Is the PS-1000 the "Greatest Grado Ever?"
Apr 30, 2010 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Bilavideo

Caution: Incomplete trades.
I mistakenly posted this to the Trade Forum (stupid, stupid, stupid). At the risk of asking something that has been asked and answered before, I need some feedback. I'm at the cusp of a decision. I've got a rare opportunity to plunk down major funds for these cans. I don't want to know that they're great. I want to know whether they're really worth the exorbitant price Grado is charging for them.

When you consider how easy it is to get an RS-1 or a GS-1000 for a discount, the last thing I want is a modest gain in sound quality. This has got to be a radical improvement. Otherwise, there are just so many better places to spend this kind of cash.

Are these really the Greatest Grados ever?

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you seen this thread?

Yeah, I read it. It's very bold and definitive, even if written in the style of "All your bases are belong to us."

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 56
If hyped means great to you, maybe. :p

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 56
I've heard both the GS1000 and PS1000. If you have heard and enjoyed the GS1000, there's a good possibility that you'll enjoy the PS1000 as well. Although I haven't heard the PS-1 yet, I believe the PS1000 sounds the most similar to the GS1000 in the whole Grado line. Really depends what kind of sound you like. The only things I liked about the PS1000 are the huge sound stage and bass qualities/quantities. The highs and mids on the PS1000s aren't my type of flavor. For those, I highly prefer the RS1s and the HP2s over the PS100 & GS1000. To my ears, the RS1 is fun, the HP-2 is neutral and the PS1000 is neither.

Also, to answer your question, I do not think the PS1000 is the greatest Grado headphone. IMO, the greatest Grado ever is the HP1000.

Edit: I've heard the HD800 and thought they sounded great even if it's just for 10 minutes. I do not think both headphones are worth their price but if I had to choose between the two, I'll definitely go for the HD800. They sounded more balance than the PS1000.

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 56
never heard the PS1000, but i auditioned the GS1000 once. that are different beasts from RS1, much more polite and much less agressive.
the prat of the RS1 is what maked them so great and popular for rock/metal stuff. anyway,I was really impressed with the GS1000 when I auditioned them and if i could i would have them also,but they are too expensive for me (not even talking about the PS1000
wink_face.gif
)

the PS1000 should be a more refined version of the GS1000 and thus better.
tighter bass and flatter all around which is a gogod thing imo.
If i would have the money i would definitely get them, I am drooling over them since the day i saw them in the first time. but they are so expensive in their current retail price...and to be honest,for me it is not worth it...not right now. it is true that the PS1000,gs1000 and all grado high models in general is a litte more expensive than what they should be,but everybody calls it own shots. only you can decide if they worth the money for you.

I also havnen't heard the HP1000 yet or the PS1 but right now the RS1 is the "ideal" grado sound for me.

May 1, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamahome77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard both the GS1000 and PS1000. If you have heard and enjoyed the GS1000, there's a good possibility that you'll enjoy the PS1000 as well. Although I haven't heard the PS-1 yet, I believe the PS1000 sounds the most similar to the GS1000 in the whole Grado line. Really depends what kind of sound you like. The only things I liked about the PS1000 are the huge sound stage and bass qualities/quantities. The highs and mids on the PS1000s aren't my type of flavor. For those, I highly prefer the RS1s and the HP2s over the PS100 & GS1000. To my ears, the RS1 is fun, the HP-2 is neutral and the PS1000 is neither.

Also, to answer your question, I do not think the PS1000 is the greatest Grado headphone. IMO, the greatest Grado ever is the HP1000.

Edit: I've heard the HD800 and thought they sounded great even if it's just for 10 minutes. I do not think both headphones are worth their price but if I had to choose between the two, I'll definitely go for the HD800. They sounded more balance than the PS1000.

we seem to have similar preferences. But i've never heard the PS1000 so I can't say

May 1, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a friend who has both the GS1000 and PS1000. I'll ask him for his impression and I'll get back to you (probably tomorrow... sorry if that will be too late).

I would greatly appreciate that. On the eve of its release, there was so much hype about this headphone. Now, the radio silence is deafening. Ironically, now that I have the cash to buy it, I'm wondering if I should.

May 1, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 56
I've heard them at two different times (along with the GS1000i) and thought they were nice, just not as nice as the RS1/RS1i. Plonter was correct, they were the polite version for Grado.

I prefer the timbre, slam, speed, and intimate RS1 sound much more. They are trying to be more like the HD800, only coloured and not as good, but for more money.

I would sit back and enjoy the HD800s, you're not missing anything IMHO.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 56
Greatest Grado Ever = HP-1000

May 1, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greatest Grado Ever = HP-1000

Agreed. But IMO, greatest Grado currently manufactured = RS1i
smile.gif

May 1, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #13 of 56
What's the difference between the RS1 and the RS1i, other than the fact that the latter is currently in production?

May 1, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #14 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the difference between the RS1 and the RS1i, other than the fact that the latter is currently in production?

Physically, they don't have the button "RS1"; although the very last batch of RS1s were also "buttonless", the cables are twice as thick and according to Grado, they have "new and improved" drivers.

How do they compare sonically? They are both very similar, but I slightly prefer the RS1i's as they don't seem to have as much of the typical exaggerated mid-bass Grado hump.

May 1, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 56
I have the buttonless RS1...the last model before the I's. the RS1 have great speed and they are very punchy...amazing with rock and metal of all kinds. but I realy can't listen to anything else with them,it will be a great suffering to my ears so I didn't even try.
its too bad that they don't have just a tad more bass response,they will be perfect. right now i prefer to pair them with a rather bassy amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back