Is their any way to improve the iPod 4G SQ?
Nov 23, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 23
No. You could use an external amp to make it louder, or to boost the bass, but I have never heard one of those actually improve the SQ of an iPod anywhere close to a Cowon S9. I have used iPod amps that take the digital signal, line out signal, and the headphone out signal... and none of them seemed to compete with the BBE equalizer on my Cowon S9.

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 23
....i am unsure about getting a Cowon or a iTouch 4G..........and it's somehow eating me up....
confused.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 23
Ipod touch 4g should be fine

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
No. You could use an external amp to make it louder, or to boost the bass, but I have never heard one of those actually improve the SQ of an iPod anywhere close to a Cowon S9. I have used iPod amps that take the digital signal, line out signal, and the headphone out signal... and none of them seemed to compete with the BBE equalizer on my Cowon S9.

Wadia iTransport no match for your Cowon eh? LOL 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 23
I feel the equalizer is the problem with the iPods.
If it was a Touch or iPhone you could get the app "equalizer" (7 band parametric EQ app for 4g or 3gs or 3 band for 3g or 2g)

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
Hi,

Is their an way to improve the iPod 4G's sq to Cowon level or anyway near it?

Absolutely yes.

RedWine Audio's iMod is an huge upgrade in SQ from stock. 

The mod can be performed for cheap at home if you can solder.

I switched out the HDD in my 40gb 4G at the same time for a CF card and used the resulting space for a larger battery and the large output caps for the diyMod.

iPods are fairly simple to work on, and the older ones are quite roomy inside.

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Quote:
No. You could use an external amp to make it louder, or to boost the bass, but I have never heard one of those actually improve the SQ of an iPod anywhere close to a Cowon S9. I have used iPod amps that take the digital signal, line out signal, and the headphone out signal... and none of them seemed to compete with the BBE equalizer on my Cowon S9.

Wadia iTransport no match for your Cowon eh? LOL 
tongue_smile.gif

I don't know, I haven't listened to it. I was in fact referencing a prototype amp with a carbon fiber enclosure I listened to at CanJam 2010... If it adds an EQ on par with my S9 EQ, then sure, the Wadia may be, but I haven't heard a software or hardware EQ with up-sampling and sound-stage expansion that sounds as sweet as my S9 and its BBE settings. Maybe it's just purists not having EQ boards at CanJam, but from my limited listening experience, I really don't think it is possible to make a standalone 4g sound like a Cowon with any amount of hacking or tweaking.

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 23
Hiya,

Haven't posted in a very long while, but I wanted to pass along a potential solution for you that I just implemented and I'm loving it.  I'm a stickler for staying as portable as possible and for a long time only carried the Touch and my headphones with me.  Last month I was looking for a way to improve the SQ of my iPod Touch (Most recently the 4g) and I stumbled across these items;

Fiio E5 portable amp - It's been reviewed a ton on the boards, but for portability, it is king.  I really, really like it.

Sendstation PocketDock Line Out Mini USB Adapter - Not only a line out, but a Mini USB adapter so that it can charge via standard USB.

Both for under $50 USD, and extremely portable.  (and versatile)

Used with my Sennheiser IE6's (Soon to be IE8's), it's a pretty killer combination that (IMHO) improves the sound quality quite a bit.

I also tested this setup with my SE530's, TF10's and my Sennheiser MX980 earbuds.  All performed beautifully with this setup.

Just thought I'd provide a nice option for those looking for portability and true line out capability with an iPod Touch 4G.

Kraig

Nov 24, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #15 of 23
That's my current dilemma.  I like the Sennheiser signature, so I'm leaning towards the 8's, however, I've read the 7's aren't as boomy on the low end.  I'm no basshead, but I do like a clean, well established low end.  As for the Fiio, it does have a bass boost switch, which isn't half bad.  I don't use it though.  Where I think the setup shines is that you are getting a straight line out of the iPod, for which you will need an amp.  I should also state clearly that I don't use EQ at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back