Is the price of premium connection returning to Earth?
Feb 2, 2006 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

eyeteeth

Headphoneus Supremus
I ask because it seems so. Others here have been in the game longer than I and have more experience than I but it seems that there has been a recent drop in price, a boost in performance in cabling. I don't know if it's the excellent affordable offerings of the multitude of little guys poping up and affecting the market but some of the big boys such as Nordost, which I've fallen under the spell of with their latest PCs, are offering cables that outperform their older much more expensive cables. It looks like a trend, this better performance at lower price supplanting the previous better performance at a much higher price. Reality is tough to determine but if I had a 2K Shunyata cord I'd want to hear this Acrolink to hear if the field is truly narrowing or if the reviewer is totally off.

This is not an invitation to debate for those who think all wire is the same and anything over $20 is overpriced, go start your own thread thanks.
Each to their own.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 5
I've had much better success with stuff from the little guys then stuff from the big guys. At any given price point the big guys can't compete. I've had high priced cables from cardas, nordost, bc and vd in my system and was never too impressed.

Biggie.

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 5
I recently bit the bullet on a VH Audio Airsine, which I had custom terminated with Oyaide Rhodium over silver connectors, both male and IEC. It should be arriving next week. MY BPT PPC is also outfitted with Oyaide Rhodium over Silvers outlets, and for good measure Chris Hoff threw in a wall Oyaide outlet for me to try out on his expense. The PPC was inarguably the best tweak I have done to my system thus far, I will report back when I get the AirSine next week

Feb 4, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 5
I have a hard time understanding how a powerbar (power tap, whatever) can improve sound over just a quality wall outlet. It only allows more things to be connected, there's no filtering or any conditioning going on in the PPC.

Feb 10, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
I have a hard time understanding how a powerbar (power tap, whatever) can improve sound over just a quality wall outlet. It only allows more things to be connected, there's no filtering or any conditioning going on in the PPC.

Exactly - completely passive and in my situation and experiences less is more. I forgot to say my wall outlet is also Oyaide Rhodium as well. Filtering and conditioning is not always a positive thing and in certain cases going completely passive is the way to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back