JAYS - A-JAYS - | IN-depth sound analysis, impartial testing and pretty pictures | - reviewed by kiteki
Sep 21, 2010 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kiteki

aka Theta Alpha 1
aka Alpha Zeta 5
aka Alpha Zeta 6
aka Nanocat Systems
And many other aliases

[Hello, this is my first earphone review on head-fi.

I've been using the A-Jays Three for 3 weeks now, listened to all kinds of genres, used different sources, committed to my usual obsessive EQ tweaking, and done all the side-by-side comparisons I have available (not many yet, new to IEM's.).
These include:  A-Jays One, A-Jays Two, T-Jays Three, Sony MDR-EX300/+500, SM PL50, some useless sennheiser earbud, another useless AKG earbud, a useless Yuin PK2 earbud, various sony earbuds, and one Audio-Technica ESW9 headphone, but I'm travelling and without an amp it's useless and I hardly use it).

From sonic memory, I listened to lots of tracks which I've previously listened to with a Sony MDR-SA5000, Fostex T5, AKG K701, and a couple tracks which I've heard performed live.

Since I'm travelling, I haven't reviewed the A-Jays Three with a decent amp, or SACD, but these are for portable use and listening to well recorded 128kbps mp3 tracks and the like, so the review is based on such use

If there are any questions/requests, or anything I have left out in sonic characteristics or the like, I'll be happy to answer].

Foreclosure:  I am in no way affiliated with JAYS retail, distribution or testing, I have not had any contact with them or received any free samples, there is no profit or loss incentive in this review or favoritism of certain brands for whatever reason, my sole intention with audio reviews is to review the audio, and give praise or criticism where praise and criticism are due, reviews on the internet are selfish and lacking in this respect

Now on with the show ... =)

At singapore airport there was a shop with lots of earphones, and they had a JAYS stall where you could plug in your portable device and demo the different earphones,
I had no intention of buying jays earphones in that store, I was mostly browsing audio-technica, but after listening to the different JAYS models for a good 20-25 minutes I couldn't resist.
(Plus, I'd never been seen an earphone stall before where you could demo all the earphones of a certain brand, most stores will just snob you off and say you can't demo earphones,
so kudos to Jays and that store for the service).

I mainly demoed the A-jays One, A-Jays Two and T-Jays Three.  I ended up buying the A-Jays Three, which wasn't available for demo at the time, I just wanted the best in the A series =)

The T-Jays was - for the price - nothing special to me, I thought it sounded a little dull, at least via the portable device I was using (Sony NWZ-B153F), so I won't comment on the T-series.

The A-jays One sounded alright, but what fastened my attention was definately the A-Jays Two, I thought the A-Jays Two had a remarkable sound, the EQ is certainly not flat, but it's well-crafted resulting in a lively, joyful, acoustic, dynamic sound signature with sizeable bass-impact.
It's true they're not the ideal IEM's for classical music, but with electronica, 1-2-3-4, drum'n'bass, candy raving, EBM, industrial, techno, house, whatever they capture the beat well, making it a joyful experice to listen to, keeping my finger away from the "next" switch longer than usual.
What sold me in the end though, was how surprisingly good timbre they had in rock/pop acoustic music, so if you listen to modern rock or pop they will sound great, if you listen to vintage rock or garagerock I think there's better options out there, and with speed metal they not quite up to the task because these IEM's focus a little more on smoothness than speed, focus a little more on decay rather than attack, and lack the "air" (that high frequency open-air static sound) that you really need for fast complicated pieces which you'll find in speed metal or classical music etc.

There is a very noticable difference between the A-jays One/Two/Three.

Personally, I'd not opt for the "One", but if you're on a budget and what excellent build quality and durability, then they're good.

The "Two" is described above.

The "Three" in the series (which I've been using this month), is debatedly the best in the lineup, but lacks the flavour of the A-Jays Two, so I think some people will certainly prefer Two!

A-Jays Three has a flatter EQ, it's lacking the well-crafted EQ curve present in "Two", the Three is aimed at those that want a more balanced sound, however it's not completely balanced =p
the EQ is still favouring the bass department, I like bass, but after obsessive EQ tweaking over the last 3 weeks my favorite EQ setting [parametric] is like this (on my portable device, range is from -3 to +3 for each freq, and this is using eartip 4).

