Is it too late for a "high-end" forum about headphones?
Aug 15, 2008 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
I've stated in the past, and continue to believe, that the time of the high-end headphone is past (although the time of the high-end IEM may be upon us). I lost a lot of hope for headphones at a recent meet listening to the latest incarnation of the Omega II. I've got an original Omega II that is simply a better headphone sonically. Cleaner and faster throughout, and with much deeper bass. So, IMO the last remnant of the golden age of headphones has been downgraded.

RIP:
Sony MDR-R10
Sony Qualia 010
Grado HP-1000
Grado PS-1
Audio-Technica ATH-L3000
AKG K-1000
Stax Omega I
Stax Omega II Mk I
Sennheiser HE60
Sennheiser HE90

I may be missing some, but I consider the headphones above to be the golden age of headphones. They're gone, and I'm still waiting to see someone step up with a worthy new entry. Right now, the high end headphones are (again IMO):

Grado RS-1
Sennheiser HD-650
Stax-Omega II MkII

While these are all good headphones, they just aren't at the level of the ones that are gone (yet another IMO). The one possible exception may be the RS-1 (and yet people are now paying exhorbitant sums for vintage RS-1's. Have those gone downhill also?)

Should the "high-end" forum be more appropriately titled the "vintage headphone" forum?

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 74
I am afraid you are right!
Have to say I have not auditioned the SR-007MK2. But from what I have read its a clear step back from the SR-007, which is a real shame. At least Stax have not abandoned the Omega 2 completely.
In comparison to Sennheiser, AKG, Audio-Technica, Sony and Grado, who have abandoned their highest regarded headphones.

He-Audio may be the light in the end of the tunnel. Otherwise it seems quite dark these days.
In some way I understand that the vendors go to the big masses, selling mid-level gear, and probably have a higher revenue.

But its a real shame for us "real" headphone lovers.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should the "high-end" forum be more appropriately titled the "vintage headphone" forum?

The High-End forum is about more than headphones. Like amplifiers, source, cables, ... , so imo the name should stay.

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x², but you will catch a rash from the 'Something (disturbing) about Ultrasone' crowd, and, of course, the Denon 'better than R-10' devotees. I am not at all a Grado fan (and have heard those you listed), but your list is inarguable.

The question is why have these chest thumping technology adventures gone away? These NEVER were about the $$$. No one cares about accomplishment anymore? Me thinks they do, and it is simply dark now, with a dawn coming.

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x², but you will catch a rash from the 'Something (disturbing) about Ultrasone' crowd, and, of course, the Denon 'better than R-10' devotees. I am not at all a Grado fan (and have heard those you listed), but your list is inarguable.

The question is why have these chest thumping technology adventures gone away? These NEVER were about the $$$. No one cares about accomplishment anymore? Me thinks they do, and it is simply dark now, with a dawn coming.

Company technological breakthroughs are no longer measured in SQ but in $. If they can sell 10x more of the lesser quality, that's the corporate mentality. Pride of accomplishment seems to have been pushed out as too expensive.

Aug 15, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 74
I agree completely, though I think that the older [RIP] RS-1's can compete with those you first listed, as can the K340.
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 74
I agree. What’s strange is the market has matured and there seems to be more people willing / eager to spend more on a nice set of headphones.

All the listed ones are out of production and getting old. I’m hesitant at this point to try more of them because of their age and in some / most cases lack of manufacturer support.

How about the He Audio electrostatics? They seem to be the only up and coming contender that would interest me but the QC issues need to be ironed out before I do.

Mitch

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 74
Apart from the Stax 4070 and the Koss ESP/950 things are looking very bleak. The HE 1.2B might be a contender but they really have to clean up their act and spend more on R&D which doesn't involve customers...

Btw. The SR-007 Mk2 can be fixed but it is not really easy and they turn into a slightly more forward version of the Mk1. I'm fairly sure that Stax will revise the design at some time in the future as they did with the 4070 when they see sales dropping and the used price of Mk1 units going up.

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In comparison to Sennheiser, AKG, Audio-Technica, Sony and Grado, who have abandoned their highest regarded headphones.

He-Audio may be the light in the end of the tunnel. Otherwise it seems quite dark these days.
In some way I understand that the vendors go to the big masses, selling mid-level gear, and probably have a higher revenue.

But its a real shame for us "real" headphone lovers.
frown.gif

The High-End forum is about more than headphones. Like amplifiers, source, cables, ... , so imo the name should stay.

Don't count out Audio-Technica as they will have something for their 50th anniversary. Unfortunately for the others, I'll have to agree with the OP. I can't ascertain as to whether the newer O2MK2 is inferior to its predecessor, but I should confirm sometime next week. I hope it isn't the case.

HE Audio won't be on my shopping list until they finalize all QC issues.

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 74
The high end should come back. The demand and price jumps have only really happened in the past 12-18 months. It takes awhile for the beancounters to notice and give the green light. Once one of the companies goes forward and makes money, the others will follow. It has more to do with demand than anything.

Aug 15, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 74
The big guys dropped the better headphones, the little guys upped the ante on amps.
The only way the headphones will come back is if a couple of smaller outfits make a killer unit.
If we were waiting for Denon or Sennheiser to make a great headphone amp, we would still
be waiting. Come on,Alex, it's time for APuresound to make some great cans!

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The high end should come back. The demand and price jumps have only really happened in the past 12-18 months. It takes awhile for the beancounters to notice and give the green light. Once one of the companies goes forward and makes money, the others will follow. It has more to do with demand than anything.

Lets hope you are correct!
I would not mind an AKG K2000, Sennheiser HE100, Grado HP-2000, ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on,Alex, it's time for APuresound to make some great cans!

Yes - and I still have dibs on that first electrostatic pair - numbered #666, of course.

KG was working on an amp project with Senn on _something_ and kept dropping hints of impending excitement. Let us hope that has not been abandoned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back