ISO: New headphones/headset ~$50.
Dec 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lilVaratep

Head-Fier
My $5 headset from ross just blew out on one ear after 5 months of use D=. Searching for some nice quality headset or headphones (since everyone recommends headphones + separate mic).

Was interested in getting the earforce x12, siberia v2, or sennheiser 201 + a mic (maybe zalman). I heard that the zalman mic is terrible because it sits under your chin.

Generally looking for something for the games: skype/ts3/voip, starcraft 2, diablo 3, league of legends, fps games w/ footsteps, skyrim, hitman absolution, etc etc I could name more. Pretty much any recent game and upcoming games.

main Music while gaming/not gaming: vocal chillout, some trance, some house, some rock (black veil brides, escape the fate, a day to remember), korean rock/indie (nell).

Looking for something around the price range of $50 but will go a little higher if it's a big upgrade. I'm wanting some nice quality sound and I don't care TOO much for bass, but that would be a good bonus to have.

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 9
http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-780-Surround-Headset/dp/B006ZS5ATM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1LCFS74UV70C3&coliid=I5O5C8L2ODTD4

or

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-5H-Gaming-Headset-Black/dp/B000V07NIG/ref=zg_bs_402053011_23

or

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-GHS1BLK-Over-Ear-Computer-Headphone/dp/B004O2JAX8/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1354671363&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=AKG+GHS1

Gamecom has a solid lineup and is good for the price, steelseries has my favorite kind of microphone & is still sealing. The GHS1 are stereo but are like normal headphones with that famous AKG sound <3 + a fixed mic (which is meh) but is the smallest of them (On-ear)

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 9
also, forgot to mention that I have a loud asian family and would love something that blocks outside sound, not sure what that's called. and I want headphones that go AROUND the ear - previous headset i was using goes on the ears and damn are my ears sore after 8 hours LOL!

not sure if that cancels out some of your recommendations.

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
also, forgot to mention that I have a loud asian family and would love something that blocks outside sound, not sure what that's called. and I want headphones that go AROUND the ear - previous headset i was using goes on the ears and damn are my ears sore after 8 hours LOL!

Full size closed-back. Your gonna want the 780 then lol you will be yelling louder back at them then they could at you (Has chinese bf so knows those kinds of families)

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 9
okay thanks for the recommendation - will definitely check out the gamecom. any recommendations on where to get them from? (i live in california). amazon has ripped me off on my mechanical keyboard before D=. and thai families are worse... its like they yell when they whisper. as far as the outside noise disabling goes, the gamecom 780 is best for my budget for blocking out all outside sounds?

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Well...amazon has different sellers so would be seller that ripped off. Uh...newegg has a CA warehouse with the 780 but its still $80 there, the $57 780 from amazons warehouse itself should be fine (I order there alot thanks to student prime, no issues!) 780 is good at sealing because of the cushion material used, downside is after too many hours it can make your head feel hot but that was on the older models which were a bit more bulky. Its passive NC in my opinion with that kind of cushioning + frame, once you get audio playing or a game... reality goes baibai, without anything going things will be severely muted. The yelling will become  talking, talking, whispering :p

blink.gif
now I need to meet a thai person to experience that.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 9
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24S2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354673150&sr=1-1&keywords=Sony+MDR-XB500

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #9 of 9
What about the Gamecom 780 being USB? I heard that 3.5mm is way better for audio quality than USB.

I have:

Audio ports (Rear) 6+Coaxial / Optical SPDIF
 Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC898
- Flexible 8-channel audio with jack sensing
- Compliant with Azalia 1.0 Spec 

Not sure if this changes whether or not I should be choosing 3.5mm over usb, or usb over 3.5mm. If I would be better off going 3.5mm or something better, could someone please give me recommendations of requirements that I previously posted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back