Jay Reatard Has Died
Jan 22, 2010 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DrBenway

Headphoneus Supremus
The NYT reports that rocker Jay Reatard was found dead in his home on Wednesday. No cause of death has been determined, according to the Times, and an investigation is ongoing.

I'm shocked and saddened by his passing, partly because I had just started investigating the music of this compulsively productive artist, and partly because he was just 29 years old. Maybe he felt compelled to put out so much music in such a short time because he knew his time was short.

May he rest in peace.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 10
Yeah, that was over a week ago. They've still not disclosed a cause of death. Last I'd heard there was talk of a homicide investigation…kinda strange.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that was over a week ago. They've still not disclosed a cause of death. Last I'd heard there was talk of a homicide investigation…kinda strange.

Weird thing is, the Times obit says that an autopsy was completed with no determination of cause of death. Wouldn't foul play, if not specifically identified, at least have been indicated?

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 10
Just watched the live DVD that came with his Singles album from last year...man, they really rocked! I blew a chance to see them a couple years ago - No Age played the early show and Jay Reatard the late show, I left after No Age
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's one hell of a last name he had.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was just a stage name, but a pretty awesome one though.

Before I heard of him, I thought that punks had said or done just about everything that could be said or done to be "edgy." But I had to hand it to him; taking that stage name was truly original. It was deliberately nasty, politically incorrect, and yeah...very, very edgy. My first response was to assume that it was his real name, since I couldn't imagine someone actually going there. I didn't realise it was a stage name until I read his obit.

Very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back