Is PRO900 good with jazz, instrumental, classical, jpop?
May 6, 2010 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Pianist

Headphoneus Supremus
I am wondering how versitile the PRO900 is. I am about to pick up a pair. I got MiniBox E+ and Audigy 2 ZS with kxProject drivers for juice. I listen primarily to jpop, thai pop, instrumental, smooth jazz, classical and a bit of other music too, like rock, trance and dance. I heard PRO900 is very good for rock, dance, hip-hop, trance and stuff like that, but I am worried that it may have overpowering bass for classical, jazz, instrumental and jpop.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

May 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 27
I only heard the Pro 900 once, but to be honest my favorite JPop cans remain the ESW10JPN. 

May 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 27

Quote:
I only heard the Pro 900 once, but to be honest my favorite JPop cans remain the ESW10JPN. 

So what did you think of the PRO900s?

May 6, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 27
I don't want to give too much advice on based on a 2 month, 1-hr shop memory, but I remember they do take well to a powerful amp (symphony.2) as opposed a 'meh' amp (Denon CD player), more so than D5000's. They are quite clean, with good instrument separation and soundstage, which does offset their potenial bassiness somewhat for JPop. But do wait for more impressions. 

May 6, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
pro 900s are in the worst 3 headphones i have ever owned this includes 2 gaming headphones. wait v4 beyers were in this group also

Wow. I sure don't need one of the worst. I need the other way around lol What exactly didn't you like about them?

May 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 27
confused_face.gif

May 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 27
Pro 900 is great all rounders. It has so many characters it can switch between. It´s instrument separation and the soundstaging which is the best I have yet to experience regarding headphones open or closed..
As for classical it´s not enough to be my first choice though.

What I don´t like with classical is the amount of low bass. I think you are right to be worried. It kills the flow that I preferr for classical. I equalize away some low bass for it though I do my serious classical stuff on the GMP 435S with oval pads... It sound freakishly real on the DAC19 for classical, jazz. It´s open and doesn´t isolate for a dime though.

However for Piano, Cello or vocals the Pro 900 perform admirable still. Piano or vocals I haven´t found any match so far.

You haven´t considered getting an equalizer like the Behringer DEC2496? You get a decent DAC better then the Audigy 2 you have most certainly. It can equalize in the digital domain so you can use it between your transport to a future DAC. If you are going to use one headphone as all rounders and sit by a desk anyway it´s the best purchase you can make.

May 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 27

Quote:
Pro 900 is great all rounders. It has so many characters it can switch between. It´s instrument separation and the soundstaging which is the best I have yet to experience regarding headphones open or closed..
As for classical it´s not enough to be my first choice though.

What I don´t like with classical is the amount of low bass. I think you are right to be worried. It kills the flow that I preferr for classical. I equalize away some low bass for it though I do my serious classical stuff on the GMP 435S with oval pads... It sound freakishly real on the DAC19 for classical, jazz. It´s open and doesn´t isolate for a dime though.

However for Piano, Cello or vocals the Pro 900 perform admirable still. Piano or vocals I haven´t found any match so far.

You haven´t considered getting an equalizer like the Behringer DEC2496? You get a decent DAC better then the Audigy 2 you have most certainly. It can equalize in the digital domain so you can use it between your transport to a future DAC. If you are going to use one headphone as all rounders and sit by a desk anyway it´s the best purchase you can make.

Thanks for the detailed response. I plan to use these on the go too. I don't have a problem with the size and weight. How do they sound to you unamped out of a decent DAP? I personally listened to PRO750 with my Sony Walkman and found it to be a good match.

May 6, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 27
Was quite a while since I last tried my Pro 900 on my Ipod touch 3G... I thought about getting a portable cable for them but then I looked in my mirror and didn´t like what I saw :wink:

I haven´t done any longer periods with the Ipod touch so don´t want to comment so much. For portable use I would say they do the trick. For home usage I definiatly need to run them properly amped.

May 6, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
Was quite a while since I last tried my Pro 900 on my Ipod touch 3G... I thought about getting a portable cable for them but then I looked in my mirror and didn´t like what I saw :wink:

I haven´t done any longer periods with the Ipod touch so don´t want to comment so much. For portable use I would say they do the trick. For home usage I definiatly need to run them properly amped.

I believe so too. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif
For home use I got my MiniBox E+ which should be OK for now, but I will replace it with something more serious soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back