Is the E11 enough for the DT 990s 250 ohm
Apr 18, 2014 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Andriokz

New Head-Fier
Pretty much says it in the title. After hours of researching basically it says I need an amp and a DAC for the Beyer Dynamic DT 990s Pro 250. I'm going to be playing from my desktop and the FiiO comes bundled with the DT 990s for 200.   I know the classic setups of the Magni and Modi or the E09k with the E17k, sadly I'm not sure if it's needed to buy a system that's worth  more than the actual headphones if the E11 can deliver if it's only 250 ohms.

Thanks in advance for the help :D

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 5
  Pretty much says it in the title. After hours of researching basically it says I need an amp and a DAC for the Beyer Dynamic DT 990s Pro 250. I'm going to be playing from my desktop and the FiiO comes bundled with the DT 990s for 200.   I know the classic setups of the Magni and Modi or the E09k with the E17k, sadly I'm not sure if it's needed to buy a system that's worth  more than the actual headphones if the E11 can deliver if it's only 250 ohms.

Thanks in advance for the help :D

The problem using E11 from your laptop is - E11 isn't a dac/amp. The only way you can feed a signal to E11 is from your laptop/PC headphone out which is not the best way to hook up an amp. Most onboard audio found on laptops are quite poor therefore you need to look at dac/amps like (FiiO) E17, E18, E07K, E10 etc. which connect via USB bypassing your laptops onboard audio.

One non FiiO dac/amp I hear good things about is the Topping D1 MK2.

Or if you're going to be near a power point then Aune T1 is a great option.  

Btw: You're in the wrong section, you might want to post in the portable amps section.
http://www.head-fi.org/f/105/portable-headphone-amps

Start researching using our search feature on the options I mentioned.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 5
Most of the problem with laptop headphone out happens when you directly plug in a load that requires high power or has low impedance; there's less of an issue with plugging into an amp.

However another problem you might find is electrical noise (or your laptop headphone out might really be truly bad); in that case an external DAC would be beneficial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back