I've done it again, I've downgraded: This time to a Grado SR-80! (long post)
Feb 18, 2008 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
You may or may not have been following my last thread, Does the Sennheiser HD650 sound slow?.

I have finally plumped for a replacement, and they are a headphone that was at the back of my mind now for a little while, possibly as an alternative to the HD650, but perhaps, on further reflection, I think these are possibly good enough to actually replace the HD650 in my system.

I've owned the HD650 no less than THREE times now, and have tried them on a variety of sources and amps. Many would say that in the past, my sources and/or amps have been lacking. That being said, I would personally argue that my source is definietly up for the job of waking a sound system up, and although there has been a debate in the above thread about the quality of my amps, there are enough reviews of it on headfi to suggest its probably not a bad little amp.

That said, whatever the situation, the HD650 (a $500 headphone) and ANT Amber (a $400 amp) was getting its arse handed to it on a plate by my speakers which actually cost me approx $500 both together (although granted that was not their original value!!).

I was starting to get a little tired of their slow bass, muffled sound and the fact you had to ramp the volume right up to enjoy it. Moreover, its been the same EVERY single time I've used the HD650 although to be fair, this time it has been tolerable enough to put up with it for the last nearly two years (cant say I've not given it a fair chance).

I've heard people say that I need to spend a silly sum of money to make it sound like it should. I say to that, get real, its a relatively inexpensive pair of headphones. Its like buying a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds, and then trying to tell their disappointed owner that in fact their $400 Cambridge Audio amp isnt good enough and thats why they sound crap. In actual fact, they need a nice hefty $1500 Naim amp for their budget speakers!!

Now before you have a go at me for that analogy, I realise that headphones are alleged to be more revealing than speakers, but on the basis of what the HD650 were serving up day to day, I had cause to dispute this, but everyone will have their own theories on this.

Here is mine: The HD650 are, and always will be polite and laid back headphones, with a tendency to smooth over rough edges. This can lead subpar recordings and/or inadequate systems to sound "veiled", or as most people would describe it, slightly "muffled". Added to that its dark tonality, and I can certainly see why people would say they need an expensive system to shine. However, what is subjective is whether that makes the Sennheiser a "needy, demanding, but capable phone", or whether it makes it "overrated and flawed". Personally, I am not sure what to think.

One thing I am sure of is that this headphone will get no more chances here. Three is quite enough, and there is mental barrier preventing me from spending astonishing amounts of cash trying to fix problems that are totally absent from a speaker rig that can be assembled for the price of the headphones on their own!

I have been researching on here a possible replacement for it. The more I researched, the more it came down to one brand, which I have owned once before, but overall, compared with the Beyers, Sennheisers, Sony's and AKGs of this world, have not really been given all that much of a chance in comparison.

Why is that? Well personally, I have made my views clear in the past about what i think about Grado's pricing policy, and that has been a big obstacle for me. I personally think that Grado might sell significantly more headphones abroard if they reviewed this policy, and gave a realistic price to some of their products. I really dont understand why an RS-1 doesnt cost £450, but instead costs £700.

Having said all of that, the Grado is the one headphone that seems to offer the kind of sound I am looking for, that is, highly musical, crystal clear, having an edge when it needs to, and with fast, punchy bass, the kind of headphone that offers a foot-tapping sound.

So why the SR-80? Well for one thing, none of the hifi shops around here stock anything better. You'll be spoiled for choice for Senn's and Beyer's (maybe why i've had so many), but Grados? Not very popular according to the guy there. I wonder why? (hint, price).

In any case, I wanted a demo of a Grado, and I have read in many places that the SR-80 is the sweetspot combination of performance and price, so I was still willing to give it a try, despite me wanting to try a higher model.

One thing going to this shop allowed me to do was throw in a wildcard. A brand new "Basic" Stax system with energizer.

With my equipment in toe, and my demo disc in the player, I set about listening to the two contenders.

When I first owned a pair of SR-80 years ago, not only was I running it through a far less capable system than the one I now own, but it also appeared to have poorer build quality than the pair I used today (and now own). Not only that but my original SR-80 had different pads to this one. The pads my original pair owned were flat, and the driver touched your ears making it very uncomfortable. This one appears to have bigger more comfortable pads on and the drivers are not touching your ears.

My first impression were how light and relatively comfortable these felt, an impression that surprisingly did not fade. I dont find them much less comfortable than the Senns!

My test disc contained the usual mix of music I tend to listen to, everything from a bit of hard trance, to more mellow electronica like Massive Attack and Chicane, to rock music like Oasis and the Automatic, and even some old stuff like Goldie!

