Is this worth the upgrade? Will I hear a difference?
Oct 16, 2009 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

andrewho83

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using the Porta Corda II and they can drive the HD650's loud enough, and it certainly sounds AMAZING. I'm just wondering, if I buy a Little Dot series amplifier, will the change be day and night? Will the sound be alot different than it is? Thanks!

Andrew

Oct 16, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 10
$199 USD desktop amp will beat portable amp with ease. No doubt, that's why I sold my SR-71 stick with $199 HCT/fatman for 2 years untill I got WA22.

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of getting the Audio gd c2c amplifier. Would this be too overkill for the HD650s? Is there another amp that works just as well with the HD650s.

I know this is probably another obvious question, but would it be stupid to be just using these headphones with high bitrate mp3's?

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 10
The Audio GD C-2C gets a lot of love here so whether you want to acknowledge that is up to you but I think it's safe to say that it's a good amp for the price. I don't think you can really have an overkill amp, although diminishing returns is a factor.

Your source is? Maybe you would like to start there before upgrading your amp?

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewho83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of getting the Audio gd c2c amplifier. Would this be too overkill for the HD650s? Is there another amp that works just as well with the HD650s.

I know this is probably another obvious question, but would it be stupid to be just using these headphones with high bitrate mp3's?

There is no such thing as an overkill amp for the HD650. the better the amp, the better your HD650 will sound.

And yes, no problem with 320 kbps mp3s either, a good amp and HD650 can still make beautiful music out of an mp3 source.
Of course CDs are better though.

Oct 18, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the reassurance. I think I'll go look around for local deals but if not, I might splurge on the c2c. My source right now is just an onboard HD audio (realtek, I believe). The sound coming out of it sounds amazing though, I don't know how much more of an improvement I can get from the source. I've heard the onboard is even better than the PCI high-end audio cards.

Oct 18, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewho83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reassurance. I think I'll go look around for local deals but if not, I might splurge on the c2c. My source right now is just an onboard HD audio (realtek, I believe). The sound coming out of it sounds amazing though, I don't know how much more of an improvement I can get from the source. I've heard the onboard is even better than the PCI high-end audio cards.

Trust me, you will get a MAJOR improvement even if you buy a 20$ soundblaster audigy SE. Onboard audio sucks period.

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no such thing as an overkill amp for the HD650. the better the amp, the better your HD650 will sound.

And yes, no problem with 320 kbps mp3s either, a good amp and HD650 can still make beautiful music out of an mp3 source.
Of course CDs are better though.

true, every time I have upgrade in my setup, always make HD650 better. I can't see the end. Even I changed power cord, the difference is very noticeble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back