Is it true that a portable amp can boost the bass on a pair of headphones?
Jun 9, 2013 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

New Head-Fier
I ask this question because I really want a pair of basshead headphones, yet I want the mids and highs to be warm and clearly bought out. BTW, I like to listen to jazz and contemporary music, as well as hip-hop and dubstep. I know that when buying a pair of bass-heavy headphones, the quality can be lessened in different areas. Should I keep my eyes open for a really good pair of basshead headphones, or can I get a pair of headphones with overall good quality and use an amp to boost the bass??? Thanks!

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 26
The FiiO E11 has a bass boost function. You might want to look into that. That's pretty well regarded too as an amplifier.

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 26
Not all portable amp boost bass but yeah, the most popular ones are DigiZoid ZO2.3 for more bass. As for headphones, warm mids and clear highs? Look into those Sennheiser's HD5xx line or HD439 for that

Hope this help!
Billson :)

Jun 15, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 26
So I decided to buy the WS99 headphones and I'm going to buy a portable amp. But is a DAC necessary? I'd be a Galaxy Note 2 as my source, and I'm positive it has a dac built in to it. Also I'll be using the headphones with an optical audio cable (fiber optic cable) for my tv. Do you know if optical cables output digital or analog signals???... because if they output digital signals then I will definitely need to buy a DAC to convert the signals.

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:
So I decided to buy the WS99 headphones and I'm going to buy a portable amp. But is a DAC necessary? I'd be a Galaxy Note 2 as my source, and I'm positive it has a dac built in to it. Also I'll be using the headphones with an optical audio cable (fiber optic cable) for my tv. Do you know if optical cables output digital or analog signals???... because if they output digital signals then I will definitely need to buy a DAC to convert the signals.

Optical is digital.
You can consider looking for a DAC/AMP that can use optical. Just be sure you're looking right when you want optical as input or output.

Jun 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:
Optical is digital.
You can consider looking for a DAC/AMP that can use optical. Just be sure you're looking right when you want optical as input or output.

Okay thanks! So I have two questions.
1) Is a DAC converter and an AMP two separate things?

2) Is there a product that makes it two in 1? I was reviewing the Fiio ENDES-E07K and it's under the category of "AMP & DAC". I'm not sure if it's just a DAC converter (because I've heard them being called DAC amps before), or if it's like a 2 in 1 product that's an AMP and a DAC converter????

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

If you want tons of bass as well as clean mids and highs, try the Monster Ncredible N-Pulse headphones. They'll put a smile on your face and then blow out your ear drums with just an ipod. The bass thumps but It hits nice and clean without an EQ. They're not sloppy bass sounding which usually messes with the highs/mids like the Beats.

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 26

2) Is there a product that makes it two in 1? I was reviewing the Fiio ENDES-E07K and it's under the category of "AMP & DAC". I'm not sure if it's just a DAC converter (because I've heard them being called DAC amps before), or if it's like a 2 in 1 product that's an AMP and a DAC converter????

Hello!

Yes! Amp and DAC are different. DAC stands for Digital to Analog Converter.

It is also possible for 2 in 1! However, most DAC DOES NOT work with smartphone/tablet unless the manufactur page said so

Hope this help!
Billson :D

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

As has already been said, yes, the DAC and AMP are two separate things. I shouldn't have written "AMP" but "amp".
"Amp" is the short form of "Amplifier". In a nutshell, it amplifies signals.

Yes, there are many units that contain both a DAC and an amp. The FiiO E07k is indeed one of such product; there's also the E17 that has a better amp than the E07k. It is more expensive though. Depending on what you use it with you might hear noise. Usually only the case with high sensitivity IEMs (in ear monitors). Both of them can take S/PDIF inputs (digital coaxial or optical). These two are pretty strictly headphone amps so you wouldn't be using them to power speakers.

**EDIT**
Right. Most modern sources (music player, etc.) have both DAC and amps in them. The quality is, however, generally not as good as in dedicated amps you see talking about on Head-Fi. What Billson says about DACs not working for smartphones and the likes is true for something like the E07k and the E17. These two have DACs you can use with USB (computer) and coaxial/optical sources.You can still use the amp section though.
Depending on what music player you are using as portable, you may be able to bypass the player's amp (volume control). Apple products for example you can use LOD's.

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 26
As has already been said, yes, the DAC and AMP are two separate things. I shouldn't have written "AMP" but "amp".
"Amp" is the short form of "Amplifier". In a nutshell, it amplifies signals.

Yes, there are many units that contain both a DAC and an amp. The FiiO E07k is indeed one of such product; there's also the E17 that has a better amp than the E07k. It is more expensive though. Depending on what you use it with you might hear noise. Usually only the case with high sensitivity IEMs (in ear monitors). Both of them can take S/PDIF inputs (digital coaxial or optical). These two are pretty strictly headphone amps so you wouldn't be using them to power speakers.

**EDIT**
Right. Most modern sources (music player, etc.) have both DAC and amps in them. The quality is, however, generally not as good as in dedicated amps you see talking about on Head-Fi. What Billson says about DACs not working for smartphones and the likes is true for something like the E07k and the E17. These two have DACs you can use with USB (computer) and coaxial/optical sources.You can still use the amp section though.
Depending on what music player you are using as portable, you may be able to bypass the player's amp (volume control). Apple products for example you can use LOD's.

A more detail version of mine XD good job! Excellent explaination :D

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:
A more detail version of mine XD good job! Excellent explaination
biggrin.gif

I completely forgot about the DAC part not working for anything non-PC so the credit goes to you
beerchug.gif

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #12 of 26
im going to buy the fiio E11 amp, but I still need a dac. Im looking for a dac that can take a mini toslink 3.5mm input.. but I would also like to be able to have a 3.5mm digital input. I know that the E17 has this capability, but like I said, I would like a separate amp and dac.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 26

The phone has a DAC. Else you could never hook up analog headphones (they are all analog)
Cables aren't digtal or analog. They are either electrical (metal) or optical (glass/fiber).
You cannot use an optical cable with headphones.

Jul 24, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #15 of 26
im going to buy the fiio E11 amp, but I still need a dac. Im looking for a dac that can take a mini toslink 3.5mm input.. but I would also like to be able to have a 3.5mm digital input. I know that the E17 has this capability, but like I said, I would like a separate amp and dac.

Does your phone have toslink or any digital 3.5mm output? What phone do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back