iTunes remote
Jan 19, 2005 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dknightd

500+ Head-Fier
I find myself more and more using my 17" flatscreen iMac and iTunes as a music source. Both on headphones and speakers. Sounds pretty good using, for now, an M-audio audiophile firewire. What it lacks is the convenience of a remote control. Are there such devices? My needs are pretty simple - skip forward and back, volume up and down, pause (and/or mute). 5 buttons.

Jan 19, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 16
What do you need a remote for? Life is random.

icon10.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 16
Salling Clicker is a neat piece of software. Too bad BT-range is so small. Otherwise there is a ton of simple remotes around, just check Google / iPodlounge / your favourite Mac reseller / Apple's online store. Keyspan has one, e.g..

Jan 20, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 16
an alternative to salling clicker is a freeware app called "romeo," which utilizes a bluetooth phone.

not sure that helps, but just another app to check out...

Jan 20, 2005 at 9:38 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Why not a wireless keyboard? Works well for me when I need a "remote," although of course it is much bigger than a typical remote.

yeah, but with one of those you can pretend you got a G08
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #11 of 16
The ATI Remote Wonder uses RF wireless and is suppossed to control iTunes on the Mac. I don't have a Mac, but it does work on iTunes for Windows too. Mine came with my All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro card, but you can buy the Remote Wonder separately. It is a bit large and not a very simple remote but it is more versatile than many of the remotes in a similar price range.

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #12 of 16
I've got the Keyspan remote...works fine. The reception is on par with most tv remotes. The remote is very light and holds up well. My only gripes...the buttons are very small, the battery cover comes off too easily, and it's not very attractive.

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #13 of 16
BTW...MUCH better than a wireless keyboard if all you're looking for is a remote...and has more buttons than the Griffin one...which you can easily program to do whatever you want.

Jan 22, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #14 of 16
There was a new remote announced at MacWorld that I've ordered to use with my Mac Mini (arriving on Monday!). It's from Griffin Technology and is called the Air Click, the reason I bought this one is that it is a RF not IR remote. I'm going to tuck my MacMini under the desk so needed something that didn't have a line of sight requirement. The Air Click is supposed to ship later this month, the web site is http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...lick/index.php

Jim

Jan 22, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #15 of 16
That's the Griffin one I was talking about.
keyspan.jpg
prod_image_airremote.jpg

The new airclick is probably a lot more reliable...but only five buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back