Is supermini still considered to be a good amp?
Nov 16, 2009 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lisztian420

500+ Head-Fier
HI,

I need you guys' opinions here. So... we all know DR. Xin used to produce very good amp! At least that was the general consensus. What about now? IS his supermini amp competitive to the new Ibassos or the miniboxes?

From reading in this forum I gathered that the portable amp technology has improved a great deal.

Well here is my current situation. A friend of mine offered his Xin Supermini for $65 dollars. Is it worth it? Or I should just go ahead and order T3 from Ibasso?

Once again, your help are appreciated: )

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 10
which iteration of the Supermini is it? The SM IV is an incredible little beast, and very customizable, with impedance switching, adjustible gain, bass boost and opamp rolling.

then again, i haven't heard any of the newer amps to compare against.

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 10
The Super Mini IV is a great little compact amp. And as stated above, you can change op amps to customize the sound.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanx for the reply!

I am going to ask more info from my friend.

Jamato, do you think the Supermini is compariable to some of the newer amps like Ibasso T3. Currently I am debating oh which one to get. Are the supermini compatible with IEMs?

Thanx!

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 10
It works fine with IEM's. There are several models of even the IV. The very last one I am not as fond of. Again, it also depends upon the op amp choice.

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 10
wow, for once someone not asking for a kidney for a XIN amp

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 10
I sent Dr. Xin both my Reference and Supermini during last Jan for upgrading and received them back one month later......but, that is not important except from a time-line for the latest Xin sound. The Supermini is a IV, and I remember it was clearly superior after that upgrading,......and of course, I've always luved its' form factor (I've owned an earlier Supermini) they've both been attached to a 1st gen. Nano and currently used with Klipsch x10. You ask if its' competitive......the proper question would be if iBasso et al are competitive with it.
My suggestion, while fraught with "the danger of interminable waiting" would be to grab that Supermini and send it straight to Dr. Xin and ask him to upgrade it. No matter the model/age of the offered Supermini - at $65, it's a gift.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 10
i wouldn't send it back to Xin. not worth the risk... the guy has been incredibly dodgy about getting back to people and fulfilling orders.

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 10
Need I remind you - he's talking about an amp offered to him for the magnificent sum of $65.. What you've read is about output of new amps - not updates.
Even if Dr Xin doesn't update it for him.........any Xin amp can be sold for more.

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanx for your inputs.

Actually,... I decided to pass on this deal as a good mutual friend of ours is getting it instead. At the moment I am really worried about RFI. I am planning to get a new amp for my 5800 and the T51.

For those that gave me nice offers for the supermini, if I see anything on other websites, I will give you guys a heads up!

Peace!

Charlie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back