Japan Trip Pictography
Jan 4, 2006 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

fureshi

Headphoneus Supremus
i've been meaning to put this together for a while now as i took my last trip to japan almost a month ago but i guess better late than never. i got pulled on a last minute trip to tokyo for work and after my meetings were over, i had a few days over a weekend in tokyo to shop and meet with friends and family so i thought that i'd share the shopping portion with you all.

it all started off in kyoto. my coworkers and i arrived late tuesday night and woke up early the next morning for an all day meeting with a supplier. after our meeting was over, we took the shinkansen to tokyo.
dsc006920xh.jpg

after two more days of crazy long meetings (typical japanese meetings???), i'm finally free and have some time to do a little bit of shopping the the few extra days in tokyo. luckily my hotel is pretty close to ginza and akihabara. my first stop is the sony showroom in ginza and the qualia store. the first level houses some bravia tv's showing HD videos.
dsc009029eb.jpg

mesmerized at the tv's and the incredible HD pictures, i realized that i was here mainly to see the qualia store on the 4th floor. i skip most of the other floors as they house random sony consumer products. the listening station that they have the 010 has a pretty decent selection of music. the source was an ES555 through an amp that i didn’t recognize. they were even nice enough to offer me tea while i was trying out the 010.
dsc009031ar.jpg

dsc009043pk.jpg

from ginza, it’s a short hop to akihabara on the yamanote line. on weekends, they close the main street off. even with that much extra space to walk around, akiba still feels crowded but at least it’s better than having to wait for crosswalk signals.
dsc009120qp.jpg

first stop in akiba is the crazy large yodobashi camera store that we built a short while ago. it’s basically like going to CES but housed in one building. talk about sensory overload! the entire store is crowded with shoppers, then there’s the random music and announcements that are blaring over the loudspeakers. finally there are the guys with the bullhorns trying to get you to buy things that are on special sale. after an hour there on my first trip to the store, i couldn’t take it and had to go outside for a while. this time around, i got smart and used my IEMs to block out most of the sound. here’s only a small portion of their mp3 player section.
dsc009228yr.jpg

are fuzzy faux fur jackets in this year???
dsc009218ga.jpg

so off in one of the main thoroughfares is this audio store. the name is something like 5555 audio but i can’t seem to remember the name exactly to save my life right now. here is the side wall. how many cans and amps can you spot?
dsc009143bk.jpg

the main wall houses even more high end cans, including stax and sennheisers, which you can audition. the front of the store had a wall of portable mid range headphones for audition with either your portable player or their's.

i think I must’ve sat there listening to the w5000 for at least 30 minutes. the finish of the wood is a lot darker in person than i thought they would be but the grain is still so beautiful. ah...someday...
dsc009197gs.jpg

so that’s about it for my one day of headphone shopping in Tokyo. unfortunately i didn’t get a chance to go to fujiya avic in nakano (even though it was on one of the stops to my aunt’s house) or some of the other shops suggested by other head-fi members but it was still fun roaming around akiba and having a bowl of ramen at jyangara. i won’t bore you guys with pictures of me and my relatives and friends.
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 21
Great post, very interesting...I've always wanted to visit Tokyo. One question, how do prices compare to North American prices for Mp3 players, headphones, cameras etc...?

Jan 4, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 21
I've been wanting to go to Japan for quite awhile now, this isn't helping soothe my urge. =-(

I think it's a bit too expesive for me right now.

Nice pictures.

EDIT: It's weird seeing people walking in the middle of what looks to be a major street with no cars. Haha.

EDIT AGAIN: Oh, they close the streets off-- that shows a lot about me looking at just the pics and not reading.

Jan 4, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 21
Beautiful.. i love to travel

Jan 4, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 21
I'm really interested in what headphone amp that is for the Qualia!

And btw doesn't that mini Xmas tree generate nasty power interference?
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I'm really interested in what headphone amp that is for the Qualia!

And btw doesn't that mini Xmas tree generate nasty power interference?
tongue.gif

It's still the Luxman, though I forgot what the model number was. The disassembled 010 is new, it wasn't there half a year ago. Dang, I would have been curious to go through that.

The 5555 shop is the Dynamic Audio accessories shop. They used to have a Freezone wireless system with the original Grado PS-1 build.

Looks like a great trip - brought back tons of memories. Shopping in Japan is always fun.

Best,

-Jason

Jan 4, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 21
Absolutely wonderful pics. Thanks for sharing. I really like the one showing the innards of the Qualia.

That guy in the shop already has the newer DT770 and W5000 on his wall.

Why can't we get something like this in the states?

Jan 4, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 21
Isn't it a little cold to be running around in mini-skirts?

They let you take the qualia apart?
eek.gif
eek.gif

Looks like a fun trip? Did you bring anything home with you?... headphone -wise... leave the mini-skirts for another discussion
biggrin.gif

thanks for the pics
Garrett

Jan 4, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #12 of 21
Nice pics!
Looking at them makes me really miss my home country - it's been over a decade since I've left the country, and it's been several years since I've gone back for a visit. At this point, I suspect I'm more of a "gaijin" than anything.

Jan 4, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 21
you're right jason, it is a luxman. i've never heard of it before so i assume that it must be a japanese brand that never made it over here. the listening station at qualia was really well set up but i won't comment on the sound as i didn't have enough time on it.

i believe the disassembled 010 display was actually the mock ups for it during development. the headband and most of the structure was made of wire and some string but the final product has carbon fiber and metal. here are some more pics of the display and there is also another ES555/Luxman/010 listening station off to the right of it.

dsc009054zo.jpg

dsc009064wn.th.jpg

dsc009074oq.th.jpg

dsc009086zq.jpg

sorry, i copied the wrong link from image shack and it's not working properly right now. i'll update this again later.

Jan 4, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Isn't it a little cold to be running around in mini-skirts?

They let you take the qualia apart?
eek.gif
eek.gif

Looks like a fun trip? Did you bring anything home with you?... headphone -wise... leave the mini-skirts for another discussion
biggrin.gif

thanks for the pics
Garrett

i really don't know how the women do it there. even in the dead of winter, you see them running around in mini-skirts, not that i mind seeing it but it's just so cold! this time around, the weather was a bit chilly, upper 30's low 40's, but not cold enough to have to wear a heavy jacket but with all of the walking that you do, your body warms up quickly.

unfortunately it was a really painful trip since it actually started off in korea for a 1 day meeting and then to kyoto/osaka for another 1 day meeting then off to tokyo for another 1 day meeting. 3 consecutive days of meetings and rushing from place to place wasn't fun but the shopping made up for it. i couldn't resist and got myself an A900LTD. i'll post pics of it later tonight after i get home.

Jan 4, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha

The 5555 shop is the Dynamic Audio accessories shop. They used to have a Freezone wireless system with the original Grado PS-1 build.

WHA? They actually sold that system in the stores at one point? Someone out there has to own a pair and give us a listen, right?
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back