I've got a bad feeling about this: A "For Sale" trade going south
Jun 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #61 of 412
Doesn't this post and the feedback forum serve difference purposes? As Gatto pointed out, this post served to help solve the problem at hand. Or at least it intended to. A post in the feedback forum is meant to serve as a warning to others. Isn't it?

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #64 of 412
I disagree. What happens if you pay for something today but a member strings you along for months? The transaction isn't really concluded. Why wait months to post feedback? That is plenty of time for a scammer to defraud several members. If it is a simple misunderstanding and everything has been resolved then you can update or revise your feedback to reflect that.

My point is that most members probably don't come to the Members Lounge to look for trading references on people they are about to transact business with. That is what the feedback forum is for. I really fail to see why some of you are having such a difficult time with that.

--Jerome

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #65 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Set his lawn on fire?

Who has the call list for the staffing of the fire team?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #67 of 412
Well, I talked to Dave again a few hours ago. He dropped off the package at one of those 24-hour thingies, and told me he would PM me the numbers that seemed like viable candidates of being a tracking number. Still waiting for that PM five hours later.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #68 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. What happens if you pay for something today but a member strings you along for months? The transaction isn't really concluded. Why wait months to post feedback? That is plenty of time for a scammer to defraud several members. If it is a simple misunderstanding and everything has been resolved then you can update or revise your feedback to reflect that.

My point is that most members probably don't come to the Members Lounge to look for trading references on people they are about to transact business with. That is what the feedback forum is for. I really fail to see why some of you are having such a difficult time with that.

--Jerome

I think most members only check the feedback forum when doing a sale and they only look up the people they're going to work with. Threads like these are intended to pull the scammer into the public forum of discussion so they have little choice but to explain themselves. I would never have looked up this person's feedback thread unless I was about to do business with them.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #69 of 412
People want to keep arguing that these sorts of threads are fine and at the same time it is ok for people involved in problem transactions to not post feedback in the FS forums. In my view that is selfish and wrong-headed, because not all head-fiers hang out in the lounge -- though they may participate in the FS forums from time to time. So not posting feedback hurts other head-fiers who don't frequent the lounge. I believe that this is wrong, and I am not going to let it go.

Air it out here if you must, but be damned sure to post feedback in the FS forums when you are involved in a transaction with other members. To do anything less makes you a poor head-fier in my book.

--Jerome

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #70 of 412
Quote:

People want to keep arguing that these sorts of threads are fine and at the same time it is ok for people involved in problem transactions to not post feedback in the FS forums. In my view that is selfish and wrong-headed, because not all head-fiers hang out in the lounge -- though they may participate in the FS forums from time to time. So not posting feedback hurts other head-fires who don't frequent the lounge. I believe that this is wrong, and I am not going to let it go.

Air it out here if you must, but be damned sure to post feedback in the FS forums when you are involved in a transaction with other members. To do anything less makes you a poor head-fier in my book.

--Jerome

Gotta say I agree with this completely.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #71 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffygdog95 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is not quite sufficient as not many people check the feedback of members here.

Is that a guess? I personally check feedback on everyone before I make a purchase. I check feedback on Head-Fi, eBay or wherever it may be available.

I personally have bought or sold little here on Head-Fi, which is why I list my eBay feedback. I want people to be comfortable that I'm not going to scam them and I don't blame them for being cautious. I just wish Craiglist had feedback too, with all the sales I do there.

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #73 of 412
Quote:

People want to keep arguing that these sorts of threads are fine and at the same time it is ok for people involved in problem transactions to not post feedback in the FS forums. In my view that is selfish and wrong-headed, because not all head-fiers hang out in the lounge -- though they may participate in the FS forums from time to time. So not posting feedback hurts other head-fiers who don't frequent the lounge. I believe that this is wrong, and I am not going to let it go.

--Jerome

I can see where you are coming from. I think the others are trying to say that you put the situation out here in to the lounge, trying to get some immediate response now that more than 2 people know what is going on. If, after a selected amount of time (few weeks/month?) the transaction is still not completed, this is where negative feedback is placed. Of course, feedback can be put in place UNTIL a further conclusion is made, but may be unfair to the seller as we may not have heard their story.

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #74 of 412
@ jsaliga

As everyone else has said in the quotes below, they serve different purposes. If he had posted this in feedback, it would help most people who came to buy an item from him/sell to him, however it would not have attracted attention, and gained good advice from others.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't this post and the feedback forum serve difference purposes? As Gatto pointed out, this post served to help solve the problem at hand. Or at least it intended to. A post in the feedback forum is meant to serve as a warning to others. Isn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think most members only check the feedback forum when doing a sale and they only look up the people they're going to work with. Threads like these are intended to pull the scammer into the public forum of discussion so they have little choice but to explain themselves. I would never have looked up this person's feedback thread unless I was about to do business with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I check if i'm BUYING or SELLING to somebody, but Mule wouldn't have got useful advice over there would here? Daily exposure wouldn't be high enough, I know I don't read feedback threads for fun. I refer to them when I need them.
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see where you are coming from. I think the others are trying to say that you put the situation out here in to the lounge, trying to get some immediate response now that more than 2 people know what is going on. If, after a selected amount of time (few weeks/month?) the transaction is still not completed, this is where negative feedback is placed. Of course, feedback can be put in place UNTIL a further conclusion is made, but may be unfair to the seller as we may not have heard their story.

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #75 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by paddo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And this is precisely the mentality that I am having a problem with.

At the point you feel that you are involved in a troubled transaction you should post feedback and let the person you are dealing with know that you have posted feedback. By waiting weeks or months, you are undermining the very purpose of the feedback forum and [size=small]potentially hurting your fellow head-fiers[/size]. You cannot possibly know everything that another member is up to. Someone could be responding to all sorts of FS, FT, and WTB listings all at the same time. They don't necessarily have to be listing something for sale to instigate trouble.

This thread was started after just one week. It is one thing to use this forum to alert people to a possible scammer, and the point at which you should do that is debatable. But in this case the OP jumped the gun in my view. And if you are going to use the member's lounge as a trading tool in lieu of the feedback forum, then you have to be prepared to take some criticism for it. Had he posted feedback and alerted his trading partner that he had done so, airing this out in the member's lounge might not have been necessary.

And I will note for the second time that there is still no feedback on FYDave and there should be. The OP can always change the feedback if his trading partner completes the transaction. But by bringing this dispute here and not posting feedback, the only person who potentially benefits is the OP, and those who have seen this thread. If feeback had been posted, then anyone who might enter into a business transaction with FYDave and cared to check his feedback would know about it -- and that is the point.

So as long as people are going to argue this I will have a response. And if you are wondering why I feel so strongly about this subject it is because I was ripped off to the tune of $2,500 on another forum several years ago. And all because someone else did not want post feedback but instead dragged it out into a general discussion forum. I never saw that thread, and so two people ended up getting taken instead of one person.

--Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back