iTunes/Foobar Users Audio Quality Guide
Jul 20, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #16 of 91
OK. I did everything and finally got foobar to work with KS (finally, by reverting to an older driver). But I can't get iTunes to open. It installed OK & I get the icons. When I click on it, I get past the license/accept splash screen, but then I get this message: "The folder 'iTunes' cannot be found or created, and is required. The default location for this folder is inside the MyMusic folder." I tried manually creating such a folder in the MyMusic folder, but I still get the same error.

Any idea what else I can try?

Thanks,
Tom

Jul 21, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #17 of 91
Before I do this, I want to make sure I'm reading you guys correctly.

I just reformatted my computer, without installing any sound card. I then installed my Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro & ASIO4all, then iTunes. If I am reading you right, my iTunes is still utilizing windows kernel mixing?

Oh, and please don't poke fun at my TBAAM--she works just as hard as anybody else out there to produce great music. For right now, I'm stuck with a college budget!
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #18 of 91
Nah, no one's going to make fun of the TBAAM.

Try using foobar with your TBAAM and ASIO4ALL.

I used one on a ThinkPad T42 laptop with good results. Optical output to a DAC and amp worked well.

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #20 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by aestuo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the problem?
On PCs iTunes uses Windows kernel mixing, which processes your sound file before sending it to your sound card. For example, if you lower the volume in iTunes, the kernel mixer will process and in essence resample your sound file at a lower volume, before sending it on to your sound card and applying whatever (other) volume controls you have enabled there.

KMixer will resample only if there are multiple files being played back at the same time. Are you guys absolutely sure you hear any difference? How about a blind test to negate the placebo?

Jul 25, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #22 of 91
i finished burning in my headphones but when i try to play my pink noise mp3 or wave file on foobar with either KS or ASIO with my EMU 0202, it doesn't let me play them for some reason. i have to use DS before it works.

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #24 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by htbyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK. I did everything and finally got foobar to work with KS (finally, by reverting to an older driver). But I can't get iTunes to open. It installed OK & I get the icons. When I click on it, I get past the license/accept splash screen, but then I get this message: "The folder 'iTunes' cannot be found or created, and is required. The default location for this folder is inside the MyMusic folder." I tried manually creating such a folder in the MyMusic folder, but I still get the same error.

Any idea what else I can try?

Thanks,
Tom

Did you move your My Music folder to somewhere else besides the default location?

Jul 27, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #25 of 91
When you say the volume bar doesn't work, you mean window's volume bar not itunes right?

Jul 27, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #26 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by starmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you move your My Music folder to somewhere else besides the default location?

Yes, I did. And probably inartfully, too! I put it on an external drive. And that folder has my name (Tom's Music) , but it doesn't show up in My Documents -- I have to navigate to it by going to the drive letter. But now there's a new My Music folder under My Documents, which doesn't have anything except a blank iTunes folder in it (no music, of course).

Any tips on how to solve this? I don't really have the room on the onboard drive to put the music files there.

Thanks,
Tom

Jul 27, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #27 of 91
Quote:

Any tips on how to solve this? I don't really have the room on the onboard drive to put the music files there.

One possibility: Download the Tweak UI utility from Microsoft. It will allow you to point your documents folders to other places. I've never tried pointing My Documents to an external drive, though, so I'm not sure what would happen if the external drive was turned off.

Jul 28, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #28 of 91
foobar passthrough doesn't seem to be working as I get crackles when I play the song in itunes and no crackles when using foobar

Jul 28, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #29 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the diff between the resampler (secret rabbit code) and the one that comes with foobar?

Secret Rabbit Code sounds good.

Steve N.

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #30 of 91
Quote:

Yes, I did. And probably inartfully, too! I put it on an external drive. And that folder has my name (Tom's Music) , but it doesn't show up in My Documents -- I have to navigate to it by going to the drive letter. But now there's a new My Music folder under My Documents, which doesn't have anything except a blank iTunes folder in it (no music, of course).

Thanks,
Tom

I use to have the same exact problem too. I just got a bigger internal hd and reformatted and installed it and it works. I don't really have an other suggestions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back