Is it practical to buy a cable that connects directly from my V800 DAC to HD800?
Mar 3, 2012 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kepic

Head-Fier
I'm currently running my HD800 with V800+V200 dac

someday I saw a member's reply that he had his T1 recabled and connect it directly to V800 and found the sound good.

I found a cable maker that are willing to do a cardas 6ft cable for $250 shipped

the spec is: 

HD800 connectors ---> mini 4 xlr

mini 4 xlr ---> Female Dual 3 pin XLRs 

the rationale is that I'll definitely going full balanced some day in the future and it's easier to just buy another mini 4 xlr --> Male Dual 3 Pin XLRs

my question is, will the $250 be well spent?

I also heard someone say that connecting directly from DAC to Headphone would only degrade the sound.

But according to Fried, CEO of the Violectric, he said running this setup I'll be "astonished"

so...I'm not sure if I should spend the money here. 

and reply is appreciated.

Wade

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 7
It's not going to sound terrible.  But DACs are not set up to drive headphones, ideally.  

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 7
The balanced outputs of the V800 appear to have an output impedance of 110 ohms. That's going to decrease electrical damping down to about 3, which could introduce extra driver ringing and distortion. The HD800 also has a wide impedance peak centered at 100 Hz. The output impedance will increase volume there by about 1 dB, and since the peak stretches out pretty far the wideband increase in bass should be pretty audible. That's probably why people will say it "synergizes" well. The HD800 is a trebly headphone, and the extra bass (and distortion) will warm it up.

So basically it gives you a number of unwanted things, and one potentially preferable thing that could be easily mimicked with a equalizer for free and tailored to your specific tastes.

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 7
It's unlikely that a line level signal will sound good piped straight into headphones, the gain structure and impedance match is all sorts of wrong.

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks, HJ, for your input :D

According to the manual of V800, the output impedance of all analog output is lower than 1 ohm, 

so I don't know the technical result of this compared to the 110 ohm you mentioned

And I totally agree with you, maybe it's the distortion that made other think it sounded "good".

But who cares it's distortion or what, the sound preference is most important IMO

Although V200 handles HD800 pretty well, I think I'm going to give this uncommon setup a try

And see what it would sound compare to the V200

Thanks again for your reply :)

Quote:
The balanced outputs of the V800 appear to have an output impedance of 110 ohms. That's going to decrease electrical damping down to about 3, which could introduce extra driver ringing and distortion. The HD800 also has a wide impedance peak centered at 100 Hz. The output impedance will increase volume there by about 1 dB, and since the peak stretches out pretty far the wideband increase in bass should be pretty audible. That's probably why people will say it "synergizes" well. The HD800 is a trebly headphone, and the extra bass (and distortion) will warm it up.

So basically it gives you a number of unwanted things, and one potentially preferable thing that could be easily mimicked with a equalizer for free and tailored to your specific tastes.

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 7
There are jumper that can adjust the output level from +6 dBu to +24 dBu

I think it might help the match.

Quote:
It's unlikely that a line level signal will sound good piped straight into headphones, the gain structure and impedance match is all sorts of wrong.

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm interested how it turns out, most line level devices just won't have the power to drive such a low impedance load off the line out, if the DAC800 has some more oomph by adjusting jumper settings it would be very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back