100HZ

315HZ

1kHz
+1

3.15 kHz
+1

10 kHz
+1

With side by side comparisons (when I was back at the airport next time), between Two and Three, I find that the Three is slightly better defined and has a slightly better reverb, treble and bass quality are the same, and the Two sound a bit more fun, perhaps better for acoustic music, but if you listen to pop or rock or electronica, you won't be dissapointed in either of these.

I've burnt in my A-Jays Three with 20 hours of white noise, 5 hours of high frequency sweeps and 2 hours of deep bass sweeps,
the sound became a bit more soft and instrument seperation a tad wider, but the difference isn't as noticable as when you exchange eartip 4 for eartip 5, (there are 5 eartips, with 1 being the smallest and 5 being the largest, eartip 1-4 are the same, only escalating in size, and eartip 5 is a different eartip with a different sound, the silicon envelope is thinner and they are only half in-ears, the resulting sound becomes less spaced-out and more analytic and a little less bass.
If you think the A-Jays are too bass heavy (they are indeed bassy), then you should try eartip 3 or 5.  (The standard ear-tip is number 4).

In summary, if you like the design factor and awesome flat cable these have, cheap price, and think the sonic character will suit you, just remember don't cheap-out on the A-Jays One, and don't feel tempted by the T-Jays series thinking they will sound even better than the A-series due to a high price tag, because they don't, they kindof have better sonic detail and sport a cool scandinavian glossy black plastic design, but they sound pretty dull compared to the alive upfrontness of the A-series.

I won't go into detail about the accessories or design, they look good, the drivers haven't flinched at extremely high volumes, and they come with stuff you will never need like the audio jack you only find on airplanes and in busses, and a splitter so you can plug in two earphones into your portable music device at once and listen to the same song with friends.

I won't go into detail about SPECS, because most companies just conjure them up on the spot and they're aimed more at PR than at science, and most specs aren't relevant to how the earphones will sound at all, they are just relevant to how high the relative volume is (if you need an amp), and sometimes if you can play SACD like frequencies a.k.a. bat-country.
In all of the jays models the answer is:
1) No
2) No
what does matter is stuff like how the drivers look, how they will reverberate and resonate, if they will sound dry or wet, if they are laid-back/detached or up-front/in-your-ear, if they are attack or decay, sharp or smooth, crystal or carpet.

here's the driver of the A-Jays Two:

and the A-Jays Three:

So basically, if you are a standard issue audioholic and want something around 50 bucks that looks good, isolates noise, will last a long time, has no fakes on the market, and sounds terrific, then these are for you.

As a rough guide, chinese iPod earbuds sound like absolute garbage compared to these, and these sound like absolute garbage compared to the Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SS, so these are mid-tier in the HiFi world.

[Disclaimer and subjectivity:  I am fairly new to IEM's, so take my raving with a pinch of salt, but this is the best audio product I've ever heard for 50 bucks, and that includes amps and earbuds and headphones as well, there could be better IEM's out there for that price which I haven't heard yet, I am inclined to think so, and once again, all reviews are subjective, I listen at high volumes, usually electronic music (everything from 80's to speedcore), a lot of classical (violins, harpsichord), a fair bit of garagerock and vintage rock, and so on, but I didn't listen to a single jazz track with these, y'know? and I don't know what jazz should sound like, so keep that in mind ;]]

This is the track I was listening to when I decided to buy the A-Jays Two/Three, the acoustic timbre was unexpectedly good in this pop track:  Maron - For Better Or Worse
http://maron.bandcamp.com/track/for-better-or-worse

This is one of my favorite electronic songs using the A-Jays Three:  Ayria - Be Me, the bass is really impactful and foot-tapping, and the female vocals are smooth and seductive, and clearly seperated from the rest of the music, like she's singing directly in my ear.  The vocal seperation is top-notch.
The ambient reverb or "club sound" if you will, is good for an IEM, and the end result is I become all warm and fuzzy inside and don't want to press the "next" switch, which I always did on this song with other audio equipment, so it's like the A-Jays dusted off some of my electronic music and I'm enjoying it more than ever, that's why they get absolute top marks from me.
The highlight comes at 2:25, that's when I feel like I'm floating into a club, and I want to get up and dance (or maybe the air-con has been off for too long in the office, and I'm just dizzy from lack of oxygen)... =p

Price, (in USD).

