Is it possible to mod ER4P memory foam tip into an earplug???
Sep 9, 2011 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

umvue

100+ Head-Fier
My friend needs an earplug to block out the noise during her sleep. I have some spare ER4P foam tips that might help her if I know how to mod them into earplugs. If you know how to mod them easily, please let me know.

Or are there any cheap foam earplugs as good as these ER4P tips that I can buy at a store? What kind of stores can I expect to find them???

Thanks in advance!

Sep 9, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 16
How about you get some earplugs?

The cheap ones are made of foam.

Sep 9, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 16
You can't

Custom ear plugs don't even go that low

You could, get a Noise canceling IEM, wear them and place a Bose over your head and use both at the same time.

Sep 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
My friend needs an earplug to block out the noise during her sleep. I have some spare ER4P foam tips that might help her if I know how to mod them into earplugs. If you know how to mod them easily, please let me know.

Or are there any cheap foam earplugs as good as these ER4P tips that I can buy at a store? What kind of stores can I expect to find them???

Thanks in advance!

Ety makes purpose-built ear plugs.  Check them out on the Etymotic site.  Also, you can buy Howard Leight Hearing Protection plugs  --  I have used these at the track and they work well.  Same concept as foamies, but denser and better than any home-brewed concoction you are likely to come up with. Again, check on line.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
You can't

Custom ear plugs don't even go that low

You could, get a Noise canceling IEM, wear them and place a Bose over your head and use both at the same time.

Really? Then maybe I should just tell her to get a used ER4P
etysmile.gif

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
Really? Then maybe I should just tell her to get a used ER4P
etysmile.gif

IEM's are really isolating, as long as they aren't ported or vented

If she needs ear plugs, for a job or something, send her to a Audiologist. Around $60 gets you a custom made for what you want.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
IEM's are really isolating, as long as they aren't ported or vented

If she needs ear plugs, for a job or something, send her to a Audiologist. Around $60 gets you a custom made for what you want.

I think buying a used ER4P might be the better solution. She can sell it later for a small loss when she doesn't need it. It can also get her hooked to the head-fi world.
atsmile.gif

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
I think buying a used ER4P might be the better solution. She can sell it later for a small loss when she doesn't need it. It can also get her hooked to the head-fi world.
atsmile.gif

Works about the same. Just make sure that you know the deep insert isn't for everyone. I enjoy it, but a lot of people DO NOT

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #12 of 16
Go down to the local drugstore and pick up a package of Flent foam earplugs. I think they have around 30 dB isolation, and are dirt cheap. Some models have as much as 36 dB, IIRC, but 30 dB is easily found. A pack of ten will set you back around $3-$4.

Sep 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Go down to the local drugstore and pick up a package of Flent foam earplugs. I think they have around 30 dB isolation, and are dirt cheap. Some models have as much as 36 dB, IIRC, but 30 dB is easily found. A pack of ten will set you back around $3-$4.

Seems like Flent is good brand according to the reviews at amazon. Thanks for your recommendation.
beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 16
Most drugstores will have an isle full of earplugs.
ER4p's might not be the best idea for blocking out sound while sleeping.  First of all, etymotic tips, especially the triple flanges, are not considered comfortable at all.  They might not bother you, but if you keep them in your ears for 8 hours I can almost guarantee that your ears will start hurting.  ER foam tips are also nothing special, in fact I think comply ones are more comfortable and isolate just as well.  Many people also don't like sleeping with a long cord around their head, which headphones have.
If you didn't know, ER actually makes earplugs.
http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html
they're basically just plastic nozzles that you can stick any sort of tips on.  Something like that might work better.

Sep 10, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 16
"Many people also don't like sleeping with a long cord around their head, which headphones have."

My ER4P has replaceable cable. So you can take the cord off while sleeping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back