Is This True About Custom Fit Earphones and Ear Impressions?
Mar 16, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #17 of 25
Well today I went to get ear impressions made for my custom Atrio. I paid $50 for both ears in NYC. A fair price.

The first thing the audiologist did was look inside my ears and he told me you used Q-Tips didn't you. I said Yes. He said you irritated your ear canal. Don't use Q-Tips. The ears clean themselves naturally. Well i learned something new today.

I told him these are my first customs ever and he said you're really going to love these. He asked me if I am a musician or if it's for pleasure? I said pleasure.

The first thing he did was stuff some cotton all the way into my ears. He said it keeps the silicone from going all the way in the ear canal. Then he syringed silicone into my ears. He filled out his part of the Future Sonic application while my silicone in my ears were hardening. He used a bite lock on my front teeth to keep my mouth open about an inch while the silicone was hardening and he had a tissue there. He said use it if you drool.

The process took about 12 minutes.
I also asked him do you think i'm going to need a refit. He said 99% of the time everything comes out fine and the molds he took look really good.
I went into the waiting area while he packaged them and put them in a box.

I paid the $50 at the front desk and the receptionist gave me a receipt.

I called Future Sonics and the nice lady that answered my 1,001 questions this week told me how to package and ship the ear impressions. She said from the time she receives them it should take a week to get the SofterWear Sleeves to me the next day by UPS. She told me i'm really excited for you since these are your first customs.

Everything went okay. I hope to put up a thread when I get the SofterWear Sleeves with pics and what I think of them since not many people on this forum seem to have them.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #18 of 25
i had the same talk. The audiologist was like, never put anything in your ears and now you have to get your ears professionally cleaned so a clean mould can be taken of your canals. So I had to go to a special clinic where they do this special 10 min suction cleaning rather than the olive oil and syringe stuff that normally occurs.

Came out of that place feeling cold air further down my ears than ever before, really odd sensation, not as odd as seeing over 20 years of wax coming out in on a TV monitor hooked up to the suction tool that was in my ears. She said it was average for someone who's never had their ears cleaned considering it was a lifetime of wax built up.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #19 of 25
It does definitely discolour though after long term use. But in spite of this I would still prefer silicone to acrylic.

Not that it affects your preference, but I found this article regarding soft / hard mold and it is quite interest. Certainly doesn't confirm to the more commonly held belief that soft mold must be better. There are other factors to consider as well.

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #20 of 25

Quote:
Quote:
It does definitely discolour though after long term use. But in spite of this I would still prefer silicone to acrylic.

Not that it affects your preference, but I found this article regarding soft / hard mold and it is quite interest. Certainly doesn't confirm to the more commonly held belief that soft mold must be better. There are other factors to consider as well.

Thank You ClieOS. That was an interesting read.

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #21 of 25

Quote:

SUMMARY

All earmold materials, both hard and soft, have the same potential for sealing the ear adequately and preventing acoustic feedback, providing that an anatomically accurate ear impression is taken and the earmold is competently manufactured. Similarly, earmold comfort and ease of insertion depend more on the impression processing than on the actual softness of the earmold material.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #22 of 25
I didn't explain the reason for my preference. Not based on any elitist opinions on SQ. Purely a comfort issue, I can wear the silicone tips, and happily eat, yawn, move my jaw, lie down on my side in bed with them in etc.

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #23 of 25
It's important to realize that The Hearing Journal article is specifically about hearing aids, not IEMs. I do totally agree that good impressions and accurate manufacturing are of paramount importance. There's some good information there (such as shrinkage factors of various materials), but context is important.

Quote:
One purpose of this study is to review research results that pertain to the issue of whether or not soft materials are superior to hard materials in manufacturing long-lasting hearing aid earmolds derived from ear impressions.

Thus all the references to acoustic feedback, which is a huge problem for hearing aid users. So, a grain a salt, eh?

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #24 of 25
Just to comment. I have some Sensaphonics custom sleeves for some Shure SE530s. I think they are now about 4 years old. They are still in perfect shape material wise. They did discolor and look slightly brown/amber(I keep them clean so I dont think its earwax/dirt). I have to agree with the summary of the hearing aid article though and say that a competent mold and fit far outweighs the material the IEM is made of. I can say this with personal experience now that I also have some JH16 Pros that use the hard acrylic. I notice no difference in fit or comfort between the two materials(once a good fit was attained). 

I recently added about 50 lbs of weight (nothing fit anymore not rings not shoes nothing) and then lost most of that weight. My Sensaphonics still fit just like the day I bought them and did so even when I was heavier. I think it would require some MAJOR weight gain to really affect the fit. It might be a bit different on the harder materials( I got my hard acrylics after I lost the weight back).

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #25 of 25
how is it going to the 16s, I'm debating the same move and possibly the westone es5.

I intend to use them whilst on the move, or perhaps lying down etc. Does jaw movement increase discomfort vs. your old silicones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back