Is the Sony MDR-E888 really that weak?
Feb 1, 2006 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

blazer78

500+ Head-Fier
I've read reviews and comments on this site of people having their cables broken and their drivers destroyed. That is pretty much putting me off these earphones.

However the comment that has pretty much disturbed me is someone having torn their e888 drivers by simply using a bass boost feature.

Can someone please confirm that the e888's aren't that bad? Because i almost always have my bass boost features on.

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 27
No, I don't think they're as fragile as some people have portrayed them to be. I used mine (before I lost them) on the go, threw them around and had them yanked multiple times, and yet they held up fine.

If you want to try them, then go for it. There's no earbud in the same price category that can touch them.

Feb 1, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 27
yea.. because i really need a good earphone right now, my Cresyn AXE-599 just sounds boring. =P

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer78
I've read reviews and comments on this site of people having their cables broken and their drivers destroyed. That is pretty much putting me off these earphones.

However the comment that has pretty much disturbed me is someone having torn their e888 drivers by simply using a bass boost feature.

Can someone please confirm that the e888's aren't that bad? Because i almost always have my bass boost features on.

No bass boost alone wont tear drivers on the 888's, however i think if you listen to music very loud and have the bass boost on it might damage the drivers, as i have found with a previous pair i owned. Ive been through about 5pairs because i just love these for their price, one pair was because of a driver issue where i was playing maximum volume on an ipod on a bass heavy song and well the driver was damaged. I sent them back and got a new pair, which worked out fine until i accidently rolled over the bud with a leather swivel chair, that kind of destroyed one side completely. I do find them quite fragile, cable is slightly fragile but nothing delicate...I'd say the driver cant handle high volumes with songs that have a lot of bass, i've damaged about 2 pairs because of this, depends how loud you listen to music... If you think of doing the mod, make sure you somehow cover anything from getting in the drivers...

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #5 of 27
what if say... i listen at a moderate volume, (which my friends consider soft) and use a bass boost feature that is too good?

I own a cowon iaudio G3, and hell their EQ+Bass boost really boosts the bass like hell. i don't want a ripped driver T_T

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 27
as long as its not too loud it should be fine... also the 888's need a lot of burn in IMO, moderate - high volume would i think also be ok, i think its the high volumes which may do something to the driver... but for your purposes it should be fine
smily_headphones1.gif

as long as the volume of the bass is moderate - high it should be ok, its just when you turn the volume to near maximum levels on a source that could be quite loud it may damage them, but i think it should suit your purposes fine
smily_headphones1.gif
not to say you cant play music loud, just not extremely loud with brain-thumping bass
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #8 of 27
well yeah, i have my limits. I never listen to songs at a loud volume, let alone ear splitting levels.

I do however have a tendency to get my earphone/headphone cords caught up on the chair's armrest =P So i guess i'll take more care there.

Feb 1, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 27
ok, one more thing, this or the creative EP-630 in terms of Sound quality?

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 27
oh and does the modded e888 make the earphones much more prone to damage?

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #11 of 27
bump

Feb 6, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer78
oh and does the modded e888 make the earphones much more prone to damage?

yep it does, its easier for dust and other things to get into the drivers and if that happens over time the driver will probably wear away faster or something... i just buy those ear bud covers from time to time and cover them up, i think this will reduce the chances of them being damaged by quite a bit... however the mod does make them sound quite a lot better...

and ive read around here that the 888's are the best earbuds that are out...

Feb 6, 2006 at 11:55 AM Post #13 of 27
indeed. Thank god i found bluetin while browsing this website, otherwise i'd be paying 135 bucks for them
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #14 of 27
135 bucks!! lol

what currency are you using?

Feb 7, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #15 of 27
AUD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back