Is there a "super 280"?
Jun 4, 2005 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Xplo

100+ Head-Fier
So I've got a 280 Pro and I'm quite fond of it, however sometimes I get the impression that it's struggling a little to present my music, so I'm curious whether there's a viable upgrade out there for me. Specifically, a replacement would need to be comfortable, with a closed design (for isolation) and fairly neutral tone. I don't have a price range in mind at this point, and I'd prefer to avoid canalphones (though I may have to have Headroom send me an ER-4 to try out.. just in case).

Alternately, since these headphones are already pretty decent, might I be better off getting an amp for them (I kinda have my eye on Xin's SuperMacro) and leaving the headphone upgrade to another day, or would the 280 not benefit significantly from a dedicated amp since it's already easy to drive?

Jun 4, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time
I've read the Beyerdynamic DT250 is a good step up from the HD280 Pro.

For me, the Beyer's have a much different sound signature than the 280's; I wouldn’t say that they’re an improvement. Personally, I feel that the 280's are the best in their league for what they do. Some favor the blu-tak mod, but the best way to get them performing at their best is with a good amp/source.

Jun 5, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 5
I did the 280 mod for more bass, then added a portaphile amp which worked well (I think).

Then I got the AT ATH-A900 and modded them with tack and cotton to cut down on the bass. Clearly better than the 280s and they did strike me as "not struggling" compared to the 280s. Like they could hit every tone easily - almost too easily.

Funny you should use that expression. That is what I thought, too. I don't know what I actually heard, but it sounded like struggling in the 280s by comparison to the A900s.

I still like the 280s. But I might sell them since I have the A900s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back