is the AudioQuest DragonFly for $100 a good price?
Nov 28, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 26

I own the Schiit Modi and the 1990 Meridian203 dacs, and I just ordered the Dragon Fly and was wondering the same thing, but for $99.00U.S., I figured I would try it, being all of the reviews I've read were positive…hope I'm not wasting my money!!! This is some price drop from (I believe) $250.00U.S., so this may worry me a little bit, but on the other hand, maybe it was just overpriced to begin with, (I don't know), but I guess I'll find out! I would also like to hear feedback from personnel caparisons/experiences, because I can still cancel my order, or for that matter return it, if I don't hear some replies soon.

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 26
The AQDF is worth it at its $250 MSRP, for $100 it's a steal.

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 26
They just released a new version (Dragonfly 1.2) and the MSRP is $150. Unless you know for sure you're getting the new one, I'd say it's not that great of a deal. Here's the press release.

Finally, a Real DragonFly Killer!

DragonFly v1.2 USB Stick DAC: Same Size, Better Sound, Now Just $149

DragonFly 1.0 invented the USB-stick DAC form factor, wowed music lovers around the world, radically challenged perceptions of what a DAC could be, and tore the roof off all performance expectations for a DAC that costs just a couple hundred bucks. Music lovers, however, weren’t the only folks who noticed what our little critter was up to as it buzzed around the continents; many companies jumped in, each touting their own product as a “DragonFly killer.”

Well, now there is a DragonFly killer, and it’s from AudioQuest and its name is … DragonFly. It’s the same discreet little critter as before, but now it’s DragonFly v1.2.
Among the improvements, the circuitry between the DAC chip and the analog output stage has been refined to create a more direct signal path, leading to even greater transparency and immediacy. Also, the DAC’s power supply has been fortified, which gives the sound more “grip,” and even greater dynamic contrast.

However, the really fun part is that as of November 27, we’re able to offer this improved, better-sounding DragonFly v1.2 for just $149. Funner still, everyone who’s purchased a DragonFly that shipped to retailers on or after November 12 already has a v1.2!

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 26
  The AQDF is worth it at its $250 MSRP, for $100 it's a steal.

Thanks for the positive input!

They just released a new version (Dragonfly 1.2) and the MSRP is $150. Unless you know for sure you're getting the new one, I'd say it's not that great of a deal. Here's the press release.

Finally, a Real DragonFly Killer!

DragonFly v1.2 USB Stick DAC: Same Size, Better Sound, Now Just $149

DragonFly 1.0 invented the USB-stick DAC form factor, wowed music lovers around the world, radically challenged perceptions of what a DAC could be, and tore the roof off all performance expectations for a DAC that costs just a couple hundred bucks. Music lovers, however, weren’t the only folks who noticed what our little critter was up to as it buzzed around the continents; many companies jumped in, each touting their own product as a “DragonFly killer.”

Well, now there is a DragonFly killer, and it’s from AudioQuest and its name is … DragonFly. It’s the same discreet little critter as before, but now it’s DragonFly v1.2.
Among the improvements, the circuitry between the DAC chip and the analog output stage has been refined to create a more direct signal path, leading to even greater transparency and immediacy. Also, the DAC’s power supply has been fortified, which gives the sound more “grip,” and even greater dynamic contrast.

However, the really fun part is that as of November 27, we’re able to offer this improved, better-sounding DragonFly v1.2 for just $149. Funner still, everyone who’s purchased a DragonFly that shipped to retailers on or after November 12 already has a v1.2!

Thanks for the info. I just put my order in 2 days ago with Amazon, so I guess I'll be getting the v1.2, but I'll have to check the site again and see if it mentions this.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 26
  I just e-mailed AQ, and asked them if I was going to receive the v1.2, and they said no.

Don't worry too much about it, as you are not missing much.  $100 for the original AQDF is still a VERY good deal.

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 26
  Don't worry too much about it, as you are not missing much.  $100 for the original AQDF is still a VERY good deal.

I figured this, but their aartical at the bottom according to AQ does state that I should receive the v1.2 (I placed my order on 11/27, I even sent that article to AQ and they verified it was written by them, but said I would need to spend another $50.00U.S. to receive the v1.2…but thats not what the article is saying as far as I'm concerned. But like your saying I'm probably not going to miss much, and I'm not really worried about it. Thanks

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 26
I received the AQ Dragon Fly today and I'm listening to it for the past hour or so with my MBP with my SR325is's, directly out of  the DF set at 44.100 kHz (Green) and all ALAC files. I've listened to some Classic Rock (mixed songs) and now I'm listening to Smooth Jazz (Smooth Jazz Essentials) all in all I would say it sound nice. It has more clarity/detail and forwardness than the MBP's DAC. The MBP's headphone out to me isn't horrible, but this does sound better. But before I do that, I'm going to listen to the same Smooth Jazz Cd directly from the MBP's headphone out to hear how much better the DF really sound to me. Later I'm going to hook up the DF with the LD1+ and hear how this combo sounds also.

