I've been Wooed...
Sep 15, 2007 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

GAD

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought a Woo WA6 with some tubes from SACD_Lover and I received it today. I'm giddy!
smily_headphones1.gif
Earl has restored my faith in humanity being more generous than anyone I've ever dealt with online. Thanks Earl!

Man what a great looking amp. It's a bit smaller than I anticipated, which is actually good because I expected something I couldn't fit anywhere. As it is I'll need a bigger desk!
smily_headphones1.gif
At the very least I need to rearrange.

I must say it looks pretty damn sexy sitting in front of my Nixie tube clock. I love tubes. There's just something so... right about them. Forget about sound for now - it's a pure magic thing. Just thinking about all those electrons flying from one side to the other makes me grin. They're just so physical where transistors are too close to magic. Transistors do everything in secret. Tubes are honest - they let you see what's happening. Call me romantic if you must, but I love me some tubes!
smily_headphones1.gif

When I was a kid (way too long ago), I used to help my dad fix TVs in his spare time. He had a huge tackle-box-type tote that we took with us that was filled with tubes. I'd spend every Saturday with him at the local electronics store while we tested tubes. The minute I opened the box from Earl and saw all the little tube boxes I was taken back to a much simpler time when you could fix a television by swapping out a tube or two.

I'm off to do some more listening. So far I'd categorize it as warmer than the GS-1, but sort of closed. I'm pretty sure this amp has low hours, so I'll be letting it play for a couple hundred hours before being too critical. I have a feeling I'll eventually send it in for the upgrades. Or maybe I'll treat it to a nice GZ34 Metal Base. Or maybe both.
blink.gif

Count on some pictures soon too!
600smile.gif

GAD

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 34
Congrats. I recently bought the GES electrostat.

For the WA6 a tube upgrade is a must, not an option (talking from experience). Day and night.

Also the amp and volume sound a lot better when warmed up for a couple of hours.

BTW- Love the Nixie clock. It is the epitome of cool.

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 34
Thanks - I'm not using the stock tube - I'm using a Sovtek 5U4G right now. The amp was ordered with a TungSol upgrade instead of the standard 5AR4 and Early included the others.

I've got Two of the Sovteks, and one Tungsol Rectifier. I've got a pile of drivers - RCA, Sylvania, Raytheon, GE - Fun!
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 34
We had a mini meet in Westchester this summer and were comparing the WA5 to the Cary 300SEi. The WA5 had stock Chinese 300b's in them and no one was impressed.
Then we took the Western Electric 300B out of Bozebuttons Cary and swapped them in, let 'em warm up and we were floored.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...98&postcount=5

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 34
I like to pretend that there are tiny men in spaceships flying around in my tubes...
blink.gif
600smile.gif

I like my stock WA3 enough to not want to upgrade, although I'm using Tung-Sol & Amperex tube upgrades.

Sep 16, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 34
Welcome to the DA10/WA6 club.
wink.gif

Tube upgrade necessity really depends on phones used. Of course sometimes better tubes sound worse with some phones. Certainly the closed feeling can be worked with.

Sep 16, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 34
They're making blue LED's in a star configuration now? Awesome.
wink.gif

Makes it look "high current".

Mazerstein...why do you have the Michelen man doin' "da coffee grinder" ?
cool.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're making blue LED's in a star configuration now? Awesome.
wink.gif

Makes it look "high current".

Cool photography trick #2918: Take a picture of a small point of light with a very small aperture and the point of light will appear as a star - the number of points in the star is a derivative of the number of blades in the lens's aperture.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks - I'm not using the stock tube - I'm using a Sovtek 5U4G right now. The amp was ordered with a TungSol upgrade instead of the standard 5AR4 and Early included the others.

I've got Two of the Sovteks, and one Tungsol Rectifier. I've got a pile of drivers - RCA, Sylvania, Raytheon, GE - Fun!
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Actually the amp was ordered with the two Sovtek 5U4G's. The TS 5U4G is the upgraded tube from my stash. All the tubes you received are new and have never been used; except the one Sovtek and the TS rectifier which has 40 or so hours of use. The stock/ supplied 6DE7 tubes were not that good, and I could only fit so many in the box, so I gave you several brands I thought would be better.

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mazerstein...why do you have the Michelen man doin' "da coffee grinder" ?
cool.gif

rofl.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #14 of 34
Congrats on the cool amp GAD! It seemed like every Woo thread brought you closer to mania, so I am relieved you can finally satisfy your Woo tube lust.
tongue.gif
Enjoy and more nice pics would be swell.

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the amp was ordered with the two Sovtek 5U4G's. The TS 5U4G is the upgraded tube from my stash. All the tubes you received are new and have never been used; except the one Sovtek and the TS rectifier which has 40 or so hours of use. The stock/ supplied 6DE7 tubes were not that good, and I could only fit so many in the box, so I gave you several brands I thought would be better.

Doh!

Upgrade is right! I was going to listen to each tube for a full day to decide which one sounded best, but upon reading this note rolled in the TS and the "closed" feeling is gone. Tubes are cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Did I mention that you're the best?
icon10.gif

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back