iUSB 3.0 experiences
Jun 18, 2016 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

johncarm

100+ Head-Fier
I just received an iUSB 3.0 from Music Direct to use with my iFi Nano. My first impression is that the sound is much brighter, compared to having the Nano plugged directly into the USB output of my laptop. My laptop has USB 3.0 outputs, by the way. It's not entirely good to be that bright...  but I wonder if maybe the iUSB needs some time to burn in or warm up? Any experiences with that?

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 6
Opposite experience for me. My DAC is strident without the iUSB 3.0. With it, sibilance and harshness are now controlled while the sound separation is greatly improved.

Jun 18, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 6
It's definitely bright. Hugoboss, what you call "detailed and clear" is what I call "high frequency extension"--the idea that the output extends to a higher frequency while not necessarily being brighter. But my Nano is definitely much brighter with the iUSB3.0. It's been warming up for 12 hours now with no significant change. I'm going to burn it in for a few days.

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 6
I got mine a few days ago.  I wouldn't call what I heard "bright", but there was certainly a tendency in that direction.  After three days either my hearing has adjusted or it's no longer presenting in the same way.  The thing I like most about my iFi DAC2 is its analog-like sound.  What I'd hoped for from the iUSB 3.0 is a cleaner, blacker background without diminishing that quality I like so much.  Maybe that's what's happened and I'm mistaking 'bright" for cleaner.  We'll see.  I'm still pleased with the purchase. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back