A-Jays one:   $40

A-Jays Two:   $50

A-Jays Three: $60

EDIT:  Nov 11th, 2010

I am too nice to the A-Jays Three in this review, so I will extend my review with the following critique which I've acquired since.

- they have a \ shaped eq curve so the highs aren't clear enough and the bass will become too much on a bassy source.  As you can see in my review I adjusted the eq-curve with a / shape as a makeshift solution to this.

- Their crunchy sound and lack of highs makes me for some reason want to play music at high volumes, and after a long while this becomes fatiguing and then I don't feel like using them for a long while.

- I no longer think these are the best earphones I've heard for $50, I enjoyed them a lot but they were short-lived, not clear enough and too aggressive on my ears with my high volumes and my music taste.  In comparison to MDR-E888 and ATH-CK10 (post #9 in this thread), I hear their weaknesses become underlined, natural/lifelike sound of vocals and atmosphere very weak compared to E888 - clarity and highs very weak compared to CK10.

Their selling point remains in the design, packaging, flat cable, build quality, bass, and lively acoustic sound.  In defense of the A-Jays Three, if I am listening to the CK10 for a few hours and then try the A-Jays Three, I can be caught off-guard and reminded what I am missing out on in a crunchy dynamic-driver IEM, but the key words in the last sentence are "a few hours", which won't happen with the A-Jays Three, not with me anymore at least.

Sep 21, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 11
Nice review............but, I would like to know how you would stack these up to your other headphones.  In order of sound preference. 

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 11

Sound preference:

Sony SA-5000 (headphone)
Audio Technica ESW9 (amped properly) (headphone)
AKG K701 (headphone)
Sony MDR-EX500 (IEM)
A-Jays Three (IEM)
Fostex T5 (headphone)
Sony E708 (earbud)
Yuin PK2 (earbud)
SoundMagic PL50 (IEM)
Sennheiser junk earbuds
AKG junk earbuds
Chinese fake junk

looking at ordering a new IEM or earbud next week to add to the list, suggestions welcome =p

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:

Sound preference:

Sony SA-5000 (headphone)
Audio Technica ESW9 (amped properly) (headphone)
AKG K701 (headphone)
Sony MDR-EX500 (IEM)
A-Jays Three (IEM)
Fostex T5 (headphone)
Sony E708 (earbud)
Yuin PK2 (earbud)
SoundMagic PL50 (IEM)
Sennheiser junk earbuds
AKG junk earbuds
Chinese fake junk

looking at ordering a new IEM or earbud next week to add to the list, suggestions welcome =p

Thanks for the quick reply.  Looks like they are up there on the list.  What surprises me?  How good some feel Sony headphones/IEMs sound.  Others cant stand them. 
I see the Jays fall right below the EX500s.

Sep 21, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply.  Looks like they are up there on the list.  What surprises me?  How good some feel Sony headphones/IEMs sound.  Others cant stand them. 
I see the Jays fall right below the EX500s.

Yep.

Theory 1)   Sony's are the most faked brand in the world, so someone buys a fake sony earphone/IEM/headphone and can't stand it, and rightly so!  (This has happened to me a few times).

Theory 2)   Sony's are well-known and popular, and self-proclaimed audiophiles would rather use "XYZ rare specialized brand".

Theory 3)   Asia is an audiophile continent, and not many asians like Japanese people, let alone evil corporate Japanese companies that want to pioneer every electronic entertainment device you own, and thus an asian antipathy towards sony has evolved from the likes of China, Taiwan, Hong-Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Korea, and so on.

Theory 4)   Some people have listened to sony their whole life, I.E. sony walkman -> sony discman -> sony minidisc -> sony mp3 player -> sony SACD player (PS3 / blu-ray players).
These people, their ear-canals are so burnt-in to the sony sound that they have evolved to a sony-species.  When sony-species listen to something else it sounds like a vuuvuuzelas attached to an exhaust-pipe.

