It's Like UNIVERSAL IEM Deja vu!!! Journey into universal IEMs when I thought I was done...
Nov 25, 2011 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 155

ericp10

Sits up all night comparing IEMs.
So what is wrong with me? After I fell in love with the 1964-Q custom quad by 1964 EARS I vowed to find ONE good universal for back and forth travel and never look back at the universal IEM world again. My next move - I told myself - was to find the next logical step in the custom IEM world (whether it be the next 1964 EARS product or a couple of products that piqued my interest from Westone and UM). By the way, yes, the Quad is still my favorite IEM.

Well that was almost a year ago, and I surely sold a bunch of my universals (mostly top tiers) as I had planned. Most of the IEMs you see in my signature (more toward the right and those that have disappeared due to lack of space down there) are long gone. Two IEMs that I really like I still have in my possession and I'm trying to sell (although I admit I don't try to push hard for the sell. If they go, cool, if they stay, I still like them). But now, here I am with:

- the JVC FXT90
- the Vsonic GR07
- the Sony EX7550
- the Sony EX600
- the Westone W4

And to add insult to injury, I just repurchased an IEM I never cared that much for>>> The UE TF10....lol (and shaking my head profusely!!!). WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!!!!!!???

Well, I guess I can answer this question for myself partially. I've discovered fairly quickly - after diving head first into this hobby about three years ago -  that I dig various sound signatures just as much as I demand superior sound quality and technical proficiency in an in-ear monitor. So, despite there being some sound signatures I absolutely can't stand (the DBA-02 being one of them), just about every IEM I've listed here (I will deal with my repurchase of the TF10 in just a moment) pleases the sonic landscapes between my ears. It's almost like they satisfy the various moods I might be in on any given day. I'm not in any mindset to give up any one of those five because of the pleasure and joy those bring to me (well?? Hmmm?? Actually I wouldn't mind finding a happy home for the EX600).

So, now, this brings me back to my repurchase of the TF10 (and the main reason for this post as I am seeking some support from the community so that I want feel totally nuts...lol). Most of you who have seen my posts over the years know that I've stated some pretty negative things about the TF10.  And I meant those the things I've stated about the TF10 (and still mean them, right now anyway). But I admit to caving into peer pressure in getting me to want to try the TF10 again. Well, perhaps peer pressure isn't the right term as no one has ever really tried to pressure me in changing my mind about the TF10 - like they have tried to do with the DBA-02, but that's not happening...lol.

It was simply that the TF10 kept so many fans (kind of like the the W4 has despite a few naysayers). Then I had to think to myself: "Was there anything you liked about the TF10?" And yes there was. I liked the bass and the treble quite a bit. My disdain for it was mainly the recessed mids. But I also found that the mids stepped up some with amplification, but by the time I got my first portable amp of any kind I had already committed to selling my TF10 to a buyer who rushed me the money for the price it went for. It wasn't hard to say bye bye, but I always had it in the back of my mind that perhaps I could have liked these IEMs more.

So the other part of this: I freely admit that the one-day $95 deal for the TF10 that comes around once a year reeled me in. I figured it's worth $100 to try these $400 IEMs again. The worst that could happen is that I still don't like them much and they will be fairly easy to sell (or give away to a friend if I'm feeling very charitable).  So hear I am scratching my head regarding how did I get suck back into the vortex that is known as "UNIVERSAL IEMs"????? 
confused.gif

Is it just me? Am I alone with this obsession? Is there any hope for the weary? I already know I'm going to buy that Vsonic BA/dynamic hybrid when it comes out. I may venture into their BA dual-driver (although I think I can avoid it). If the FX700's mids are ever improved I'm in trouble (although I'm very content with the FXT90 right now). 

Yes, this post is kind of like a venting post while I try to make heads or tails out of the madness in this expensive hobby. I'm so glad I'm not addicted to drugs if sound can be this alluring. Feel free - if anyone cares - to vent with me... Or laugh at me. I might deserve a little bit of that too. Hell, how about a few tears shed for the sound-weary? 
happy_face1.gif
beerchug.gif
  Happy listening!!

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 155
Here is your next probable and possible purchase (including me). Two BA's and one dynamic and a universal config.......

I'm in iem rehab but I'm still tempted to buy more iems
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 155

Quote:
Here is your next probable and possible purchase (including me). Two BA's and one dynamic and a universal config.......

I'm in iem rehab but I'm still tempted to buy more iems
ksc75smile.gif

I'm really going to try to resist that one @ Rip N' Burn, although it looks interesting. I think I want to wait for the VSonic one (early next year I think is when it comes out). I did, however, order the E10 usb DAC/amp. I can't wait to see how that works with the TF10 (and also combine the DAC with my E9 desk amp)... Those look quite nice though... STOP TEMPTING ME!!! Geez!!! lol

WAIT!!  I thought those were $99.00. Those are $999.00...Oh, this one is easy then @ Rip N' Burn... Now way am I'm going to spend nearly $1,000 on universals. It just want happen in my lifetime... So that took care of that....lol... Phewww!! Dodged one!

