ITT: You help a first time noob buy his first set of cans ($100-200 range)
Dec 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

JVinci

New Head-Fier
Been lurking the forums for a few days now and figured that the best way to get direct answers would be to join up and make a thread about what I'm looking for.

GF just got me a set of beat's by dre (solo's) for christmas and as i'm sure you can guess, i was less than enthused. However, because I didn't want her to feel bad, I acted super excited and thought i might as well open them up and give them a try. Well, the reviews are right. Now, i never really considered myself an audiophile, but for $200, I think it was fair for me to set my expectations just a LITTLE high. Threw them on and plugged them into my HP Envy (which comes with beats audio software built in!) and wasn't exactly blown away by them.

bass was alright, but the overall song just sounded muddy. I thought, well i'll just keep with them and see what happens. Wore them for an hour just streaming music and after that i couldn't even wear them any
more because they hurt my ears so much. Looked in the mirror and they were all red from being pinned so long in an uncomfortable manner (probably due to the cups being so small). 

It's been 4 days and I've had enough. I can't handle them anymore. I read about headphone "burn in" periods, but i have a feeling that doesn't really apply to these guys. So i will definitely be returning them for a refund (got them from best buy so shouldn't be a problem).

Now, what are good replacements? I listen to hip hop, party mixes, some techno and other synth music. if you go to fratmusic.fm, i pretty much listen to all of that haha. 

Some headphones i've read about that:

[size=1.7em] Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones[/size]

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones[/size]

[size=1.7em] Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone[/size]

Anything else I should consider instead of these? the shure's an ATH's are both really appealing, but wanted to hear from some others that are experienced in this kind of field. 

Thanks!

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 20
the m50s sound like they would match your listening style pretty well. I haven't heard them personally, but i have the m-audio q40s and they are very similar. The q40s might actually suit your style more. i'd recommend searching for reviews about both headphones to see which are better for you

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 20

Quote:
the m50s sound like they would match your listening style pretty well. I haven't heard them personally, but i have the m-audio q40s and they are very similar. The q40s might actually suit your style more. i'd recommend searching for reviews about both headphones to see which are better for you

ya, i've heard a lot of good things about the m50's, and the reviews are off the charts. and thank you, i will look into the q40's as well

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 20
OP directed me here from another forum, as I also got beats and returned them disappointed. I also have the same amount of money to play around with. I'm currently using Sony XB300. But I was thinking about getting the AKG K142HD.. anyone here have experience with those?

No thread hijack, just here for the same info.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 20
the review of the q40s by warrior is probably one of the best ive seen. if you havent found that one already of coarse 

edit:
just saw your post e-bay. what kind of music do you listen to and whats your price range?

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 20
Guys, is it possible to move this discussion to the 'Buying Headphones ? Seeking Guidance etc' thread below ?

You really will be helping a lot more people by doing so.

Tks,

estreeter

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 20
^ better idea

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
Guys, is it possible to move this discussion to the 'Buying Headphones ? Seeking Guidance etc' thread below ?

Tks,

estreeter

Well to be honest with you, I saw a lot of people requesting info in that thread and not many people answering them. Hence this thread. Picked up e-bay looking for the same thing on another forum so now there's 2 people to help in this thread with more or less similar problems. just looking to upgrade headphones with the money from our beats.

and for that q40 review, is a there a link you could help me out with?

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
Quote:

Tks,

estreeter

Well to be honest with you, I saw a lot of people requesting info in that thread and not many people answering them. Hence this thread. Picked up e-bay looking for the same thing on another forum so now there's 2 people to help in this thread with more or less similar problems. just looking to upgrade headphones with the money from our beats.

and for that q40 review, is a there a link you could help me out with?

Just start another thread for that link. We love redundant threads here.

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
Just start another thread for that link. We love redundant threads here.

you must be confused friend, linking to ANOTHER thread, is the opposite of redundant. it's directing people to other threads so they can read the information there without cluttering up this one. but thanks for the sarcasm.

edit: ahh, you're the one who started that other thread. i now understand the tone haha

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 20
i have the srh750dj headphones and love them. highly reccomended. they sound good and have good bass. a little uncomfortable for some people but i find them prety comfy.

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
i have the srh750dj headphones and love them. highly reccomended. they sound good and have good bass. a little uncomfortable for some people but i find them prety comfy.

hmm why do you say that? because i would mainly be wearing these when working at my computer and for extended periods while studying. Would they be comfortable to for only 2 hours? 3? over 3 hours? thanks for the response too!

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 20
well i find no problems with thembeing uncomfortable but i knoe of people who say they are. i guess it depends on the shape of your head. i can wear them all day with no problems.

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 20
how about the AKG k271 MKII's ???? closed back circumaural and look good. however some reviews on amazon are saying the bass is a little week. Any comments about these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back