ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jan 29, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #4,831 of 5,078
IMG_2556.jpeg

Yep they look just like candy. Keep them away from kids. 200% would eat.

Design is not always Penon’s forte but they did a good job with this one. They look better in real life. Very comfy too. I love being able to see their insides so clearly like this.

IMG_2558.jpeg

They’ll have to go on the burner but couldn’t resist taking them for a spin on the WM1Z first. First impression is of big warm smoooth engaging enveloping midcentric goodness. Put them through a range of vocals and they did. not. miss. a. beat.

Treble and bass clearly in supporting roles. Mid bass over sub bass. And clean, articulate treble from the planar without resorting to sheer quantity. I’m going to reserve comment on how it all comes together until they settle in more.

Stock cable lasted all of 2 minutes before I swopped it out for the Asos. Preferred tips so far are the Liqueur black. Both help sculpt the bass and the Asos brings noticeably better clarity to the table as well.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #4,832 of 5,078
You guys that just got them. I would give them a good drum n bass workout before you do any type of assessing. I know they sound damn good on open listen but you better believe they get better.
I burnt mine in for about 100 hours

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #4,833 of 5,078
Glad to hear more about the Neo 3!
Do you feel that you need that extra Xbass-setting? Or is the bass sufficient in itself?
I don't feel that it needs the extra Xbass-setting but what ends up happening with it on is an interesting therapeutic effect with the bass rumbling in such a way that it physically feels good.

Different source/chains will likely provide difference results. Like for example, my EF400 that I'm listening to now absolutely does not need Xbass and I'm almost certain that it would not sound good on the EF400 boosted any further.

I tried a Tempotec V6 and it does not have the same rumble and presence like the other 2, bass is not absent but just a lot more controlled. It's not really a con as it does not really detract from the experience, you can really critically focus on the mids and highs. Especially if the ear massage gets too distracting lol. I definitely think if you wanted to boost it with the V6 you could but I like the way the V6 presents this IEM as well, so I have not done anything more with it. It's also possible that I might have some kind of EQ setting enabled on my V6 but I have have just left things as is since I can't believe how good the V6 sounds with my IEMs compared to a lot of my more robust desktop setups.

I think it's entirely possible to get different results here but with any of these things, there will be adjustment and exploration needed to tailor fit your own needs but what can be said is the drivers are certainly capable.

Your excitement is so infectious man.. Hoping it won't be long until this one arrives my door... 🤞🤞
There is no doubt the Neo 3 should deliver a smile and can't wait for you to try it!

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #4,834 of 5,078

Yep they look just like candy. Keep them away from kids. 200% would eat.

Design is not always Penon’s forte but they did a good job with this one. They look better in real life. Very comfy too. I love being able to see their insides so clearly like this.

They’ll have to go on the burner but couldn’t resist taking them for a spin on the WM1Z first. First impression is of big warm smoooth engaging enveloping midcentric goodness. Put them through a range of vocals and they did. not. miss. a. beat.

Treble and bass clearly in supporting roles. Mid bass over sub bass. And clean, articulate treble from the planar without resorting to sheer quantity. I’m going to reserve comment on how it all comes together until they settle in more.

Stock cable lasted all of 2 minutes before I swopped it out for the Asos. Preferred tips so far are the Liqueur black. Both help sculpt the bass and the Asos brings noticeably better clarity to the table as well.
1706562180075.png

ASOS indeed!

Ya I am not a fan of the stock cable that came with the NEO3. Its not bad for a throw in but.. These deserve so much better.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #4,835 of 5,078
greetings, could I get a solid recommendation for a great iem up to 600 usd that will work with all genres and has a musical rich sound and not peaky in treble, I wonder if any of the new planars could fit the bill

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #4,836 of 5,078
You can spend $200 on the new NEO3 and spend $400 on a cable and call it good :ksc75smile:

Joking aside if you want to dab in the ISN waters. You can go stright to the top and get the EST50 or as crazy as it might sound but NEO3 is a unique 2 dynamic +1planar that just got released is easily just as enjoyable. Very immersive sound the new NEO3.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #4,837 of 5,078
I am a weak man. My finger is controlled by an etheric entity who works in the IEMSphere. I think a Penon/ISN secret agent. It has no concerns about our finances at all. I wear a cross to protect me from this being/thing......it is impossible to stop it. It made me press the button (with VIP price) on the ISN Neo 3. Arghhhh. 🙂

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #4,839 of 5,078
greetings, could I get a solid recommendation for a great iem up to 600 usd that will work with all genres and has a musical rich sound and not peaky in treble, I wonder if any of the new planars could fit the bill

The Neo 3 does fit the description but have you considered the Quattro which is a step further in this direction? Perhaps not everyone’s cup of tea, but there are plenty of impressions over at the Penon thread by now so it’s a matter of finding a reviewer or owner whose tastes jive with yours. And it’d still leave you with money for a nice cable.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #4,841 of 5,078
I just brought Neo 5 last month. Now I am wandering how's the sound of Neo 3 compared with Neo 5.
The Neo 5 is crisper and cleaner, with a bigger bass and richer detail. The Neo 3 has more mids/vocal emphasis, though still plenty of bass and details.

Both are very good, and the Neo 3 really is not far behind the Neo 5. Possibly even ahead if you don’t want the Neo 5’s bass focus.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #4,842 of 5,078
Jan 31, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #4,843 of 5,078
The Neo 5 is crisper and cleaner, with a bigger bass and richer detail. The Neo 3 has more mids/vocal emphasis, though still plenty of bass and details.

Both are very good, and the Neo 3 really is not far behind the Neo 5. Possibly even ahead if you don’t want the Neo 5’s bass focus.
Sounds good. Make me want to buy one.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #4,844 of 5,078
Feb 2, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #4,845 of 5,078
You can spend $200 on the new NEO3 and spend $400 on a cable and call it good :ksc75smile:l
Honestly this is not a joke. The NEO 3 can support a $300 cable. It has a very high performance ceiling. I'm using mine with an EA Ares x Cadmus and it's a beautiful pairing. I would not hesitate to recommend the NEO 3 with this cable, and for less than 600 you get an extremely high performing set. I own (and have owned/sold) other higher priced gear and I will admit that this pairing is right up near the top. An excellent offering from ISN.

BTW I'm using Clarion TRI tips, which suit this IEM very well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back