January Sumo Basho!!!!
Jan 17, 2007 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
Well, we're now past the halfway point and Asashoryu is at only one loss and on his way to another yusho! Otherwise the story is the continued impact of the non-Japanese rikishi. There are now top guys from Russia, Georgia, Korea, Bulgaria, Estonia, and especially Mongolia.
The only guy with a realistic shot at Asashoryu this time is Chiyotaikai.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 4
There're guys from foreign countries allowed to participate? I thought it was such a big deal when the Polynesians entered the frey only a few years ago. Certainly, things have opened up.

I'd love to see non-Asians and see how they do. Any links to videos?

Jan 17, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There're guys from foreign countries allowed to participate? I thought it was such a big deal when the Polynesians entered the frey only a few years ago. Certainly, things have opened up.

it was quite a bit longer than a "few years ago." konishiki (aka saleva'a atisanoe) made his way to sumo in the mid-late '80s (he graduated high school in 1982 or 1983, i believe), so foreigners have been in the makuuchi (top ranks) for about 20 years. at the only basho i ever attended (fukuoka in the mid-90s) akebono, the first foreigner to make it to yokozuna (grand champion), was upset...so per tradition, i got to fly my zabuton cushion towards the dohyo (ring). good times.

anyway, i've not been keeping up with sumo as closely as i should, but i did notice that kaio is still only an ozeki, which he's held off and on for the last decade. what a waste...this guys is freakin' strong and way too talented. but looks like he's too old to ever gain yokozuna status...too bad.

Jan 18, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know a reliable source for complete current videos. Sometimes one can piece together decent next day coverage on YOUTUBE!

Yesterday Asashoryu rubbed out Chiyotaikai so the only guy within sight is low ranking Toyonoshima.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back