Is it worth buying a dedicated headphone amp over my AV amp?
Aug 15, 2010 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

richie60

100+ Head-Fier
At the moment, I am using my dell inspiron laptop connected via USB to spdif converter to the internal DAC on my Marantz SR-4300 AV Receiver. I suppose this sounds decent enough having never heard a dedicated headphone amp, but lately have been thinking if things would sound a lot better through a dedicated amp.  To this end, I have shortlisted a couple of amps on ebay:

Little Dot MKII or MKIII
Darkvoice 336SE

Or stick with SS - Keces -HA-171

I will be getting some new phones in the future - preferably Grado SR325i's to go with this.

Tastes in music are quite broad, but I like Rock/Metal, pop, some acoustic.

I already own a pair of AKG K601's but am a little underwhelmed with these when plugged into the AV Receiver playing back rock music.

What do you guy's think would be best?  Just go with the Grado's or upgrade to a dedicated amp as well?  

PS Would the above mentioned valve amps be a good match for both my AKG's and future Grado choice?

Thankyou,

Richie

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 3
See this thread, where I posted yesterday to hear my opinion on it.  Your receiver is a headphone amp, and it might be pretty good.  If it sounds good enough to you, then feel good about keeping your wallet closed.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507242/noob-vs-the-amp#post_6854551

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 3

There are many threads on the same theme,but a quick answer is NO you do not need a so called dedicated headphone amp.

Many AVR's and integrated amps have very good headphone outs.

As to the 601's not sounding good with rock,well that could just be the phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back