Is it really that easy?
May 23, 2002 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

kerelybonto

doo-di-doo-di-dum doo-di-dum doo-di-doo-di-dum
I've started reading through all the DIY threads recently, and the success stories of various first-timers have inspired me to take on a project myself. Well, I'm thinking about it anyway.

I read through Tangent's tutorial and many of his other articles and links, and the whole thing doesn't really seem that complicated. I don't even have any cans that actually need an amp, but damn it, it just looks like fun to build these things!

So then I started thinking. I don't even think I've ever picked up a soldering iron before. I've definitely never done anything positive in my messings-around with various electronics components. My familiarity with with ohms, amps, and volts stems entirely from high school physics classes. Hmm.

Do you really think it's possible for someone with basically no electronics expertise to attempt a project like Tangent's CMoy pocket amp without incurring any major damage to self or surroundings?

Let me know what you think. If I decide to give it a try, I expect lots of help -- I'll be sure to post hi-res pics of my fried components for all to ogle at.

Anyway.

kerelybonto

May 23, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 24
Go for it, kerelybonto!!

I've never picked up a soldering iron before, but I made it.
Make sure you understand tangent's tutorial, read websites that teach you how to solder properly. Most importantly, learn how to desolder. Ask questions if you can't find answers in the archive.

It's no rocket science, but I am a little more proud of myself everytime I pick up my little CMOY.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 24
Go for it, kerelybonto!!

I've never picked up a soldering iron before, but I made it.
Make sure you understand tangent's tutorial, read websites that teach you how to solder properly. Most importantly, learn how to desolder. Ask questions if you can't find answers in the archive.

It's no rocket science, but I am a little more proud of myself everytime I pick up my little CMOY.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 24
I think you can do it easily. A cmoy is very simple and tangent's tutorials make it even more so.

basicly there are two things to remember to keep yourself from hurting something:

1. Metal conducts heat, so holding onto a wire while you are soldering it is a bad idea.

2. Socket the opamp(s) so you don't have to worry about hurting the opamps while soldering them. You are more likly to screw things up if you worry.

May 23, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 24
Go for it! The CMOY was my first DIY project as well and it turned out great.
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 24
As long you're not afraid to get burn then go for it. I'm assuming you haven't handled a soldering iron.
smily_headphones1.gif

jayel

p.s build a basic cmoy then a GO FOR A GILMORE AMP! you'll love it.
smily_headphones1.gif
That's what I did.

May 23, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 24
I won't say DIY is "easy" -- it's a technical subject, and even if you follow the instructions to the letter you can get unexpected problems. That's the main reason to start with a CMoy amp, though -- it has the minimum number of components to get a useful sound improvement, and all of its components are very tolerant. The components are all inexpensive, too, so you can buy extras in case you fry something as a result of your inexperience. Once you've mastered the CMoy type amp, then you can start getting into the truly difficult stuff. Tubes, complex topologies, discrete designs, class A, fast op-amps...

You say you don't have cans that need amplification. IMHO, that's a contradiction in terms. I have yet to hear a headphone that didn't sound better when plugged into even the humble CMoy amp, vs. plugged into the headphone jack of any piece of stereo gear I own. Since I "need" better sound, I need an amplifier, no matter what headphones I'm listening to. Since you're here reading this forum, you're probably the same way.

A Cmoy amp isn't the be-all and end-all of amplifiers. You'll probably want a better amplifier eventually. If you're tring to get the best possible amplifier on your first try, then please change my vote to "run away!"
smily_headphones1.gif
That said, a CMoy amp will serve you well -- it's an excellent value, and an ideal project to get you started in DIY.

May 23, 2002 at 10:21 AM Post #9 of 24
Go for it. The last time I soldered anything was about fifteen years ago.
Use Tangents tutorial and parts list.
Took me about a half day total to put everything together. Now I just have to figure out how to put in that case.
The other problem you're going to have is once you finish, you want to start tweaking and upgrading.
md

May 23, 2002 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 24
Okay, thanks for all the votes of confidence. I guess I'll do this.

Tangent, can you explain a bit about your optional parts list for the project? Some of them seem to be optional replacement/alternative parts and others additional parts. I'll stick with the ones in the required list primarily, but which of the additional parts in the optional list do you think I should pick up? The switches and volume controls? -- will those add significantly to the difficulty of the project?

Thanks.

kerelybonto

May 24, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 24
The parts marked "Alt." are alternatives -- there are many different power caps that will work, for example. You only need to pick one of the options. The one you pick comes down to availability and personal choice. If you don't know what to pick, pick one at random, pick by price, or pick the one with the most interesting-looking part number.
smily_headphones1.gif

I should think the rest of it is self-explanatory. I mean, what needs explaining about "power switch"? If you want to be able to turn it off without unplugging the power source, then you want a power switch.

The more parts you use, the harder it will be to put together, and the more things there will be that can go wrong. Still, in most cases it would be silly to build an amp without a volume control, case and power switch, but that's all technically "optional". I can't tell you what you should buy -- that's your call.

May 24, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 24
Okay, makes sense. I was confused about the "R5, 47 Ù 1/4W metal film resistor" you have listed as optional. That's an additional resistor, right, not the same as one of the ones in the required parts list? I went ahead and ordered all the parts, required and optional -- if I can figure out how to get them in there, I'll put 'em in, ha.

By the way, what exactly does a potentiometer do? I tried reading the thread in the Amps and Source forum and was getting a little confused. Then I saw that it was an optional part on the CMoy amp I got more confused. ...

Anyway, thanks for the great tutorial. I'll let you know how things go.

kerelybonto

May 25, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

I was confused about the "R5, 47 Ù 1/4W metal film resistor" you have listed as optional. That's an additional resistor, right, not the same as one of the ones in the required parts list?

Right. The CMoy article describes the conditions where the R5 resistor might be useful. Personally I never use a resistor in this position, in any amp, which is why the article doesn't say much about R5.

Quote:

what exactly does a potentiometer do?

Look up voltage dividers in your favorite electronics text (or online), then imagine a pot as the same sort of thing, only adjustable. A pot divides the input voltage down by a variable amount depending on the shaft's rotation.

If you don't yet have a book on electronics, I recommend that you start with Forrest Mims' "Electronic Formulas, Symbols and Circuits", which you can get at Radio Shack. It's more of a small desk reference than a text, but flipping through it can be quite educational.

May 30, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 24
Okay, finally collected all the components and am ready to go to work.

If I don't post for a while, it's because I've burned my fingers off.

kerelybonto

May 31, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #15 of 24
You'll like what they do for your grados.
Although I use a slimx, I set the EQ flat and with the amp it sounds almost like I got it EQed.
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back