Is the bass of the Etymotic ER4P STILL a bit lightweight even when they are truly properly inserted?
Apr 12, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 32
I'd recommend the Apple in-ear. They are easily everything the ER4s are and more. They completely retain their sound quality no matter in what environment you are.

Apple in-ears make mono recordings sound like binaural.

Apr 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #17 of 32
@montell:
I beg to differ on the Apple IEMs. Granted they're a pretty good deal for the asking price (decent dual driver, mic + clicker and volume buttons that are nice for compatible ipod\iphone models), the sound quality is below the par of the course here regardless of what your preferred sound sig is. I found the Apple dual driver IEMs to be too dark. Not the kind of 'dark' that has overpowering lows that affect the overall balance of presentation, but they just don't have enough detail on the highs so as they sound 'dark' without the impactful lows associated with good 'dark\warm' phones.

Apr 12, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@montell:
I beg to differ on the Apple IEMs. Granted they're a pretty good deal for the asking price (decent dual driver, mic + clicker and volume buttons that are nice for compatible ipod\iphone models), the sound quality is below the par of the course here regardless of what your preferred sound sig is. I found the Apple dual driver IEMs to be too dark. Not the kind of 'dark' that has overpowering lows that affect the overall balance of presentation, but they just don't have enough detail on the highs so as they sound 'dark' without the impactful lows associated with good 'dark\warm' phones.

You know what. I actually agree with you there. They high and especially the mids seem a little bit recessed if you will. But I found them to be really satisfying earphones. Not that overpowering unnatural bass that just shakes the earth or those raping highs that would pierce your eardrums. They have that pleasant yuin sound to them. Even the airiness

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel and amp brings the bass right back to where it really should be.

Because it acts as a buffer (in that the coupling capacitors now «see» a high load impedance) and thus prevents the bass response from dropping off.
tongue_smile.gif
That's most likely the only reason in most cases.

Apr 12, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

well yes.

im not sure what your point is? are we not agreeing?

ie go get a cheap amp and then they etys will be fine as most players cant drive them properly so they have very little bass.

From your wording I still get the impression that you think lacking power is the problem, whereas most likely it's just the undersized capacitors in the headphone output acting as high-pass filters. A higher load impedance would just as well do the trick -- thus an impedance adapter --, by decreasing the filter frequency.

Apr 12, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #22 of 32
well it would but........

the little amp would also fix the problem and give the option of having the bass boost. something i think can work very very well on the er4.

given the E5 only costs $17.50 on deal extreme i think it still offers the most versatile solution to the problem

Apr 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

well yes thats the reason it needs an amp but i feel that from an under powered source (which means more or less them all) the bass is the first thing to deminish.

i feel and amp brings the bass right back to where it really should be. still not a lot for some but not quite so hidden away

Here we go again...
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #25 of 32
It seems, to me and my little knowledge about such things, that a combination of the impedance adapter along with an amplifier of sorts would be the ideal set-up. An impedance adapter to restore the bass, and an amplifier to add some control and give it the juice it would need from the increased resistance of the cable. Is this thinking logical?

Apr 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffygdog95 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems, to me and my little knowledge about such things, that a combination of the impedance adapter along with an amplifier of sorts would be the ideal set-up. An impedance adapter to restore the bass, and an amplifier to add some control and give it the juice it would need from the increased resistance of the cable. Is this thinking logical?

An amp would make the impedance adapter redundant: Its high input impedance makes for a high load impedance (for the PDP's headphone out), and the amp's output stage doesn't have similar problems with low impedances.

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #27 of 32
Even if you amp the ER4P's you are still not going to get musical bass. The ER4P's are accurate with it's frequency response but they are far from being musical as in how music was intentionally recorded. For a lack of a better analogy, it's like reading a passage in a book aloud. You can read it accurately but then there's reading with all the nuances to give the text meaning and depth. ER4P's is similar to that, reading the text while pronunciating and following all the periods, commas, colons, and semi-colons but lacking emotion.

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #28 of 32
Have to absolutely disagree with that statement. To me the ER4 is probably the best headphone I have experienced but then I have also taken them to the extreeme to acheive that

Apr 14, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #29 of 32
Extreme? How so? I have no problem with the ER4s reproduction of notes it's just as a whole, it's really lacking body and air. Big difference between a full bodied articulate bass and just articulate bass.

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dookiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Extreme? How so? I have no problem with the ER4s reproduction of notes it's just as a whole, it's really lacking body and air. Big difference between a full bodied articulate bass and just articulate bass.

Totally agree with stocked un-amped Etys. The APuresound cable with a warm EQ'able amp provide the ER4 with more warmth and body while still maintaining the detailed treble. Pretty incredible for a single BA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back