It's official...I'm hooked on my Archos
Mar 17, 2003 at 8:17 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
Yes indeedie...I really love having a whole collection in my pocket. I am using my Porta Pros right now but will be plugging in those CD3Ks as soon as they get here. I am using the OS Archos has installed and it is working out fine for me. I would like to try installing this RockBox everybody talks about. Wonder if I would have to reload all my mp3s again.

You'll be amazed at how well MP3s can sound with the CD3Ks. I haven't heard the Archos, but I have no doubt it sounds as good as my iPods, and that is fine indeed.

On a whim, I just plugged the Sonys into a tiny Xin modded SRF-S84 radio. This thing runs on a single AAA battery, and I usually use it with A44s. I discovered that the CD3Ks' shielded cable has relatively poor antenna properties, but the stronger stations sound amazingly good. I'm not exaggerating when I say practially anything can drive the CD3000s.

Mar 18, 2003 at 1:00 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad
I'm not exaggerating when I say practially anything can drive the CD3000s.

At your earlier suggestion I plan on powering them with "two lightning bugs in a bottle"
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2003 at 9:42 PM Post #20 of 27
>>OK, I've changed the firmware in my Archos to Rock Box but it seems now that I can't make playlists on the fly from the unit. Is that correct or did I miss something?<<

I have an upgraded (30G drive) original AJB6000.

Under Rockbox, to create a playlist of a directory, you first drill down to the directory level that contains all the songs you want in a playlist.

Then press menu button, scroll down using (+) edge of control button until you get Create Playlist, then press Play edge of control button.

A playlist will be created of all the songs in the directory and all subdirectories contained.

Mar 18, 2003 at 11:40 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by 10SNE1
>>OK, I've changed the firmware in my Archos to Rock Box but it seems now that I can't make playlists on the fly from the unit. Is that correct or did I miss something?<<

I have an upgraded (30G drive) original AJB6000.

Under Rockbox, to create a playlist of a directory, you first drill down to the directory level that contains all the songs you want in a playlist.

Then press menu button, scroll down using (+) edge of control button until you get Create Playlist, then press Play edge of control button.

A playlist will be created of all the songs in the directory and all subdirectories contained.

Thanks for the advice but I have no menu option "Create Playlist". For example, I wanted to create a playlist of my Dire Straits songs so I went to that directory. When I hit menu from there I get the following options: Sound Settings, General Settings, Info, Version, and Debug (keep out!). From what you wrote above I should get something called Create Playlist, but I don't. Did I install Rock box incorrectly? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mar 18, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
Question....do any of you folks here use a portable amp with the Archos?

Sorry to go on so long...but this MP3 thing is really a great surprise to me. I know the quality is lower than CD..but it sounds pretty good to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have 2 JMT amps I use with mine. Don't forget to back up your collection or else you'll be in a world of hurt like I was when I got my first Archos. You may find the ER4Ps a better match than the ER4S.

Mar 19, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #23 of 27
>>Thanks for the advice but I have no menu option "Create Playlist". <<

Make sure you have the latest Rockbox build. On my AJB, it is the third option, after General Settings.

Mar 19, 2003 at 1:04 AM Post #24 of 27
I have version 1.4 and after general settings the menu item is "info"

Mar 19, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #26 of 27
Which file? The download contains a whole bunch of files!!!
confused.gif

I tried naming a folder that contains them all ARCHOS.MOD but that doesn't work. It just uses the Archos firmware. I feel like an idiot.

Mar 19, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #27 of 27
Any one of the files under the appropriate column - I'm assuming 'Player' for the Studio model - will work.

The way I do it is connect the Jukebox to my PC using the USB cable, power it up and wait until the system recognizes it as an external drive.

Then, from the Rockbox site, I select for download the daily build I want. Example: archos20030318.mod. Then I save it as archos.mod in the root level of the Archos drive.

You will have to rename the existing archos.mod to something else like archos.oldmod beforehand or delete it, otherwise, Windows will warn you of a duplicate file.

If all goes right, you will have this file as archos.mod in the root level of your player - not in any directory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back