Fact 1)   Sony used to be the audio-pioneers of the world, there was no competition, those haydays are over now, it's been a long time since the classic discmans, the R10, the Qualias and so on, and today they sell for more than what they sold for back then.  (something like the SA-5000 is an exception, which sells for a lot less now, since it's still in production, also SACD players are a LOT cheaper now, since they're still in production).
Anyway, even though the audio market is now saturated with new contenders and sony have shifted to their PS3's, blu-ray's and 3DTV's, every now and then they take another stab at the marketplace with a new highest-standard audio revelation like these http://en.akihabaranews.com/59600/none/mdr-ex1000-high-end-in-ear-headphones-at-61950-yens-available-in-japan

Fact 2)  Accolades aside, my favorite brands are only equal to my best experiences, I like everthing vintage-sony (WTB: discman's), but I will still review all new products impartially, no matter what label they have.

Why I like Sony?  Because the MDR-SA5000's paired with a vintage amp are what turned me into an audiophile, I didn't know headphones could sound like that.

R.I.P. Lo-Fi, March 2010.

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks kiteki................what a great explanation.  I have always like Sony products.  They are not nearly the best, but for the price a lot of their electronics sounds fantastic. 

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 11

You're welcome lebomb, and yes I agree, I think really cheap sony stuff can sound fantastic, like their earbud history, sony earbuds have always sounded the best IMHO.
Now all we have are manufacturers like Yuin, ZePhone and CrossRoads, which all look exactly the same and are all really expensive basic design plastic earbuds.

By coincidence I just found this weird chinese forum, with many sony product reviews, inclduing the SA5000's just reviewed three days ago, I guess there is still an underground following of my favorite headphones =)

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.imp3.net/2/show.php%3Fitemid%3D21178%26page%3D4&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dzephone%2Bnb01%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff&rurl=translate.google.com.au&usg=ALkJrhh4eIk612vmq24alCVkRloejY55fw

look at "related articles" for more sony stuff.

Also this:

yEAH!  my made-in-NIPPON headphones get praise in chinese forums! Lol.

Back on topic to the A-JAYS, female vocals can sound wonderful on the A-Jays Three, I'm so amazed sometimes, because the female vocal seperation is so distinct, and then the female voice becomes so sweet and smooth.

listening to this song now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYYBkQM65A8&fmt=18

I feel like the piano is in front of me, about arms-length away, a bit to the side, and the violins are further away than that, elevated a bit higher up, and the female singer is right next to my ears, about 5cm away, she is singing right next to my ears, or in front of my face, it's amazing! - Is it burn-in? I'm not sure, but I didn't experience this instrument seperation before.

Click on the link!!!  It's a sweet song, and the best female vocal seperation I could find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYYBkQM65A8&fmt=18

ASAKO YOSHIHIRO - THE VANISHING SKY

click click click

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 11
A-Jays Three are not the most natural sounding IEM's, they are pretty good, but they will not be exceptional with jazz music and do not have clear highs.

Looking back at this review, I am a little too nice to them, because I didn't elaborate on the \ shaped eq curve and lack of clearness, also they don't pair well with a high-powered bass-centric source, in which case they simply become too much and the bass will overshadow everything or sound dissonant and boomy.

They have good seperation, sound crunchy and present, and have decent timbre and attack.  On the other hand they lack clearness and the crunchiness and bass will become fatiguing after an hour or so on high-ish volumes, so they aren't suitable for long listening sessions.

If you only have some Jays and Shures to choose from at your local store and you like the flat cable and great build quality and so on, I'd recommend you get the A-Jays Two, they have a better eq-curve for acoustic or poppy music, their eq-curve is something like a W shape from memory, unlike the \ shape in the Three, which is more suitable for electronica and so on, overall I just like the A-Jays Two better, even though I own the Three, I'm not entirely sure why.

You should check out Panasonic(Technics) HJE900 and Etymotic MC series.  There is a user here called ericp10 or something like that, he likes jazz and likes the HJE900.

For reference, I'll browse some jazz online and briefly compare a track with the IEM's I have here.

Charlie Parker - I've got Rhythm - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fgxyyrqZ-I

A-Jays Three \\\\\\\\\\\\\ a little stuffy, saxophone sounds a bit nasal.

MDR-E888 ||||||||||||||||||| natural, foot-tapping and cafe-atmosphere type sound.

ATH-CK10 ////////////// very clear and detailed, sax a bit shrill, not as natural sounding as the former.

So, for this track the A-Jays Three doesn't perform well.  If I go back to the "Ayria - Be Me" track in my review, they perform very well but the female vocals on the E888 sounds much better, actually I have to go back and edit my review... thankyou for your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back