Issue with 88/176 kHz playback on UAPP with LG V60
Jul 3, 2022 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Bret Halford

500+ Head-Fier
Recently I picked up a pair of quite sensitive IEMs that (unfortunately for my LGV60) have an impedance of 66 ohms. I generally listen to music through UAPP for direct control of the integrated quad DAC and support for HD sampling in Qobuz - very happy with it generally. However, I note on the new IEMs, when I listen to high dynamic range tracks that are either 88 or 176 kHz sampled, the quieter segments are notably compressed, it sounds a bit like noise suppression: as though I can hear a low end threshold or discretization where the quiet parts just shut off entirely rather than transition to silence. The net effect is an audible 'warbling' on the edges of quieter segments of audio, very much like low sample rate audio (think bad YouTube audio).

It doesn't happen for any other sample rates I've tried. The same tracks play fine in the Qobuz app proper, but of course there it is not played in 88 or 176 k, but rather whatever Android is forcing (think it's 96k on LG these days, but don't quote me). Similarly, if I use UAPP to interface to my RME ADI-2 it plays back fine.

At first I thought this was amplifier over-saturation from high gain mode on the quad DAC, but then why would it only happen for 88/176? I know Chrome OS doesn't support 88/176 at all (but handles everything else up to 192 like a champ) maybe Android has some specific hangups here, even for UAPP?

Has anyone else had issues with these sample rates on Android in UAPP or generally?
Does anybody know any tricks to force the LG Quad DAC into low gain mode? I used to plug in an adapter first so it senced open circuit to force high gain, but I can't think of a safe alternative for setting it low...
Any other ideas?

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated, feeling like I'm going a bit crazy on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back