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 155

Quote:
I'm really going to try to resist that one @ Rip N' Burn, although it looks interesting. I think I want to wait for the VSonic one (early next year I think is when it comes out). I did, however, order the E10 usb DAC/amp. I can't wait to see how that works with the TF10 (and also combine the DAC with my E9 desk amp)... Those look quite nice though... STOP TEMPTING ME!!! Geez!!! lol

I see a sucker is born every day..........couldn't resist the TF10 eh eric.......well now all this talk has me hooked...what a sucker I am....GR07, RE272, FXT90....ya.....I bought the TF10 as well eric.   On top of that I got the new Brainwavz M4....and they are fighting for earspace with my FXT90.....I really like the M4 and they are fast gaining ground with the FXT90 sound.  Had the Brainwavz B2 twice and sent them back both times.....couldn't stand the upper end....the M4 has some thumpin low end similar to the FXT90, but the M4 has more sparkle on the treble....lovin it.

The TF10 will be in my hands Monday....already ordered an upgrade cable from China!   Oh my, too many earphones, not enough ears.....addiction.....we need to find a place to compare notes on the TF10, can't wait.

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 155

Welcome to the club @ cute. I was beginning to look lonely from here, but I'm glad to see I'm not alone...lol. How much did the upgrade cable hit you for (you can inbox me if you would like)? Does it suppose to push the mids forward (my biggest gripe with the TF10)? I do remember thinking that the TF10 was quite nice with non-vocals jazz though...
Quote:
I see a sucker is born every day..........couldn't resist the TF10 eh eric.......well now all this talk has me hooked...what a sucker I am....GR07, RE272, FXT90....ya.....I bought the TF10 as well eric.   On top of that I got the new Brainwavz M4....and they are fighting for earspace with my FXT90.....I really like the M4 and they are fast gaining ground with the FXT90 sound.  Had the Brainwavz B2 twice and sent them back both times.....couldn't stand the upper end....the M4 has some thumpin low end similar to the FXT90, but the M4 has more sparkle on the treble....lovin it.

The TF10 will be in my hands Monday....already ordered an upgrade cable from China!   Oh my, too many earphones, not enough ears.....addiction.....we need to find a place to compare notes on the TF10, can't wait.

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 155

Quote:
Welcome to the club @ cute. I was beginning to look lonely from here, but I'm glad to see I'm not alone...lol. How much did the upgrade cable hit you for (you can inbox me if you would like)? Does it suppose to push the mids forward (my biggest gripe with the TF10)? I do remember thinking that the TF10 was quite nice with non-vocals jazz though...

I see you have a DIY silver cable in your profile, is that a earphone cable?  If so, how does it affect the sound?

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 155
Quote:
Is it just me? Am I alone with this obsession? Is there any hope for the weary?

Hi, I'm Rehan. Nice to meet you. There's a term for people like us, my friend:

tongue.gif
 Seriously though, you definitely aren't alone eric, and for me personally, the fact that no 2 in-ears I've ever owned sound exactly alike is where my curiosity gets the best of me every single time. 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 155
So basically, you bought headphones you don't even like, because they were heavily discounted. You need to go to rehab, my friend! But hey, admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery.
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 155

Quote:
So basically, you bought headphones you don't even like, because they were heavily discounted. You need to go to rehab, my friend! But hey, admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery.
tongue.gif

deadhorse.gif
 but true.....Well I'm going to give them a 2nd chance.....but true

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 155

Quote:
I see you have a DIY silver cable in your profile, is that a earphone cable?  If so, how does it affect the sound?

You know what ...I use that for the Quad, but it was really connectors for the UE, which I didn't have at the time.. I need to send that DIY back to its creator but haven't yet..It has a short in one of the cables...But the sound was wonderful when it was working... It really enhanced the bass and the mids.

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 155

Nice to meet you too 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Hi, I'm Rehan. Nice to meet you. There's a term for people like us, my friend:

tongue.gif
 Seriously though, you definitely aren't alone eric, and for me personally, the fact that no 2 in-ears I've ever owned sound exactly alike is where my curiosity gets the best of me every single time. 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #13 of 155
Hey Eric I too took the plunge again and mine too will arrive on Monday.  I have been thinking about getting them re shelled by UM and adding the the mid range driver.  I am wondering how those would sound compared to the quad, price wise I am sure that it will be cheaper plus have the better um build.  Any thoughts?

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #14 of 155

Quote:
Hey Eric I too took the plunge again and mine too will arrive on Monday.  I have been thinking about getting them re shelled by UM and adding the the mid range driver.  I am wondering how those would sound compared to the quad, price wise I am sure that it will be cheaper plus have the better um build.  Any thoughts?

would htat be better or just eq the mid up a little?

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #15 of 155
Let me get this out of the way: I love universals.

It's been three years (probably pretty close to the day) since my entry into universals. I've tried to get out many times. I love it and hate it.

I've tried UM3X, ER6i, GR07, GR10, EX600, EX1000, HF5 once but here is the kicker the Triple.fis 3x's, W2 3x's, SE535 3x's, W4 2x's, IE8 2x's, ER4P 2x's, IE7 2x's. Now that is where the weird hits! Buying the same iem multiple times, hoping that whatever you didn't like the first time, the straw that eventually broke the camel's back, was somehow different the second or even third time! Until recently I've mostly only bought companies w/ two year warranties so that explains a bit of the pinballing. But ultimately almost all have been turned because the sound signature was missing something...a little too much of this, a little too much of that.

I am getting tired though. I was really hoping the GR10 would do it for me, but now I'm not so sure... And sadly, because they just fit too well; they're tough for my fingers to get out of my weirdly shaped ears! Maybe the X10...Nahh...not a chance really.

I'm glad that headfi has a healthy resale market or I'd be out of a ton of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back