My overall impression was one of some surprise. I felt that the SR-80 sounded pretty much on a par with the HD650 in terms of outright quality, except maybe for one thing - it does not attempt to refine the sound at all. It just delivers what is on the source with warts and all. In rock music, guitars sound edgy like they should. In techno music it was bright, fast and punchy, and it really drove the music along. Even in the old stuff it remained clean and clear.

In fact, subjectively, they seemed even more detailed than the Senns. I'm not saying they ARE more detailed, but they certainly present more detail in a fashion that is easier to hear.

There ARE compromises though. First off, the bass is not as deep as the HD650, but for the vast majority of music I listen to this is not a problem. Secondly, the soundstage is obviously smaller, but this was not as bad as I imagined. The bottom line for me is, despite some headphones trying to mimic speakers, they ALL fail to my ears. As such, this isnt really an issue at all to me, and I dont find the Grados in any way claustrophobic. I am more than happy with the compromises it has for the advantages it gives.

On the plus side, compared with the HD650, the SR-80s are truly exciting, detailed, with a seemingly very clear sound, and very fast punchy bass, these headphones truly do the PRaT thing.

Another thing I noticed was that these were still nice to listen to even with the volume on a lower setting. This is where the Senns for me were spectacularly bad, because their already dull, dark sound just sounded utterly uninvolving at anything less than "loud".

Overall, unsurprisingly, they are COMPLETELY different headphones. Someone who really enjoys the Grado sound may well hate the Sennheiser sound, and vice versa. I now realise I am firmly in the former camp. What surprised me is that, to my ears, and on my system, the SR-80 was a genuine competitor to the HD650 in absolute quality terms IMO. The SR-80 has compromises, such as bass extension and refinement, but the HD650 is compromised in the areas of clarity and speed. I dont dispute it MAY be possible to change this, but I prefer this easier route to the kind of sound I want, rather than spending hundreds trying to rescue a sound which shouldnt need rescuing in the first place!

OK, a few words about the Stax system. I believe it was a Stax SRS-2020II, with the energizer.

As an "audiophile" product, I found it to be superior to my ANT Amber / Sennheiser HD650 combo. The bass was much faster / cleaner, the sound was overall more clear. It resolved SIGNIFICANTLY more details. It has a larger soundstage and was more convincing. The bass and body of the music was actually much better than I had thought it would be. On the downside, I thought the comfort was a step down from either of these cans, and it might have been my imagination, but I felt that it was actually warming my ears up, and the pads would get sweaty on even moderately warm days. The energizer seemed to be pushed to the max to deliver an SPL that was acceptable for some material with wide dynamic ranges. Could be a problem if you use them as movie phones. Despite seemingly having the fast bass that I demanded, and the detail that was desirable, it somehow shared a similar signature to the HD650, and as such, I just felt it was lacking the fun factor somehow. Not only that, but I felt that any subjective improvements were not somehow worth the extra money, especially taking into account the perceived lack of fun factor.

So there you have it, I am now a Grado owner once again, and despite the lack of a higher end model, I am not actually sure it matters too much now, because as far as I can gather, a higher model Grado would probably offer small, incremental improvements in actual sound quality, but it seems that the SR-80 is bang on the money for fun factor.

Its just a pity that it costs so much in the UK, but I was prepared to pay a little more in support to the shop that allowed me to demo these headphones in my own time, at my own pace. Also nice to have the warranty given some of the scare stories of Grado build quality, or lack of it. That said, even at the inflated UK price for these cans, I feel the SR-80 still represent good value for money.

IMO, the Beyer DT531 were still the better VFM headphone in Europe for price/performance ratio, as they were obtainable for just over half the price brand new, but I would probably argue that the SR-80 probably offers at least equal sound quality, maybe better, and its probably just as much fun too.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 17
I totally agree where you're coming from and HD650s are too bassy and requires too expensive setup to sound fantastic (Balanced cable + balanced amp). This is why I chose K701 over it - which is magnificent speed and detail.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 17
Your Amber ANT might have great build quality, great components and a great frequency response.

However, your amp has only 100mW of output. Do you understand what output power is? Do you understand its relationship with headphone sensitivity and impedance? This is not subjective.

You are assuming that all headphones are equal when it comes to sensitivity, impedance curves, and every other technical aspect.

They, absolutely, are not. If you bothered to find an amp with sufficient output power and damping to handle the HD-650, you'd have an entirely different view of it.

Right now, you're judging the food at a restaurant by only ordering a can of Coke.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your Amber ANT might have great build quality, great components and a great frequency response.

However, your amp has only 100mW of output. Do you understand what output power is? Do you understand its relationship with headphone sensitivity and impedance? This is not subjective.

You are assuming that all headphones are equal when it comes to sensitivity, impedance curves, and every other technical aspect.

They, absolutely, are not. If you bothered to find an amp with sufficient output power and damping to handle the HD-650, you'd have an entirely different view of it.

