Is there a way to transfer data from 1 PC to another?
Aug 31, 2003 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

raymondlin

Architect &Musical Fidelity X-Man v2
Crossover cable at $15 ? where do you shop? Harrods ?

I got mine from Uni computer shop for £1.50 /$2.00, does the same thing.
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2003 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by OriginalReaper
Is there anything else I need to do other than set the drive to slave? Should I put the power supply at higher voltage? Anything at all?

Nope - just power down, set the drive with your mp3s to slave, and plug it in to an extra IDE opening. (IDE generally has up to two drives per cable (master/slave), and at least two cables per motherboard.) Power up, go into BIOS to make sure it recognized it, exit, then drag and drop in Windows.

chillysalsa, I agree - network connections are more inconvenient and inconsistent. Reaper, to do it that way, you'd need both computers plugged in and on, two network cards, a crossover cable, then tinker with settings. Though if you can manage a 100mbps connection, you'd get speeds up to 1gig/80sec... fifteen gigs would take a minimum of 20 minutes. I can almost guarantee you, an IDE transfer would be faster than that once you set it up.

Sep 1, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
crossover cables are like 15 bucks

Dang, where do you buy cables? You can get a crossover cable for a couple bucks prettily easily.

OriginalReaper, are you using a Windows PC (I ask because you never stated and everyone is assuming.) It's too bad Windows doesn't support FireWire disk mode.

Sep 1, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Dang, where do you buy cables? You can get a crossover cable for a couple bucks prettily easily.

OriginalReaper, are you using a Windows PC (I ask because you never stated and everyone is assuming.) It's too bad Windows doesn't support FireWire disk mode.

Eh, what do you mean by that? My ipod is recognized as a harddrive in windows.
confused.gif

Sep 1, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Eh, what do you mean by that? My ipod is recognized as a harddrive in windows.
confused.gif

Not FireWire hard drives; FireWire disk mode. If you take two Macs with FireWire ports, you can simply hook them up via a FireWire cable and one can act as a hard drive for the other. It's the best way to transfer large amounts of data on any platform I've found -- it's an IT godsend! (Actually, you can even use a Mac as a FireWire hard drive on a Windows PC that has a FireWire port
wink.gif
)

Sep 1, 2003 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 18
We've done some IP-over-FireWire here on some OS X machines. It's definitely *fast*
biggrin.gif
but a bit limited since it only works with the latest versions of OS X and WinXP.

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 18
Ok, I'm planning on getting a PC. The thing is that I have more or less 15GB of EAC/LAMEd MP3s that I want to transfer to another PC. What do I need to do this? I have crossover cable. Also, how long would this take? I'm guessing an hour or two, but I don't know.

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 18
Might be a good time to back them up to CD's.
tongue.gif

What you're asking is how difficult is it to set up a network right? Which OS's are you using? How do you connect to the internet (bridge, router, etc.)?

May 4, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 18
actually, the easiest (and by far the fastest) way is to connect the HDD that ha s the music on it as the slave on the system that you want them on, but the operating system on the receiving end has to be able to read the partition on the music drive...i.e. if you have XP you're fine, this will transfer files so much faster it's not even funny, and it's easier to set up than a network.

May 15, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 18
I say use the crossover cable. Basically, connect the 2 computers with the cable. Set their ips to 192.168.1.1 and .2. Subnet 255.255.255.0. It really shouldn't take too long, especially since you'll be at 100 megabits per second. Honestly, the time that it'll take to swap out a hard drive, swap it back in and the trouble that it might cause isn't worth it.

May 22, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Honestly, the time that it'll take to swap out a hard drive, swap it back in and the trouble that it might cause isn't worth it.

I've noticed that 98 and XP don't really like to network much, and crossover cables are like 15 bucks, why not just swap the drives, it takes no time at all for me (at most is 5 minutes, and that includes removing it)

oh yeah, a crossover cable is a standard network cable with the leads on one side flipped -> ABCD-DCBA instead of ABCD-ABCD

May 29, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #14 of 18
Ah, yeah, the cost of a crossover cable has to be factored in(I assumed you had one). XP and 98 have been finicky network wise with me as well. Some times, they work perfectly. Other times you have to wrestle with it.

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #15 of 18
If you're asking this question - you're probably not the kinda guy to go poking around inside your system - and that's fine. If that's the case, you can connect the two systems very easily using your crossover cable IF both systems have a network card. Just plug one end into one system, and the other into the second system. As Andrzej said, configure their IPs to 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 both with subnet 255.255.255.0 (in the network control panel, there will be a listing of your network cards, click on the one in question and select TCP/IP settings - this is where you type the IP/subnet information in). Leave all other field blank in both cards.

Sharing via windows XP is insanely easy, just get properties on your drive and under the sharing tab simply click 'share this drive' (remember to disable this when you're done). From the old computer attempt to access \\192.168.0.1\<drivenamehere> (or 2, whichver IP the new computer has) and copy your files. Should take approximately 30 mins depending on the speed of your drives (assuming 100mbit capable network cards).

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back