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 26
  I received the AQ Dragon Fly today and I'm listening to it for the past hour or so with my MBP with my SR325is's, directly out of  the DF set at 44.100 kHz (Green) and all ALAC files. I've listened to some Classic Rock (mixed songs) and now I'm listening to Smooth Jazz (Smooth Jazz Essentials) all in all I would say it sound nice. It has more clarity/detail and forwardness than the MBP's DAC. The MBP's headphone out to me isn't horrible, but this does sound better. But before I do that, I'm going to listen to the same Smooth Jazz Cd directly from the MBP's headphone out to hear how much better the DF really sound to me. Later I'm going to hook up the DF with the LD1+ and hear how this combo sounds also.

I personally just set it to 24/96 and let it up scan.  I know some people are picky about matching bit rates, but I think since you paid for it, you might just as well use it.  Hope you like it.

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 26
  I personally just set it to 24/96 and let it up scan.  I know some people are picky about matching bit rates, but I think since you paid for it, you might just as well use it.  Hope you like it.

I thought the bit rate should be matched, as I've always done?
So what effect will this have on the sound if I do this?
I thought you couldn't up scan something that wasn't there to begin with, (like 44 to 96), if it only has 44Hz.
 I'm only into computer listening for about a year now, so theres a lot I don't know and a lot to learn and I learn everyday, this is why I'm asking, thanks.

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #12 of 26
  I thought the bit rate should be matched, as I've always done?
So what effect will this have on the sound if I do this?
I thought you couldn't up scan something that wasn't there to begin with, (like 44 to 96), if it only has 44Hz.
 I'm only into computer listening for about a year now, so theres a lot I don't know and a lot to learn and I learn everyday, this is why I'm asking, thanks.

The only reason why people recommend matching bit rate is to avoid the conversion and extra computing time, but to this date I have yet too hear any negative effects on my music.  Just try it yourself and see if you can tell the difference, because I couldn't.

Dec 3, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #13 of 26
  The only reason why people recommend matching bit rate is to avoid the conversion and extra computing time, but to this date I have yet too hear any negative effects on my music.  Just try it yourself and see if you can tell the difference, because I couldn't.

I tried it immediately after your reply, switching back and forth several times with a very familiar passage in a song, and heard no difference at all either.
So as to my question, am I correct, you can't take a sample rate of 44 and up scan it to 96, can you, or am I confusing the sample rate with the bit rate? I'm most certain you can't increase the bit rate on a music file, but you can compress the file to a smaller bit rate, as far as I believe I've read. For my own knowledge I would like to know for sure., thanks.

One thing I do like about the DF, is that I can still use the main volume control on my MBP, so I can set the volume on iTunes (ALAC), and also the amp I'm using at the time, and still use the remote for the main volume on the MBP, where as with the Meridian and the Modi I'm unable to use the main volume once either of these two DAC's are plugged into the MBP.
And once again, the sound is nice, but I would not have been thrilled if I paid have paid $250.00U.S., when the Modi is $99.00 and sounds much better to me (both used with the LD1+), IMO. As for using the DF directly with headphones out of the MBP, yes IMO, it sounds better than the MBP's DAC. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #14 of 26
  I tried it immediately after your reply, switching back and forth several times with a very familiar passage in a song, and heard no difference at all either.
So as to my question, am I correct, you can't take a sample rate of 44 and up scan it to 96, can you, or am I confusing the sample rate with the bit rate? I'm most certain you can't increase the bit rate on a music file, but you can compress the file to a smaller bit rate, as far as I believe I've read. For my own knowledge I would like to know for sure., thanks.

One thing I do like about the DF, is that I can still use the main volume control on my MBP, so I can set the volume on iTunes (ALAC), and also the amp I'm using at the time, and still use the remote for the main volume on the MBP, where as with the Meridian and the Modi I'm unable to use the main volume once either of these two DAC's are plugged into the MBP.
And once again, the sound is nice, but I would not have been thrilled if I paid have paid $250.00U.S., when the Modi is $99.00 and sounds much better to me (both used with the LD1+), IMO. As for using the DF directly with headphones out of the MBP, yes IMO, it sounds better than the MBP's DAC.

You can up covert bit rate (word length) but you won't gain anything.  For example, if you go from 16 bits to 32 bits, all the existing info is already contain within the first 16 bits, so that the extra space is basically a waste.  However, frequency is different, and you can mathematically "smooth out" the wave form going from 44k to 96k Hz.  This does change your music and adds computing time, but if done right your music should sound better.  Go look up BBE+ or any discussion about Cowon players and they will go into this in depth.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #15 of 26
  You can up covert bit rate (word length) but you won't gain anything.  For example, if you go from 16 bits to 32 bits, all the existing info is already contain within the first 16 bits, so that the extra space is basically a waste.  However, frequency is different, and you can mathematically "smooth out" the wave form going from 44k to 96k Hz.  This does change your music and adds computing time, but if done right your music should sound better.  Go look up BBE+ or any discussion about Cowon players and they will go into this in depth.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the link you also provided, thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back