Right now, you're judging the food at a restaurant by only ordering a can of Coke.

I totally agree. Nice analogy too!

Nick

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 17
I was kind of expecting a backlash on this...

I still dont think an amp on its own is every going to solve what I perceive as the HD650s achilles heals. I had the X-Can v3 the last time I had an HD650, and that was an amp that was reportedly designed on, and around the Sennheisers. It STILL sounded rather soul-less.

Are you saying that the HD650 have earned a reputation for being laid back for no good reason?

It seems to me that on here if you accuse the HD650 of being dull, the finger of blame is pointed immediately at the equipment, with no consideration that the user may in fact just "not like them".

Nobody has yet acknowledged or questioned why a £100 second hand pair of transmission lines and a £150 second hand classic Harman Kardon integrated amp blows the HD650 into the weeds.

I acknowledge your point that the Amber might be more suited to lower impedance, easier to drive phones. It certainly seems like that is the case in fairness.

Are you suggesting that it is wise to throw silly amounts of money into trying to turn a dull headphone into a something that it was clearly never meant to be?

As a side note, if a $400 amp is such a bad match for a pair of Senn's then based what I have heard today, I'd say the Stax SRS-2020-II system is a FAR superior choice over a HD650 + equivalent amp setup for the things that they do well - similar sounding to my ears, but with a lot more detail and better imaging and clarity.

While my views on this may be controversial to some people, they are my ears, and my opinions, and I'm not holding any punches here.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 17
I found that the HD650 while getting better with higher end ups tends to still have the same HD650 sound. I heard them on an ES-1 balanced. It sounded very good but still had a bit of a laid back, slower sound to me compared to the Grados.

I think the HD650 comes down to preference and there isn't much that can be done about that even with the high end amps.

Grados definately start to lose value after the SR-60, 80 especially overseas but it seems that they are your preference.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 17
If anyone's tempted by the £79.99 for sr80's at iheadphones.co.uk - I googled just before hitting the buy it now button, and found not very favourable feedback on avforums. One to research further for a good price for these.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that the HD650 while getting better with higher end ups tends to still have the same HD650 sound. I heard them on an ES-1 balanced. It sounded very good but still had a bit of a laid back, slower sound to me compared to the Grados.

I think the HD650 comes down to preference and there isn't much that can be done about that even with the high end amps.

Grados definately start to lose value after the SR-60, 80 especially overseas but it seems that they are your preference.

Finally, someone who is honest and admits that the HD650s are fundamentally laid back regardless of the system.

Some people clearly have trouble accepting that others may simply find them dull and inoffensive. To be fair to them, I suspect the HD650 were designed to be supremely comfortable, smooth, and unfatiguing, so the listener can listen for hours. They succeed admirably at that. The Grados compared to these sound rather hot, but will undoubtably be more fatiguing with extended listening at any equivalent volume than the Senns, but as I rarely spend hours listening to headphones anyway thats hardly a problem.

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 17
Nice. I have never heard the HD650 but I own HD580 to complement my SR-80.

I've read many times that the SR-225 was the sweet spot in the Grado line but the SR-80 is very good for its price-to-performance ratio too.

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was kind of expecting a backlash on this...

It's not a backlash. You can show the difference mathematically and with test gear.

Quote:

I still dont think an amp on its own is every going to solve what I perceive as the HD650s achilles heals. I had the X-Can v3 the last time I had an HD650, and that was an amp that was reportedly designed on, and around the Sennheisers. It STILL sounded rather soul-less.

If you use an amp with sufficient power, damping, a good slew rate, and so on, you're going to get VERY different performance from one that doesn't have it.

Are you arguing that all amps are exactly the same? They aren't. Don't be foolish. They are different, and different performance gets different results.

Just because you keep trying the wrong thing doesn't mean that everything is wrong.

Quote:

Are you saying that the HD650 have earned a reputation for being laid back for no good reason?

They have the reputation because many people try to drive it with a fleapower amp that produces those results.

If you drive your car with the emergency brake on all the time, that does not mean the car has bad performance. It means you're driving with the emergency brake on.

Quote:

It seems to me that on here if you accuse the HD650 of being dull, the finger of blame is pointed immediately at the equipment, with no consideration that the user may in fact just "not like them".

The user may not like them. But that doesn't mean the user is using the correct equipment. You can drive screws with a hammer, but that's not the best way to do it.

Quote:

Nobody has yet acknowledged or questioned why a £100 second hand pair of transmission lines and a £150 second hand classic Harman Kardon integrated amp blows the HD650 into the weeds.

Depends on what you're looking for in the music. If that makes you happier, then use them.

Quote:

I acknowledge your point that the Amber might be more suited to lower impedance, easier to drive phones. It certainly seems like that is the case in fairness.

