Isolation of low frequencies
Sep 5, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my UM1 under Peltor 30dB ear muffs when I want to block loud noise like power tools. It works very well. It might not work as well as the Bose, but it's a lot cheaper and probably good enough. I happen to own the UM1, but any IEM will work. You probably something with foam tips. The rubber tips used in the CX300 and Super.fi don't isolate all that well.

Graphs, schmafs... You certainly don't have to pay any heed to my advice, so, no worries...

I can guarantee you if there's enough airborne energy, the Peltors will not work, where active noise cancellation will. Maybe your environment isn't that bad.

Try sitting next to a four blade turboprop on takeoff (inside the fuselage). Nothing works as well as active noise cancellation.

Sep 6, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #18 of 18
Yes we have those mats but they're not everywhere. Granted, Peltor + E-A-R classic might not be very effective when standing next to a turboprop, but that combination is more than satisfactory where I work. Even just one of them works fine, though if using just one of them I prefer the foam plugs.

So the starting point is that with just the Peltors I have adequate isolation. Then I want to choose an IEM to use under the Peltors, that doesn't make it worse. CX300 made it worse.

Since the headroom graphs agree with my own experiences with CX300 I guess their artificial head is similar to my head, and have narrowed down the possible options to Shure E4C, SE210, SE310 and UE super.fi 3... I guess super.fi is out if they don't come with foam tips.

SE310 looks by the images bigger than E4C, though it's hard to tell...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back