JAYS by Jens Nylander
Jun 9, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #31 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Well, I do need a low profile IEM anyway, so I might be the guinea pig for the german market.
I've recently sold the E5s due to comfort issues (and too much bass for my tastes).Seems these thingies are more comfortable.
I don't expect wonders from a $100 IEM, but some requirements are mandatory:
1) Comfort is naturally somewhat dependant on the individual anatomy, but nevertheless some designs are more prone to be a pain in the ear channel than others.Kramer5150s findings in this regard are promising.
2) Sound quality has to be on par with the cheap KSC 75/PX 100 and the like without a dedicated portable amp.I could alway schlepp around DAP, amp and full sized closed cans whenever I have a desire for outstanding SQ on the go, but IEMs are about ultraportability and low profile as far as I'm concerned, and that's the sole reason why I'm willing to pay more for the same sound quality.
3) Cable has to be of a low microphonic type.I couldn't stand the highly microphonic cable of the Etymotics.The Shures were o.k. in this regard.Any comments?

1) Yes the D-Jays tips are very comfortable. The tips don't exert nearly as much pressure on my ear canals as my e2c tips. Incidently, I also have a modded koss plug with e2c tips, that I also find marginally comfortable.

2) SQ wise... I would put them on the same field as the KSC75. In some ways better. The D-Jays isn't nearly as flabby and uncontrolled sounding as the Ksc. Its also flatter across the spectrum. Im listening to them as I type this, and I dont think the treble roll off is as severe as I thought last night (???). This morning the treble is nicely balanced with the mids. So... I think spectral balance partially depends on how your hearing perception changes throughout the day. It lacks the bass impact and boost of the Koss. This may or may not be to your liking though. I for one find the koss bass excessive... hence my need to mod them with a dremel.

3) Cable Microphonics... The prptotype I was sent for evaluation has a prototype strain relief design.. so it doesn't really represent the production models. I am not sure what effect this will have on microphonics? I didn't really notice the microphonics when I was commuting with them. I had the cord under my T-shirt... so it wasn't swinging around and bumping into things as I move.

Jun 9, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #32 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
Any ideas of release date? If you have a promotional price I want one.

Not sure... Jens has been SUPER busy the past week. They are working hard to get the www site up and running, approve the hard tooling and ramp up production.

Garrett

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #33 of 68
Hi,

On Tuesday d-JAYS are presented to the press and website is opening. JAYS will have an introduction price on d-JAYS until 1 August, the price is $79.95 including freight. The price is reduced by $20 plus free freight. d-JAYS are delivered directly by JAYS Inc in San Fransciso so there is need to ship them from our main warehouse in Sweden. 24 months of warrenty are included and covers everything in the product.

Products are scheduled to be delivered in black and white during end of July. The "rest of the colors" will come in late August because the are produced after the lanuch.

The cable thickness below the Y-joint is 2.0 mm and above 1.5 mm. The cable that are used in Garrett's sample is not the correct one, because we are using much more high-end cable with kevlar. I am copying the image below to illustrate the cable:

d-JAYS-cable.jpg

B.rgd

Jens

Jun 10, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #35 of 68
Please don't forget that a substantial share of the membership here is located in Europe.
For us purchasing IEMs from an european manufacturer adds to the appeal.
It's quite inconvenient and a bit risky to import the stuff yourself from the U.S., and cheating the customs isn't my favorite sport.
I hope this time we will get the same prices (plus the additional european VAT naturally) here in Europe without the hassles.

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #36 of 68
Hi !

Today we are lanuching the first product, called d-JAYS.

Saxed from press release:

d-JAYS – A New Swedish Earphone

JAYS, a Swedish company and trademark, has developed a Sound Isolating System that reduces up to 90 percent of ambient noise, offering increased battery time on portable products and decreases the risk of so called iPod-ears (hearing impairment). Today JAYS introduces their first earphone model called d-JAYS, which uses this Sound Isolating System. The system is built around a fine balanced micro armature, earlier available only for rock stars.

This small sized micro armature and a unique ergonomic design makes it possible to produce the sound inside the ear, generating a better sound quality. The technology is based on Henry Egertons old patent from 1918. With advanced manufacturing, JAYS can now produce the armature in a micro format.

For complete press release please visit http://www.jays.se

djays_black_front_low.jpg

djays_black_top_low.jpg

PS, don't miss the introduction movie at
http://www.jays.se/downloads/djays/j...n_20060613.wmv

B.rgd

Jens

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #37 of 68
Nice nice!
very_evil_smiley.gif
Looks little like Creative's Aurvana.

It will be nice if it have a little more bass impact.

Edit:
The red is nice! So is orange too. Any non 'professional' pics? I like to see more of the cable and plug. From the design, I gather it is worn with its cable straight down.

