Is the ATH-M50 a good choice for me?
Oct 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Hydrocharged

100+ Head-Fier
I feel it's time for me to expand my collection of headphones once more! I've been gone for a while and seem to have forgotten 80% of my knowledge of all the headphones and their sound signatures. Anyway, I've been listening to my JVC HA-FX101s recently and have become accustomed to the subbass that is present in these things, yet I yearn for more rumble. Now I do have some experience with Triple.Fi's and a set of customs, yet I want to add a serious over-ear headphone to the set. I appreciate a true subbass the most (the kind that can cause earthquakes, though I know this isn't really possible in a headphone), however I do not like to skimp on my mids or highs at all. Yet, as I listen to a lot of R&B, subbass and mids are perhaps the most important areas. I've read the ATH-M50s have that subbass rumble that I want, yet lack a little in the mids and highs, which may be something I can live with. Are there any superior choices? I'm not looking for bloated bass, but deep and impactful subbass with decent to amazing mids and good highs. Thanks!

I'd like to stay at or below $100 if possible, though RARE exceptions can be made if a $130 set sounds like a $900 set.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 3
You may want to try to find a pair of Sony MDR-XB500.  They have plenty of bass while keeping some of the mids in check.  I think the ATH-M50 is going to be much too neutral sounding to your ear and without the extra bass most of your music will feel a tad dry.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sony-mdr-xb500.php

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 3
Creative Aurvana Lives and M-Audio Q40s have solid bass quantities as well, more than the M50s for sure. The CALs have nicer mids, but the Q40's bass is immense. Sub-bass, texture, and sheer power up the wazoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back