Impedance is like trying to figure out your mileage by only looking at your horsepower. There is a relationship, but you also have to figure in the headphone's impedance and sensitivity, and well as output power. There is a balancing act between those. Your Grados sound better because they have a much higher sensitivity than Sennheisers. Therefore, they're driven much more efficiently by 100mW, than something that needs 5-6 TIMES that much to be driven well.

Quote:

Are you suggesting that it is wise to throw silly amounts of money into trying to turn a dull headphone into a something that it was clearly never meant to be?

The headphone reflects what is fed to it. Garbage in, garbage out. You 're driving it with insufficient power. The amp is the problem. You can spend what you want. If you get a soldering iron and visit junk stores, you can piece together a very satisfying amp for under $100.

Quote:

As a side note, if a $400 amp is such a bad match for a pair of Senn's then based what I have heard today, I'd say the Stax SRS-2020-II system is a FAR superior choice over a HD650 + equivalent amp setup for the things that they do well - similar sounding to my ears, but with a lot more detail and better imaging and clarity.

Let's get this clear: MONEY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE QUALITY OF AN AMP. A dollar value DOES NOT EQUAL a specific output. I can take $150 worth of tubes and iron and build an amp with 1W of output that will leave yours in the ditch.

Quote:

While my views on this may be controversial to some people, they are my ears, and my opinions, and I'm not holding any punches here.

Your view extends only to the subjective, which is whether you like something or not.

You're using the headphones the wrong way. It's as simple as that.

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #11 of 17
Woah!

Uncle Erik, I am just an ordinary bloke on the street. I am no expert in electronics or science, and my review reflects what I hear, in all honesty. To attempt to address some of your points though.

Are you arguing that all amps are exactly the same?
No.

Your Grados sound better because they have a much higher sensitivity than Sennheisers. Therefore, they're driven much more efficiently by 100mW, than something that needs 5-6 TIMES that much to be driven well.
Great, I'm happy with that. I agree that its better to have more than enough power than not enough. That said, the Amber was more than capable of driving the 650's to deafening levels, and subjectively, didnt appear to have trouble driving them.

In fact what you seem to be saying is that any half decent amp with a huge output would do fine for the Senns.

What I AM saying is that I still dont think they'd hit the spot for me. There seem to be people on here who agree that they are laid back phones. If the overwhelming consensus was that they were not I might be inclined to try and fix the problem, but I am not, because in this case, the solution is cheaper and easier and thats to go for cans that suit my tastes.

Something doesnt add up about this blaming the amp. I am not for one minute suggesting its the best amp for HD650, or for anything really, but one review I read of it (on this very forum) stated that, and I quote, "the Amber headbutts the HD650 to wake it up". This from a member who, I seem to recall, probably has a lot more experience with various headphones and amps than I ever have or will. Why would he say something like that if it in fact, had the opposite effect? He had nothing to gain from saying this, as far as I could tell.

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 17
Uncle Erik sez:

"You're using the headphones the wrong way. It's as simple as that."

I got an email from Sennheiser the other day, from Product Manager Eric Palonen. He said, "We feel that our headphones, right out of the box they are shipped to you in, will satisfy your audiophile needs."

So pbirkett isn't using the headphones wrong, according to the manufacturer.

You should be able to plug the HD650 indiscrimantely into any old hole that you find in any old piece of equipment, and get audiophile sound quality. I think you pretty much do. pbirkett doesn't. That's fine.

What I think pbirkett and I both agree on, however, is that HD650 fetishists who squeeze it to within an inch of its life with tweaks 'n' things are scarey nuts.

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #13 of 17
Also wondering what would make the carpet go away for the Senns. Bought the DV332, which supposed to be the "perfect match" for them, and also a cable that cost almost as much as the phones, along with tube rolling.

Still muffled.

Now, if I just bought a SDS-XLR, maybe they would open up...?
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #14 of 17
Not that I hate Grados but I always found the house Grado sound to be fatiguing and particularly shrill on the high-end and uncomfortable build quality to boot.

While I agreed with much of what you said about the Senns I feel that the Senns are far superior to the Grado's I've heard (MS-1, SR60, HF-1) in terms of detail and presentation. The veil disappears with the right upgrade cable or even a shift to the HD600, but even before the upgrade I could instantly drift away with Senns while with the Grado's I could stand maybe half an hour at best before needing a break.

My next can however will be the SR-80, I've always wanted to give them a try.

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also wondering what would make the carpet go away for the Senns. Bought the DV332, which supposed to be the "perfect match" for them, and also a cable that cost almost as much as the phones, along with tube rolling.

Still muffled.

Now, if I just bought a SDS-XLR, maybe they would open up...?
biggrin.gif

No need for SDS-XLR, just get the Extreme or a used Extreme platinum. You will be quite surprised how good the HD-650 is capable of with a powerful single end headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back