Jun 13, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #39 of 68
I just pre-ordered one... However, I'm kinda baffled that the European price is so much higher than the US price. It's from Sweden, right?? Like... IN EUROPE??
confused.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzerbro
If the q-JAYS have four "ultra minature" drivers. How many drivers are in the d-JAYS.

I am really looking forward to hearing these IEM's.
etysmile.gif

q(quad)-Jays have four drivers. The d(dual)-Jays have two drivers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #42 of 68
I hope that the launch went well for you Jens. I've gone ahead and ordered a pair. Look forward to hearing them. They look really good and judging by comments posted, sound good too.

Ian

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #43 of 68
Any estimated release date on the q-JAYS?? Then I can just skip the d-JAYS and go directly for the q-JAYS!
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpie
Any estimated release date on the q-JAYS?? Then I can just skip the d-JAYS and go directly for the q-JAYS!
biggrin.gif

that is what i'm plannin to do too. replace my iM716

Jun 14, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #45 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
OK everyone, Here are my final D-Jays impressions
biggrin.gif

Sources Used:
Creative Muvo TX
Creative Nomad Jukebox
Sony D335
Sony D223
Magnavox AZ 6816, 6833, 6811

Of all my portable amps I found the pimeta and govibe II sound the best with the D-jays. My mints also sounded good, but these amps are high gain circuits that aren't suited for low impedence loads.

Small... VERY small!! About the size of a chicklets gum.
Nice low profile, they fit inside my ears. I can lie ON them at night when I sleep.
GREAT symmetric "Y" cord.
Comfortable soft silicone tips, I can wear them for hours at a time (something I can't do with my shure e2c).
Very ipod Looking... Like an AKG K701

Sonic Impressions:

I've had them for several days now commuting around the Cisco campus and in the office.

Smooth. Balanced. Accurate with gently rolled off treble and low bass. Bass is tight and well defined across the spectrum. Vocals and solo instruments project nicely, without being harsh and certainly do not fatigue. Good treble extension too compared to the e2c, which we all know has severely rolled off treble. Very good spectral balance. Spectrally, similar to an MS1, with less bass-bloat and bass-impact. Not particularly bright or dark, and doesn't seem to emphasize or drastically attenuate any particular frequency bands. The fore-mentioned treble and low-bass seem to roll off at the ends of the spectrum, push midrange sounds forward. Midrange detail and refinement are its strong point. Mids are foreword, dynamic and detailed, yet not harsh and certainly do not fatigue in any way.

Clarity and instrument separation are another strong point. Particularly with acoustic guitars. Very good clarity for an isolating IEM in this price range. Clearly superior to the shure e2c from a clarity standpoint.

There are times it sounded a little bass-shy, but my ears have been conditioned to Grados and various Koss phones, which are known for having a good amount of bass excess. The D-Jayes are very versatile with EQ settings. On some tracks I found myself dialing in 2-3 db of bass boost below ~150Hz. Overall they handled my EQ tweeks very well, with no signs of clipping, distortion or “distress”.

It also isolates very well, although its isolation seems to be somewhat frequency dependent. It completely blocks ambient noise below ~5000hz. Sounds like a running water faucet, passing wind from cars, and my keyboard as I type this leak through just a little, although they are significantly attenuated. IMHO this is probably the result of the silicone tips. I'm willing to bet foam-tips would completely seal outside noise across the spectrum , for listeners who want to be completely isolated from the ambient world.

**EDIT**
One more thing to note... the D-Jays is a revealing phone too. It doesn't muffle and recess treble. It is a low impedence, high sensitivity IEM.... so well designed amplification (note I didn't say expensive) is a must. My higher gain amps are far too hissy for these IEMs. I have some mints and a little dot micro that work very well with my high impedence phones, but just are not suited for sensitive IEMs. I found my pimeta and govibe synnergize very well with the D-Jays IEM.

Comfort and design:

Great Job on the ergonomics!!! Nice soft tips that don't exert much pressure on my ear canals. Compared to my shure e2c, the D-Jays are MUCH more comfortable. The e2c feels like a cork jammed in my ear, since they really exert a lot of pressure and they make my ear canals itch after ~45 minutes. Its nice how the D-Jays cord doesn't loop around the back of my ear. It makes ear insertion very easy, since you just let the wire hang loose.

They are really small too and don't stick out at all. I can physically lie down on them at night, something I cant do with my Sony EX90, EX51, or Shure e2c.

The symmetric "Y" cord is VERY nice. I don't like the lop-sided cord design of my EX90 and EX51.

I know some of you have asked for pics. But I have been asked to hold off on posting pics, since the prototype has a different strain relief design. The prototype also had some glue visible, so cosmetically they aren't really an accurate representation of the production model. Jays will have a formal press release later, with pics, accessory information, ordering information and other goodies.

Stay Tuned!!
Garrett

great review. the question from me would be which other brand eartip will fit d-Jays? it look like E2, Aurvana or SF sizes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back