
  4. Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
  5. Getz/Gilberto
  6. Oscar Peterson - Night Train
  7. Charlie Parker - Charlie Parker with Strings
  8. The Modern Jazz Quartet - Django
  9. Herbie Hand**** - Head Hunters (can't link to it because it thinks I'm typing dirty words)
  10. Miles Davis - In a Silent Way

I could go on for ever.

Excellent recommendations. I don't think I could do any better. Stick to Blue Note, Impulse, Pablo, Riverside and Prestige labels.

Apr 14, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 129
Don't forget Chet Baker....

I like this one...

[size=medium]<<=====[/size]

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #13 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget Chet Baker....

As long as Chet isn't singing . . .
eek.gif
blink.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 129
stanley clark - standards (great recording - audiophile quality)
roberta gambarini - move over diana krall!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back