iTouch - Initial Impressions
Oct 24, 2007 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

GAD

Headphoneus Supremus
I love iPods. I'll admit it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have; 3rd 30G gen iPod, 2nd gen 8G Nano, 5.5 gen 80G iPod and now the 16G iTouch.

These are my initial impressions, and my further impressions may change with use.

The UI is simply fantastic. I'm a huge believer in good UI, and I rarely find one that I like. This thing is a work of art. It just makes sense. That being said, I'm annoyed by two things.

1) I can't seem to change the volume except when in certain screens.
2) When viewing movies, I can't change the brightness unless I exit the movie and go to settings.

Sound quality out of the headphone jack is not very impressive to my ears. As soon as I connected in my ER4Ps I was disappointed with the sound quality. It just sounds weak or even a little tinny to me. I will be using this iPod mostly for video, so that's not a huge concern for me, and when I do listen to music, it will be through an amp 90% of the time. Still, the SQ is dissapointing to me from the headphone jack.

The entire thing is a fingerprint magnet, which is annoying while watching video in any sort of real light. In a dark room it's a non-issue.

I love the design of it, and I really like the UI. The wireless is a fun plus, but not a real requirement for me. Still, given the choice between using this and using my HTC phone to surf, I'd pick this every time.

If I could add one thing to it, it would be a real volume knob, or at least some way to adjust the volume on every screen.

GAD

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 45
i have found all of what you said to be true except for the sound. perhaps ipod and er4s do not mate well.. i have never heard them together except for an ipod shuffle.

it is great and detailed and not too warm or cold with my atrio m5, a big step up from my d2.

Oct 24, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 45
Ditto, I agree it's a fantastic unit, I must say I think through the headphone out with my shures I think it's porbably the best I have heard. The new nano comes real close, but after more extended listening the touch seems to have a tiny bit more detail and space. Maybe like shigzeo said, a bad synergy with the er4's ? Anyways glad you like it!

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 45
"1) I can't seem to change the volume except when in certain screens."

Tap the button on the front of the touch twice to bring up a volume control from any screen according to the instructions. Sometimes this works for me and sometimes it doesn't.

I love my Touch. It's a beautiful and brilliant device. Holding it in your hand is a real pleasure. The sound is at least as good as my 5.5g video. With calendar, contacts, and Safari, it's a great pda. All we need is a TextEdit and calendar entry.

I'm looking forward to seeing where Apple will take this, both for software upgrades/add-ons and for the next generation of the hardware.

Mooch

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 45
GAD,
I also disagree with your findings regarding both the ITouches headphone out and line out. I also think it is one of the best sounding IPods that Apple has produced to date. Of course this is just my opinion and you have as much a right to yours
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 45
How long have you been playing it for? Let it play for 48 hours straight without listening to it and listen again and tell us what you think.

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tap the button on the front of the touch twice to bring up a volume control from any screen according to the instructions. Sometimes this works for me and sometimes it doesn't.

Awesome! Works for me so far - thanks for keeping me from reading the docs.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll try and compare the sound again after a couple of full day listening sessions to let it settle. I will say that it seemed to have a better sound stage, but I didn't like the sound compared with others I've owned. Here's hoping it changes.

GAD

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 45
Thats weird! I just got an iPhone and it sounds really good! I wasnt expecting for it to sound this good, but it did. I am now using it instead of my nano+tomahawk rig! its that good from the headphone!

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 45
I think the sound is on par with my old 5G.

There are a few quirks with the UI (no volume in CoverFlow and adjusting volume when "locked" requires too many steps - why isn't there a switch like the iPhone?), but otherwise I'm very happy with the Touch. Took about two days to get addicted. Like have a Wi-Fi device with me at all times now.

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the word on the lineout? Isn't there the Apple chip required to operate the lineout?

pretty sure that was only with video-out, but i could be wrong.

edit
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...60#post3279660
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am happy to report no, the touch's line out works just like a normal ipod
600smile.gif

Sounds very nice as well, I was amazed by how thin it is.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back