is hornet still one of the better amp?
May 17, 2008 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fhuang

Headphoneus Supremus
hey guys, i'm about to order a hornet but just one last check. is the hornet still one of the best or should i got with others? i think xin reference is good but the waiting is just, ..... nah. my source is ipod line out. the predator is nice but if i'm not going to use the dac. i should go with hornet right?

May 17, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 7
Pico without the DAC option should certainly be something for you to research in comparison.

May 17, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm a huge fan of the Hornet, but haven't tried anything new in a while, so i can't compare. Others might be able to answer or even quick compare whether you should or not get a Predator or Pico for example, even if only using the amp section for now ...

May 17, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 7
this really depends on your sonic priorities, the hornet has a punchy sounds and to me adds its own sonic stamp on the music whereas the pico is far more neutral. I tend to prefer fast neutral gear over gear with designed in sound signatures but there are many who prefer the punchy sound of the hornet. What I have found as a generalization from meets impressions are the newer members tend to prefer the hornet/predator while the experienced members with higher end gear prefer the pico. While this is not always true I have found it generally holds true. If you get a chance try to hear them both side by side.

May 17, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 7
i've read about how good about the pico(i know i can order this amp without the dac part) but too bad there aren't enough posters/reviewers who use iems enough(maybe except Elephas). i care a lot about hiss and noise and i use iems a lot. that's also part of the reason i'm doing this upgrade. the hornet, or ray samuels audio's amp is known to be "quiet". i guess i'm playing it "safe". plus i heard the hornet before and i like it.

May 17, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys, i'm about to order a hornet but just one last check. is the hornet still one of the best or should i got with others?

Look at most of these multi amp reviews that members have done...the Hornet (M) usually ranks in the upper third of all entries tested.

I personally like the Hornet better than the Pico and I find it nearly equivalent to a predator (talking amp only) for half the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back