Is it even worth it? (Budget amp for sextetts)
Apr 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Maverickmonk

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, I've been posting in various amp threads off and on for months now, as I try to find a budget amp for my AKG sextetts, which I love. The problem is, I have a Marantz 2245 receiver that powers them beautifully, but I cannot listen to them in college, where I am for 2/3rds of the year (and will be until I finish undergrad and then graduate school). I have almost purchased the "lovely cube" and several other amps before deciding not to at the time for whatever reason. My question is, in the less than/equal to $200 range, is it even worth it to try to find a way to have the sextetts with me, or should I sadly consider letting them go in search of another similar can (of which I know none).

amps I've looked at: M-Stage/Lovely Cube, Little Dot MKIII, Waiting for the ODA+ODAC combo, finding a place to stuff a cheap Marantz 2220 in my dorm, etc.

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 13
Going by the specs of your headphones (600 Ohms, 0.9 Vrms, 1.3 Mw @ 90dB SPL), most portable amps should be able to power it.
Fiio and Little Dot is popular among head-fi users, but I haven't had any experience with either. 
I use the O2 amp, which is under $150, and is pretty neutral. The O2/ODAC Combo is coming out soon, not sure of the cost.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 13
I would have thought the same thing, but my maxxed out JDS CMoy can't drive them to their full potential(dual rail splitters for double current). It gets them loud enough, but the sound is very hollow (even to my not-so-perfect ears), to the point that I prefer my nothing-special Koss headphones to them. The sextetts for, whatever reason, be it dampening factor or something else, seem to be more power hungry than the other 600ohm headphones (like the Beyers).

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 13
Ok, the JDS Cmoy doesn't supply any power specs, so hard to tell. Maybe its a design issue.
Your AKGs have a lower sensitivity compared to the Beyers, so they draw more power.
What I can suggest is to try out some portable headphone amps to see if they're any better. Your ears are the best judge.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 13
I'm more looking for a desktop, (of better quality than my uDac, which is blown away by even the Cmoy). not portable, just something more portable than a 35lb vintage receiver in a 100lb stereo rack. Definitely ok with DIY, although I know the budget DIY options (Starving student hybrid, dynalo, etc, are geared more towards lower impedence cans)

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 13
Ok, since you mention DIY. Try the O2. Pretty good design, very good performance, not very big, can be used as desktop/portable both. Can work with 600 Ohms nicely.
Or, if you're into tubes, you can try the Crack OTL, also DIY, pretty good, made for high impedance cans.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 13
K240 Sextetts are voltage-hungry headphones. I wouldn't bother with battery-powered portable amps, I tried my pair with an iQube and it was pretty horrible. Perhaps the upcoming ODA might work, but you'll have to wait and see.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 13
Sadly the Crack is out of my student pricerange, at 270 and still needing a DAC. I guess i'll hold out for the ODA , or see if a good deal on an MKIII pops up for sale

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 13
If you are fine with soldering stuff yourself, you can get the O2 PCB and the assembled ODAC from JDS Labs.
The components for the O2 you can get from Farnell/Mouser/RS, they're about $90. I think it'll just scrape under your budget, and you'll have a DAC/Amp.
The ODA/ODAC pre-assembled will be slightly expensive i think.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #10 of 13
Leave the AKGs at home and save some cash, get the Samson SR850, can be driven by anything.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 13
Leave the AKGs at home and save some cash, get the Samson SR850, can be driven by anything.

I have a few portable phones (koss dj100's, modded SR60's), I just am hoping to find away to bring the sextets, which are magic to my ears with strings and vocals, to my cramped apartment next year.

As for the ODA , that's a shame, but if it's right on the 300 mark, I could spring it, since I won't need to buy a DAC as well. (For a DAC, I'm strongly considering the ODAC anyway.)

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
I have a few portable phones (koss dj100's, modded SR60's), I just am hoping to find away to bring the sextets, which are magic to my ears with strings and vocals, to my cramped apartment next year.
As for the ODA , that's a shame, but if it's right on the 300 mark, I could spring it, since I won't need to buy a DAC as well. (For a DAC, I'm strongly considering the ODAC anyway.)

As I said, 300 if assembled. ~250 or less if you can DIY. Upto you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back