Is the Cowon O2 right for me? Recent firmware vs. Sony A, S9, iPod Classic, etc..
Jan 23, 2010 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

a_recording

Member of the Trade: Lachlanlikesathing
Hi guys!

I've been looking for a new music DAP, after occupying all 16gb of my Sony S. I've been torn between players like the S9 and the upcoming Sony A (February 8 in Australia!) but found them all lacking in some regard or another...

My main requirements are that the player can play AAC, have good hardware physical controls, decent capacity and some decent lossless support - preferably Apple Lossless. Of course, battery life and design and interface are concerns, I don't want to spend more time fighting with the DAP then listening to music.

I can't bring myself to love the iPod Classic's click wheel and terrible EQ options, the Sony A is looking great as a less expensive X, except for the lack of decent lossless support, and the S9 sound signature sounds ideal to me, except it kills me with its lack of AAC. For similar kinds of reasons, the S:flo/T51 and amp3 are a little offputting.

Imagine my surprise after reading countless comparisons between the aforementioned players, that out of curiosity I head over to the Cowon website and look over the O2, which is seldom mentioned here. A player that supports Apple Lossless/AAC, with a huge 32GB max capacity *AND* SD card support, physical hardware controls, and Cowon sound quality!

Only that, the reviews I've read so far are pretty scathing about its usability and interface. The lack of ability to search by artist/album etc is terrifying, and I can't even tell if that has been changed with firmware. I know its also a more video orientated player, and really not suited as a primary DAP.

The thing is though, it looks great on paper. I can't find any recent posts on the O2, and with the most recent firmware update being from January of this month, I'm wondering if there are any O2 owners here who can tell me if the O2 is actually pleasant to use now with all its current updates.

Or, if anyone can suggest a player that I've overlooked. Thanks everyone for their help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back